The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
JBragg1

how many trains are on track
A

Nocama wrote:
jbragg1 wrote: is it official that it needs to test 100 hours or not if it was going to test for 100 hours only with the park open it would take 15 days testing which would mean the earliest it would probably open would be the  Tuesday the 21 of may 2013 
Personally i think that the 25th is the most likely, this will give plenty of time for testing and will allow Alton Towers to make as many changes as they need to and iron out any kinks with the ride
I agree, I think it would be unlikely that alton will open it in mid week, they will want to show it off in front of a large audience. It would also give plenty of time to add finishing touches and complete testing :)
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example :P
warrenashcroft

James97 wrote: Theres quite abit of equipment down there. (Photo from towersnerd)
Cake UK are on site, probably filming an advert:

http://www.cakegroup.com/uk/#clients
N3m3s1s

warrenashcroft wrote:
James97 wrote: Theres quite abit of equipment down there. (Photo from towersnerd)
[insert image here]
Cake UK are on site, probably filming an advert:

http://www.cakegroup.com/uk/#clients
This surely means we will see trains testing today? It would make sense: a few tests last night to make sure it doesn't explode, and then an advert the next day (plus, this will only add to testing hours!)!

EDIT: This company also produced the Aston Merrygold video:
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjeYadO6bN0)
Last edited by N3m3s1s on Mon May 06, 2013 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le?

Nocama wrote: Image

This is posted by the ATG. proof of testing?
I'm confused haha what is this?? I can see how this proves testing all I see is old metal haha ;) can someone please explain why or why not this is testing haha and why t was posted?

Thanks in advance :D
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis

But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
‘Cause I'm Mr. Brightside
haydn!

aircanman wrote:
haydn! wrote: With testing already started, have they fixed the gaping hole between the track and one of the supports? Just above where they we're welding the additional bits in last week?
We still have no confirmation that testing has started.
Testing doesn't just encompass running a train around the track. The lift hills have been testing. The screens have been testing. The maintenance switch track has been testing. No doubt other features inside the station like air gates, breaks etc have also been testing. Testing has started.
aircanman

haydn! wrote:
aircanman wrote:
haydn! wrote: With testing already started, have they fixed the gaping hole between the track and one of the supports? Just above where they we're welding the additional bits in last week?
We still have no confirmation that testing has started.
Testing doesn't just encompass running a train around the track. The lift hills have been testing. The screens have been testing. The maintenance switch track has been testing. No doubt other features inside the station like air gates, breaks etc have also been testing. Testing has started.
To be fair that is a broad sense of the word, actual testing involves the running of a coaster around the track, what you are saying is like when a car is being built they test buttons and doors while its being built, the actual testing is the driving of the car..
aircanman

arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le? wrote:
Nocama wrote: Image

I'm confused haha what is this?? I can see how this proves testing all I see is old metal haha ;) can someone please explain why or why not this is testing haha and why t was posted?

When rollercoasters run the train wheels will leave a wear mark on the track, this happens more when the coaster has been running for a long time, I think Alton Towers Guide posted this to try and pinpoint possible testing, but this just looks like the track has scuffed up against something, rather than a uniform wheel mark.
arsenalfan-1

aircanman wrote:
arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le? wrote:
Nocama wrote: img...

When rollercoasters run the train wheels will leave a wear mark on the track, this happens more when the coaster has been running for a long time, I think Alton Towers Guide posted this to try and pinpoint possible testing, but this just looks like the track has scuffed up against something, rather than a uniform wheel mark.
Exactly. Why would the wheel curve along the track. When it leaves a mark it is generally straight. :moj
Thanks Lewis97
CoasterBen

arsenalfan-1 wrote:
aircanman wrote:
arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le? wrote: I'm confused haha what is this?? I can see how this proves testing all I see is old metal haha ;) can someone please explain why or why not this is testing haha and why t was posted?

Exactly. Why would the wheel curve along the track. When it leaves a mark it is generally straight. :moj
I think what they are trying to bring to our attention is the straight marks along the outside edge of the track, indicative of a train having run along it, and not the horrible scuff. See what I mean?
arsenalfan-1

CoasterBen wrote:
arsenalfan-1 wrote:
aircanman wrote: When rollercoasters run the train wheels will leave a wear mark on the track, this happens more when the coaster has been running for a long time, I think Alton Towers Guide posted this to try and pinpoint possible testing, but this just looks like the track has scuffed up against something, rather than a uniform wheel mark.
I think what they are trying to bring to our attention is the straight marks along the outside edge of the track, indicative of a train having run along it, and not the horrible scuff. See what I mean?
Good point. It is quite possible then. :moj
Thanks Lewis97
MatthewR1990

arsenalfan-1 wrote: Good point. It is quite possible then. :moj
Sorry that just looks like the effect of light bouncing off the cylindrical shape of the rails
Last edited by MatthewR1990 on Mon May 06, 2013 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
Tryst

aircanman wrote: To be fair that is a broad sense of the word, actual testing involves the running of a coaster around the track, what you are saying is like when a car is being built they test buttons and doors while its being built, the actual testing is the driving of the car..
There's a great deal more to testing than just a simple "Does it work?". There's Validation (does the product meet customer (Alton Towers') expectations), Verification (is the product compliant with all the relevant standards and design constraints) and Performance (does the physical item behave as expected in the design).

