The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
SonicChips

Ryster wrote: Let's hope they have a virtual queue on this thing.
I understood that to be "mental cues" meaning "a point in which a mental or psychological element will be instigated"

Not a queue but a cue  ;)

Edit by Boz: Please do not chain quote, only quote the bit you need, and remove the rest.
Last edited by SonicChips on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
big cat

aircanman wrote: Noticed someone mentioning the wiring for the strobe system. This will almost certainly be set up using DMX lighting. Which consists of a hardware or software controller, mains power and DMX cables which are basically microphone cables with three terminals.  So expect these basic connectors to be used in the strobe effects.
Sorry, but I had to but in on this one as I've been away on business installing a sound and lighting system in a club and I've missed some of the threads.
Aircanman, since when has audio cable been specified to be used as DMX cable on an install?
Although it is cheaper than double screened and foil wrapped DMX cable, many people use it but don't understand the loss of a data signal on the audio cable is greater and thus will send false data packets to the fixtures.
Plus with audio cable you have the added problem of RF interference from any mains near it (by the looks of things there's a generator near the marmaliser which could cause this)
Codmaster

SonicChips wrote: I understood that to be "mental cues" meaning "a point in which a mental or psychological element will be instigated"

Not a queue but a cue  ;)
I think that vlad was playing with the idea if their being elements in the queue line that will "prepare" you for the ride. Funky play on words, not a typo ;)

Anyway this is all speculation. So :-#

Edit by Boz: Please do not chain quote, only quote the bit you need, and remove the rest.
Last edited by Codmaster on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
GigaSurimi

I think he was rather being ironic about the fact that the queue times are gonna be completely mental to get on this beast when it opens...

Last edited by GigaSurimi on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cookie Monster

Yea i agree, dose anyone know if there will be a fast pass? I know that thirteen has one come out about six months later after it opened
jbuckton18

cookejj1 wrote: Yea i agree, dose anyone know if there will be a fast pass? I know that thirteen has one come out about six months later after it opened
I'd imagine there would be a fastpass for this, but i'm not sure if it will be straight away, or wait a few months like th13teen did. Personally i would be promoting fastpasses for 5-10 quid each if i was AT, the money you would make on fastpasses alone would be insane!

Grammar corrected by Boz
Last edited by jbuckton18 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some say they've seen angels, Ive seen The Smiler - That's enough
Kirsty25

jbuckton18 wrote:
cookejj1 wrote: Yea i agree, dose anyone know if there will be a fast pass? I know that thirteen has one come out about six months later after it opened
I'd imagine there would be a fastpass for this but i'm not sure if it will be straight away or wait a few months like th13teen did. Personally i would be promoting fastpasses for 5-10 quid each if i was AT .. The money you would make on fastpasses alone would be insane !
but, would they sell stupid amounts of fasttracks that the main queue line was shorter?
at Thorpe park last week I didn't see anyone selling fasttracks and it would have been completely pointless but i have heard tales of overselling fasttracks.
jbuckton18

Is anyone on park today? I was going to get myself down there myself, before work called me in! Is anything going on in the Smiler site?
Last edited by jbuckton18 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some say they've seen angels, Ive seen The Smiler - That's enough
SonicChips

As part of the "General" bit of this discussion:

Firstly; thanks to all who have provided great information and updates throughout the build of this ride - I've found it all rather insightful and interesting, having never followed a ride being built before. The Smiler seems to lure me and you all agree, it is a beckoning piece of engineering!

Secondly; this will be my final post. I have had positive feedback from many of you, including an encouraging message from the forum administration. So I bid a fond farewell to all and I sincerely hope you all enjoy The Smiler as we have anticipated.

I don't want to know the secret element or see it testing - I want to wait until I'm there on 5th June to experience it as "new" - leaving the forum is the best way of hiding from this. Also, I feel in recent times that the forum has become too controlled and is far less enjoyable to read due to petty scrutinisation. I understand the need for this, but not to the extent in which it has recently been administered. Some may agree, some may disagree; some may never read this due to deletion (ironically caused by the very reasoning of which I speak).
mattallennet

Kirsty25 wrote: but, would they sell stupid amounts of fasttracks that the main queue line was shorter?
at Thorpe park last week I didn't see anyone selling fasttracks and it would have been completely pointless but i have heard tales of overselling fasttracks.
I have been in some 20 minute fast track queues before at TP and also vampire at Chessington. Sometimes staff use(d) common sense and load a single train with fast trackers, this happened when waiting for Colossus. That clears it quickly and "only" delays everyone else by 2 mins. No idea if it ever happened at AT.
Last edited by mattallennet on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirsty25

mattallennet wrote:
Kirsty25 wrote: but, would they sell stupid amounts of fasttracks that the main queue line was shorter?
I have been in some 20 minute fast track queues before at TP and also vampire at Chessington. Sometimes staff use(d) common sense and load a single train with fast trackers, this happened when waiting for Colossus. That clears it quickly and "only" delays everyone else by 2 mins. No idea if it ever happened at AT.
Ah okies

Back on topic - so are we just waiting on that support being fixed and cars being loaded before testing starts?
Epsilon

Kirsty25 wrote: Back on topic - so are we just waiting on that support being fixed and cars being loaded before testing starts?
I believe the cars are already in the maintenance shed, and they're waiting until all the safety tests (brakes, lift hills, sensors, etc.) are done. When that's all out of the way, the cars will then be allowed onto the actual coaster itself.
Last edited by Epsilon on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boz

Epsilon wrote: I believe the cars are already in the maintenance shed, and they're waiting until all the safety tests (brakes, lift hills, sensors, etc.) are done. When that's all out of the way, the cars will then be allowed onto the actual coaster itself.
According to our Gerst contact, the systems testing was supposed to start today, so it shouldn't be too long now :)
Kirsty25

Boz wrote: According to our Gerst contact, the systems testing was supposed to start today, so it shouldn't be too long now :)
Yay :D that's really exciting news! Will people be able to film the testing do you reckon? I can't wait to see this beast, and what's going on with the support do we know? why was it chopped?
Owen

Kirsty25 wrote:
Boz wrote: According to our Gerst contact, the systems testing was supposed to start today, so it shouldn't be too long now :)
Yay :D that's really exciting news! Will people be able to film the testing do you reckon? I can't wait to see this beast, and what's going on with the support do we know? why was it chopped?
Well I think the weekend will see car testing but maybe tomorrow see marmi's features being tested? I'm looking forward to seing the tickler/hypnotiser being tested  :D
Owen

Awswarm!
Credit to TATG twitter
mattallennet

Epsilon wrote:
Kirsty25 wrote: Back on topic - so are we just waiting on that support being fixed and cars being loaded before testing starts?
I believe the cars are already in the maintenance shed, and they're waiting until all the safety tests (brakes, lift hills, sensors, etc.) are done. When that's all out of the way, the cars will then be allowed onto the actual coaster itself.
Yep I'd imagine system tests are pretty thorough at this stage. Am I right in thinking footers and queue fencing haven't been completed yet? Good chance to sort these out before the action begins.
Forza_Dan24

I remember seeing a photo of plenty of chain that hadn't been installed in the first lift hill yesterday. Any ideas whether this has now been installed? Hope so!
Smile. Always. :moj
Big thanks to lewis97 for the signature!
ManiaMuse

mattallennet wrote: Yep I'd imagine system tests are pretty thorough at this stage. Am I right in thinking footers and queue fencing haven't been completed yet? Good chance to sort these out before the action begins.
I think queue fencing and signs will be done as an when they can when they're not testing, probably right up until the morning of the opening.
truckaddict

Did any testing happen today??

Bi and proud