The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
torps235

You can't project onto track covered in black paint!!! Ridiculous idea
SonicChips

You wanna cover the track in this shizzle:

Don't bother going all practical on me now, peeps - it's a supposition and I'm not realistically suggesting it will be done!

Still - it'd frighten the monkeys out of many folk if the track (or train) were to be coated in this.
Mattfat1

Damn just beat me too it.

If the track was white when it went in we would be sure to have the track projected on, but it isn't. (how good would have speculation been over the last few months if they installed a small section of white track underground)

I'm very exited to see whats going to happen now, think we have found another place for some of this £18million to be spent on... The possibilities are endless, maybe even have 4/5 different projections that vary for each train!
Evostance

torps235 wrote: You can't project onto track covered in black paint!!! Ridiculous idea
Of course you can, I've done it myself.  There is a difference in the brightness obviously, but if the entire room is black then it wouldn't make a difference

A 2000 lumen projector will work perfectly
Last edited by Evostance on Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andzdrew

It'll be the walls that are projected onto if it's going to be done
Evostance

I feel a bit guilty of derailing the construction thread.

Speculation about projectors etc over here:
http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/the-smil ... tion/1725/
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Although not specifically predicting the projectors, I said this on the 4th January:
Some ideas for you;
Could the indoor part of the ride give the illusion of certain elements, such as a beyond vertical drop, or multiple inversions, without actually doing them?
Perhaps that idea wasn't as random and unfeasible as I originally thought.

Also, are there any photos from what's been going on onsite today?
Danscott22

The Alton Towers Guide says nothing is going on apart from groundworks today^^
Danny

Danscott22 wrote: The Alton Towers Guide says nothing is going on apart from groundworks today^^
Well, as far as the eye can see  ;)
ollboll9

Do they not need to concrete footers and stuff like the chain for the 1st lift (not sure if it's in or not) so we can start testing :D :D???
Poop. Always
MatthewR1990

ollboll9 wrote: Do they not need to concrete footers and stuff like the chain for the 1st lift (not sure if it's in or not) so we can start testing :D :D???

They also need to check all bolts and supports. As well as fixing the supports that currently don't fit. I wouldn't expect any testing until next week now.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
N3m3s1s

I read a comment on youtube, and I totally agree:

StaticVeins:
"The Disorientator" will be the indoor barrel roll featuring strobes and other effects. Note the screen says "carriage rotation", not "carriage rotationS" - the number is referring to degrees in a rotation, not how many rotations. The carriage will rotate once (the barrel roll) and the other effects will make it even more disorientating; hence the name :P

Couldn't sum it up better in my opinion!
Owen

N3m3s1s wrote: I read a comment on youtube, and I totally agree:

StaticVeins:
"The Disorientator" will be the indoor barrel roll featuring strobes and other effects. Note the screen says "carriage rotation", not "carriage rotationS" - the number is referring to degrees in a rotation, not how many rotations. The carriage will rotate once (the barrel roll) and the other effects will make it even more disorientating; hence the name :P

Hasn't this been posted before
Rollercoasters4Life

Thrillmad wrote:

StaticVeins:

Yes along with what I originally put on here before that comment appeared on Youtube:
Rollercoasters4Life wrote: My thoughts on 'The Disorientator'

The screen goes up from 0 to 360 - I'm guessing that is the number it stops at and restarts from 0. The word below it is 'Rotation' (meaning one) not 'Rotations' (meaning multiple rotations). So a 360 rotation (complete circle) is a Barrel roll like we have indoors. Then the word Strobes is on the screen meaning strobe lighting.

So basically, to me it just means strobe lighting while going down the first drop and through the first barrel roll indoors and they have named that section 'The Disorientator'. None of this 'washing machine' element.

I do believe however, there will be a little pre-show on the straight track after the first barrel roll and before the first lift hill.
Seems like someone thinks like me, or someone saw what I put then agreed and put it on that video! :P
gouldy

Rollercoasters4Life wrote:
Thrillmad wrote:

StaticVeins:

Yes along with what I originally put on here before that comment appeared on Youtube:
Rollercoasters4Life wrote: My thoughts on 'The Disorientator'

The screen goes up from 0 to 360 - I'm guessing that is the number it stops at and restarts from 0. The word below it is 'Rotation' (meaning one) not 'Rotations' (meaning multiple rotations). So a 360 rotation (complete circle) is a Barrel roll like we have indoors. Then the word Strobes is on the screen meaning strobe lighting.

So basically, to me it just means strobe lighting while going down the first drop and through the first barrel roll indoors and they have named that section 'The Disorientator'. None of this 'washing machine' element.

I do believe however, there will be a little pre-show on the straight track after the first barrel roll and before the first lift hill.
Seems like someone thinks like me, or someone saw what I put then agreed and put it on that video! :P

I must admit, I have, myself, quoted what you said on the subject on another website.  It seemed to me that you'd hit the nail on the head and quite eloquently, too - so I just quoted you ;)
N3m3s1s

Sorry, didn't realise! Still an extremely valid point. :moj
Vladimir Bobinski

aress wrote: What will be the tallest point of the ride from the ground? Will it be over 100ft?
Same height as the tallest point of oblivion if you use the same measuring point.
Phild94

Vladimir Bobinski wrote:
aress wrote: What will be the tallest point of the ride from the ground? Will it be over 100ft?
Same height as the tallest point of oblivion if you use the same measuring point.
Both lift hills reach a height of 72ft if memory serves me right (which would be a minor miracle XD)

Also was on park today.... Barely anything happened whilst I was there so there wasn't much point in taking photos of everything we already know and clog up the forum with far far FAR too many pics of nothing XD.... A bit of painting on the station.... That was it really... :/ the place seemed a little dead.... On the plus side all ride times were at 0/5minutes all day :D
Last edited by Phild94 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
clayj

roodlesnouter wrote: Image
I don't know if there is anyone else on here who also has an electronical background but why are they using IP rated doubled sockets to wire up the flasher's lights ?? They would have been far better & neater using a couple of PVC adaptable boxes containing the nesecery connections. Even if they are using RCD protected sockets, this could easily be achieved neater inside an adabtable box.
I can see what they are doing here... Creating overlapping images of the smiler logo... One which will only be seen by riders which go into the breakrun from final turn around (or possibly toilet block) as they are painting te different logos on different sides of the corrugated panels.
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
TheOutpatient

clayj wrote:
I don't know if there is anyone else on here who also has an electronical background but why are they using IP rated doubled sockets to wire up the flasher's lights ?? They would have been far better & neater using a couple of PVC adaptable boxes containing the nesecery connections. Even if they are using RCD protected sockets, this could easily be achieved neater inside an adabtable box.
Would those be batteries in the picture which store electricity from the solar panels which leads to the situation you described? (sorry, not a sparky)
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/