The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
AndreJD

Tom_Jephson wrote: How come there seems to be speakers springing up everywhere when the ropers got the one on Oblivion removed? Wont these ones see the same fait?
I may be wrong, but I think the speakers on the lift hill will just be for emergency purposes. As in the loudspeakers for if the ride e-stops whilst there is a train halfway up. The ones at the bottom of the second lift hill will be right in front of the train so will be rather quiet and low enough that any noise is dampened by the trees.
Sam198

Oblividoom wrote: Lots of speakers have been placed on the track. Perhaps this might be the first coaster in the world to have a synced soundtrack?!
That's been done a few times now, I'm afraid. HRRR is a prime example. :)
Kirsty25

Please remember all posts regarding the Smiler's Marketing and recent video can be found here
MatthewR1990

I can confirm that the glass panel shown, IS a piece of floor glass. However. It's not always used for floors. It could be used as a wall to look at the barrel roll for example. I'd make a safe assumption that it is floor glass though. Where ever it does go, it has been marked with dots so that people know its there. Whether its for the floor so people don't think they will fall through, or to make sure people don't walk into a glass wall we will have to see. Like I said though. Glass floor is a good assumption to make right now.
Last edited by MatthewR1990 on Thu May 02, 2013 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
D-Man

How do you think the queue line will be laid out? The same as it has always been or do you think it will be changed a bit?

We were meant to have the Plazza where people could walk about underneath the ride but it doesn't seem as if we will be getting this anymore :/

Can anybody come up with a plan on how they think the plazza area might work now and where the queue would go?
Last edited by D-Man on Fri May 03, 2013 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alba gu brath! Scotland Forever!
PeteB

D-Man wrote: How do you think the queue line will be laid out? The same as it has always been or do you think it will be changed a bit?
Cattle pens. Boring as hell, but it's the only way Merlin know how to build a queue line.  I love everything about this ride except that.
D-Man wrote: We were meant to have the Plazza where people could walk about underneath the ride but it doesn't seem as if we will be getting this anymore :/

CAn anybody come up with a plan on home they think the plazza area might work now and where the queue would go?
I don't think there is any kind of plaza. There was supposed to be an area where you could walk amongst the ride but that was when the ride was planned to be slightly higher.  Where the pit is, there should have been a pathway going under the knot, but obviously there isn't room for that now and there would be no other entry/exit from the plaza other than the main entrance which will be just next to the marlmaliser.  It's a great shame, but looks like the whole area will now be a cattle pen queue.
Tom_Jephson

Unfortunately, in this case, I really don't think there is any other alternative but to have a cattle pen because of how congested the whole area is. However, with the trains flying over your head so closely and the marmaliser doing its thing, I think this wont be your average cattle pen experience. In fact, I think it'll be pretty awesome that so much is going off around you as it will create a great atmosphere.
For a better start in life, start smiling earlier!
D-Man

PeteB wrote:
I don't think there is any kind of plaza. There was supposed to be an area where you could walk amongst the ride but that was when the ride was planned to be slightly higher.  Where the pit is, there should have been a pathway going under the knot, but obviously there isn't room for that now and there would be no other entry/exit from the plaza other than the main entrance which will be just next to the marlmaliser.  It's a great shame, but looks like the whole area will now be a cattle pen queue.
I would have loved to have seen this happen. This was one of the things I was looking forward to alot! Being able to move about under the rid and get great views of the cars whizzing by just over your head (although you will get this on the queue it just won't be the same  :cry: ).  The big coasters in america that have plazzas under and between their coasters are just awesome, just feels like the whole ride has been designed to fit the area better in my opinion  :)
Alba gu brath! Scotland Forever!
Instant Mix

Looking at Rob from TS's' photos, it looks like the train is literally two eurofighter glued together. I know the first two rows have to be solid for the train to not fall into the track, but since the fins and stuff taper towards the back of the car, I'm quite worried that we'll be seeing the most rigid train ever.
jbuckton18

Trust AT , trust Gersh , Trust John & Candy's design.

That's all im going to say to people who are being so negative about this ride
Last edited by jbuckton18 on Fri May 03, 2013 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some say they've seen angels, Ive seen The Smiler - That's enough
bbooth2

I know this might sound bizarre, but I cannot wait to get stuck inside that queue! haha, I will queue for hours!
Fishfingerish

Instant Mix wrote: Looking at Rob from TS's' photos, it looks like the train is literally two eurofighter glued together. I know the first two rows have to be solid for the train to not fall into the track, but since the fins and stuff taper towards the back of the car, I'm quite worried that we'll be seeing the most rigid train ever.
Now, ya see, I disagree...

I think they look like four seperate rows, which will be extremely flexible, just look at the gaps between them!

Also, they will have to be extremely flexible to fit round this layout...
Towers Times' resident Muser

Oh yes! Please check out my YouTube channel if it's not too painful:
www.youtube.com/user/hpvideosofficial
jbuckton18

bbooth2 wrote: I know this might sound bizarre, but I cannot wait to get stuck inside that queue! haha, I will queue for hours!
It will be long queues but will be the most entertaining and thrilling queue !
Some say they've seen angels, Ive seen The Smiler - That's enough
bbooth2

I don't mind about the long queue, technically ive been queuing for a year for this thing already :P
mattallennet

The cars actually look good. They look better without the Smiler logo installed on the front! (Put it on the back!)
Last edited by mattallennet on Fri May 03, 2013 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phild94

I think the front car will still have the logo on, the car in the air was more than likely the back 2 rows out of the 4 seater carriage :)

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
Coasterfan312

Back to the queue; I think they've done a very good job with this. Then again, quite a lot of AT rides have decent, interesting queues, but with this, the outside portion (majority) will have the ride going over it all the time, and there'll be the Marmaliser screen going too, then when you get inside there'll be all the theming in there before you board the ride. I'm also hoping that they'll run it in such a way that the loading-to-dispatch time is very low, so the queue goes down quickly. Considering the trains may be dueling each other, I reckon they almost have to make the trains go fairly shortly after the previous one. I'm excited (going at the end of May) :)
Smiling since 1997.
Theme Parks Visited: 19
Rollercoasters Ridden: 75
mattallennet

Every Eurofighter I've been on is ready to go within 30 seconds of sitting down and pulling the restraints down. None of this Air or Nemesis check / recheck business. It just works.
RCD27

Looks like the support has been fixed.

A photo on Alton Towers Guide facebook page shows the piece in place finally.
Sonic Saw Stealth Smiler
DannyNewbro

mattallennet wrote: Every Eurofighter I've been on is ready to go within 30 seconds of sitting down and pulling the restraints down. None of this Air or Nemesis check / recheck business. It just works.
It's all the same, checks need to be done.