Validation and Verification are performed throughout the design phase, long before any steel is cut:-
  • When parts are procured, they are subjected to Verification and Performance tests to check that they do what they say on the tin and are suitable for use in the product.
  • Each component of the product is verified in isolation as it is made to check that it is as per the design. (unit testing)
  • When components are assembled in to a subsystem (e.g. an air-gate, or brake), that subsystem validated, verified and performance tested to ensure that it behaves as it should, is compliant with the relevant standards, fits together properly (an integration test) and meets the customer's expectations.
  • When all the subsystems have been accepted and integrated, all will be retested first in isolation (does each part still work), then in concert (do they work together as expected) and only then can the system as a whole face final validation, verification and performance testing.
In the case of rollercoasters and cars, it's important to establish that key subsytems (such as the brakes) work as expected before further testing is appropriate. Thus testing all the buttons in a car before taking it on a road test is wholly appropriate!

And who said that engineering wasn't nerdy or boring?
Coasterfan312

Hari wrote: I only have 2 worries at the moment...
1. That it won't be open for when I go. (26-27th May)
2. It will be horrifically headbashing like SAW... :/
The horrible thing is is that if it opens on something like the 28th, I cant go back as I live 3hrs away from AT :(
As I stated before, Boz posted something a while ago showing why Saw is so bumpy. The wheel assemblies are at the back of each car, so the front car has lots of force pushing down on it, which basically screwed everything up and made it shaky. The Smiler, however, has centered wheels, and has 4 seperate cars, unlike the usual Eurofighter trains. With the opening - I also live 3 hours away, and I'm going on the 29th and 30th (later than you, but not by much), so unless Alton Towers don't meet the May deadline, it's very unlikely we'll miss it.
Last edited by Coasterfan312 on Mon May 06, 2013 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smiling since 1997.
Theme Parks Visited: 19
Rollercoasters Ridden: 75
haydn!

aircanman wrote: To be fair that is a broad sense of the word, actual testing involves the running of a coaster around the track, what you are saying is like when a car is being built they test buttons and doors while its being built, the actual testing is the driving of the car..
So what you're saying is, testing isn't testing? Hmmmm Okay!  :roll:
Last edited by haydn! on Mon May 06, 2013 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roodlesnouter

I don't believe we will see testing today nordo I believe it tested last night. Not much happening on site today other than lighting and fence installations, no sign of gerst either,
http://pixelsattheparks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
themeparkcollective

aircanman wrote: When rollercoasters run the train wheels will leave a wear mark on the track, this happens more when the coaster has been running for a long time, I think Alton Towers Guide posted this to try and pinpoint possible testing, but this just looks like the track has scuffed up against something, rather than a uniform wheel mark.
Look at the bottom of the track not the side. There is a long line of wear marks on the underside of the track. This means definite testing!
Last edited by themeparkcollective on Mon May 06, 2013 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dylan.tempelaars

roodlesnouter wrote: I don't believe we will see testing today nordo I believe it tested last night. Not much happening on site today other than lighting and fence installations, no sign of gerst either,
is there signs of any news teams? eg: itv or cake company thing? :D
some people call me insane, you are right!
InnovTech

I'm pretty sure the that the lights they have brought in today will not be a permanent feature.  They will be hired in from a rental company (like mine) for the purpose of a night photo/video shoot.

There looks to be three kinds of light down there (as numbered in the photo above),

1. Moving Head Profile Spotlight for projecting images (eg; Smiler gobo) - http://www.robe.cz/products/article/colorspot-1200-at/

2. Large Skytracker Beam Light - http://www.studiodue.com/dominator-6000.html

3. Large outdoor Colormixing (CMY) flood light - http://www.studiodue.com/citycolor-2500-ip54.html

Only No.1 (The Moving Head) will need the inflatable outdoor dome for weather protection as the other two lights are IP rated for outdoor use.

If they are panning an evening photo shoot with these lights I would expect some fantastic shots of the ride and carriages.  :D

EDIT: Even better if they've got a big stage hazer/smoke machine down there as well, you'll get fantastic light beams int he smoke from those lights
Last edited by InnovTech on Mon May 06, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nocama

I was looking at the wear marks on the underside of the track that are slightly visible, is anyone on sight to see if we can get a better picture of the track to see if there are any marks on other sections of the track?
@jordywilsonmcr :)