The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
Altontowersbarlow

That guys face is creepy!. :D
Andzdrew

I don't like how moist those supports are, it might attract mould! Mouldy and moist, not good.
N3m3s1s

Has the vertical lift chain been installed yet? Also is the first chain instillation finished?
jbuckton18

I might just think JW and AT have pulled off a coaster masterpiece
Some say they've seen angels, Ive seen The Smiler - That's enough
JayJay90

N3m3s1s wrote: Has the vertical lift chain been installed yet? Also is the first chain instillation finished?
Vertical went in a while ago and the first lift hill had chains put in yesterday and finished :)
Owen

N3m3s1s wrote: Has the vertical lift chain been installed yet? Also is the first chain instillation finished?
1.ages ago
2.probably
Forza_Dan24

jbuckton18 wrote: I might just think JW and AT have pulled off a coaster masterpiece
Don't forget Candy Holland :)

It just looks better and better day by day!
Smile. Always. :moj
Big thanks to lewis97 for the signature!
RubyGaga

Why did they cut the support?

Image ImageImageImage
TheOutpatient

Ok a few things:

First I think I forgot to say how awesome the LED ring-screen look. The black looks really good and text looks quite distinguised.

With what Andzdrew was saying: He was getting bit blasted for concern about the supports but I think his concern is justified from the point of safety. I would rather have to wait another 3 months for them to rectify the problems with the ride than rush a single thing to get it open for the end of this month. The builders and a number of other staff will be under preasure for this ride to open but I would like to just say: don't rush anything. If it was up to me I would probably X ray the whole thing and double check everything, since some party has given way to flaws.

There are a lot of supports but then there is a lot of track in a tight space and my predictive physical senses say this ride would probably bring a lot of lateral (and downward) force on the the supports with all the tight, basically circular curves. It's tight and rigid and its gonna be fast.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
jamesc

As far as the park giving a open day within the next week, they will most likely wait until the first tests are done to make sure it makes it around the track ok.

Because if it does not, then it could mean more delays. :(

Testing may well start tomorrow or saturday, as it is a weekend there will be loads of people around to witness it.

Take it as free advertising for the park, look whats coming, for you to revisit another day kind of thing.

I am sure that the park will put a banner up at the site and online with a date, for all to see as soon as they have a confirmed openning date.

This is going to be one great coaster, not too long to wait now, we all hope. :lol:
As long as there is Imagination in the World, there will be bigger, better rides!
Danny

Surely testing won't start till at least Saturday??
Andzdrew

danny.g97 wrote: Surely testing won't start till at least Saturday??
What are we still waiting for?
James-Allgood

andzdrew wrote:
the support to be fixed and thats it
sw7nutter

andzdrew wrote:
They have to be 100% sure that the concrete in the footers is set so when the 10 tonne train moves over it the concrete wont break. Also they have to test all of the electronics before they send it off. They really don't want to send the train off and find it stuck somewhere because a break has misfired or something. Hopefully most of this is done but don't be surprised if it hasn't gone round by Saturday.
In just 1 day I managed: 75 rides on stealth, 8 swarms, the dodgems and a tea cups. February half term was good.
themealgang

Even though the trains are not yet fully assembled, just seeing them on the tracks from a distance is leading to me to think my initial negative impressions of the cars were a little harsh. Still, The Smiler logo plastered awkwardly over the front along with the tacky resort name is hardly ideal, but the physical design of the trains do seem slightly more pleasing on the eye than what I first expected. Looks like there is also going to be some killer airtime to be had on the back car!

I'm excited now.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
altontowersfreakhead

Has anyone got any video links or images of the car actually being tested on the track, because I heard they're testing the cars today, is that true??xxx
ATFH
lewis97
Admin
Admin

altontowersfreakhead wrote: Has anyone got any video links or images of the car actually being tested on the track, because I heard they're testing the cars today, is that true??xxx
ATFH
No, they were just put onto the track today, they haven't been sent round yet.
altontowersfreakhead

when do you think they'll start testing??xxx
Astro61201

at the weekend if all goes to plan (crosses fingers)
cant wait!, cant wait!, cant wait! :uk:
altontowersfreakhead

you know the game the smiler with all the updates is that what you're gonna experience on the ride??xxx I seriously haven't got a clue what to expect!!xxx :P