The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
Rollercoasters4Life

/\ Ride testing will not be happening today as there are still key areas that need protective fencing. Once the perimeter fencing has been complete (the fencing that separates workers to the track then testing will begin. I would expect tomorrow will be finishing off the rest of the fencing around those areas then Sunday or Monday for the full circuit tests. Today/Tomorrow/Sunday can all have components testing though - such as chain lift, brakes, sensors, etc.
Owen

Rollercoasters4Life wrote: /\ Ride testing will not be happening today as there are still key areas that need protective fencing. Once the perimeter fencing has been complete (the fencing that separates workers to the track then testing will begin. I would expect tomorrow will be finishing off the rest of the fencing around those areas then Sunday or Monday for the full circuit tests. Today/Tomorrow/Sunday can all have components testing though - such as chain lift, brakes, sensors, etc.
Will they be working in Monday as its a bank holiday? also is there any pics of the glass floor tried looking but I couldn't find them  :(
Capt.Barnacles

What do we reckon is happening regarding the marmaliser's base? Surely they won't leave it like that...
Sam198

Thrillmad wrote: Will they be working in Monday as its a bank holiday? also is there any pics of the glass floor tried looking but I couldn't find them  :(
Images of the glass panels in question can be found in Rob from TST's update, here.

Please don't post any of his images directly. :)
Tom_Jephson

Buschgardensfan wrote: What do we reckon is happening regarding the marmaliser's base? Surely they won't leave it like that...
Well seen as the marmaliser has pretty much turned out exactly like this image from the sun I'd imagine the base will look similar to how it does here too. It will need some kind of door on it i'd imagine so that engineers can access the ladders inside.
Also, It looks like speakers are built into the cladding around the base to me too.
For a better start in life, start smiling earlier!
arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le?

I'm so glad with the way the constuction is going we have such a master piece on our hands! Every bit we hated we grew to love Alton have gone above and beyond on this ride! ;) but this may be the wrong place but is anything else happening to the front of the station? I hope as it will brake up the harsh concrete. I wish they,like on the orginal plans but in windows just to brake it up and give it a more modern effect which the x sector is about! I hope my re pave the whole of the x sector otherwise the new marmi might look werid next to the lob Bilvvy aha ;) but Im in a marmite situation over ALL the concrete they have used, some places it works some it dosent and it just look ugly sometimes.... It could not of been cheap Haha but I guess the whole of the x sector is like that, they may as wheel call it concrete world but anyway I sad that discussions have slowed down and I can't wait for them testing to liven them up again ;)
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis

But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
‘Cause I'm Mr. Brightside
bbooth2

ive been thinking alot about the station, theres alot of issues people have with the cleanliness of it all and the upkeeping of the look. i thought wont it look pretty good with abit of wear in it? as if its just an abandoned facility?
Sam198

bbooth2 wrote: ive been thinking alot about the station, theres alot of issues people have with the cleanliness of it all and the upkeeping of the look. i thought wont it look pretty good with abit of wear in it? as if its just an abandoned facility?
It's not supposed to look abandoned, though. :)
Danny

I said about a week ago the stairs would be for the entrance to the queues down in the pit  :D and wow, I would definitely say testing to commence late tomorrow if not Sunday, has all the fence separating public and supports put up yet?
arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le?

Sam198 wrote:
bbooth2 wrote: ive been thinking alot about the station, theres alot of issues people have with the cleanliness of it all and the upkeeping of the look. i thought wont it look pretty good with abit of wear in it? as if its just an abandoned facility?
It's not supposed to look abandoned, though. :)
That's my exact thought haha ;) I hope this is not the final product....
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis

But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
‘Cause I'm Mr. Brightside
Danny

Just thought I'd let everyone on here know, the second video by trisha is on alton towers twitter and the smiler website :)
SonicChips

danny.g97 wrote: Just thought I'd let everyone on here know, the second video by trisha is on alton towers twitter and the smiler website :)
So this "Miles Cedars" character..........

It's clearly "Smile Scared" - adding to the apparent horror of smiling.
Danscott22

How many parts do we think are going to be uploaded in total?
Fishfingerish

Nice to see The old echoey Oblivion voice in it!

Don't look down Miles! Don't look down! - I nearly died of excitement...
Towers Times' resident Muser

Oh yes! Please check out my YouTube channel if it's not too painful:
www.youtube.com/user/hpvideosofficial
TheOutpatient

SonicChips wrote:
danny.g97 wrote: Just thought I'd let everyone on here know, the second video by trisha is on alton towers twitter and the smiler website :)
So this "Miles Cedars" character..........

It's clearly "Smile Scared" - adding to the apparent horror of smiling.
wow nice work
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
sw7nutter

I hope they do something about the draining near the base of the marmaliser because that looks very wet from the inoculater.
In just 1 day I managed: 75 rides on stealth, 8 swarms, the dodgems and a tea cups. February half term was good.
MatthewR1990

sw7nutter wrote: I hope they do something about the draining near the base of the marmaliser because that looks very wet from the inoculater.
There are drains there already. They were laid into the concrete
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
Oblividoom

Has to be some of the worst acting I have ever seen on that video. Good old British theme park budget....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
RollercoasterGEEK100

Oblividoom wrote: Has to be some of the worst acting I have ever seen on that video. Good old British theme park budget....
I have to admit, thorpe do do a better job of advertising and adverts... Some of Altons adverts can be cheesy...

Credit to NemesisRider
A

RollercoasterGEEK100 wrote: I have to admit, thorpe do do a better job of advertising and adverts... Some of Altons adverts can be cheesy...
Just like the big cheesy smile on the smiler logo then  :D
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example :P