owenjohn wrote:
A wrote:
We don't know, we've never seen fins on lift hills before

Maverick?

They're not "fins", they're LSM/LIM.
Andzdrew

sully1311 wrote:
andzdrew wrote:
youarecorrectsir wrote: Actually I'm pretty sure someone discredited it as a fake webpage... And really? I thought 15 was german for 14  :roll: ;)
No, the numbers are the same so unless it was a typo I think we have the secret element, it's a brand new way of going upside down, maybewith your feet and head swapped over to mmake it look like you're upside down when you're really not.

How about the random placement and length of the fins on lifthill 1... Is that normal?
What? Really?
I give as much sarcasm as I get.

Talking of the train on track, I'm sure they went and got one out of storage just to make sure it was the same 4ft8.5ins gauge as the track...

Or on a more logical note, they've moved it to the maintenance shed?
Andzdrew

gouldy wrote:
owenjohn wrote:
A wrote:
We don't know, we've never seen fins on lift hills before

Maverick?

And also due to the colour and amount they stick out compared to the vertical lift, is say these look like random sized and placed pinch brakes
owenjohn

andzdrew wrote:
gouldy wrote:
owenjohn wrote:

Maverick?

And also due to the colour and amount they stick out compared to the vertical lift, is say these look like random sized and placed pinch brakes

Irrespective of what colour they are, the intended purpose (stopping, starting) ,the distance apart, the fact that they protrude from the track makes them fins.
Last edited by owenjohn on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Codmaster

andzdrew wrote:
gouldy wrote:
owenjohn wrote:

Maverick?

Love the phrase, "random sized and placed". Nothing is random, everything will have a calculation, and a reason. They are probably all different spaces appart due to each segment being slightly different, and thus throwing the positioning out. Either way, it won't matter, if they could've used one great big long fin they would've.

Sorry, I mentioned the "f" word.......
aress

Why do my comments keep disappearing? lol
Richardio123

aress wrote: Why do my comments keep disappearing? lol
Mod is deleting them ? :) probably
Signature Pending.. ;D
aress

Richardio123 wrote:
aress wrote: Why do my comments keep disappearing? lol
Mod is deleting them ? :) probably
All I said was enough with the fins! Fair comment, I thought! Oh well  :(
youarecorrectsir

"F'in" hell! Still going on about these fins? Perhaps the debate will only "slow and never stop"... Perhaps we should "launch" the conversation back into construction? If not I will have to "brake" some bones. Hopefully this little comment will be enough to "lift us over the hill" of the argument... ;) fnaar fnaar!
[align=center]"Everybody dies, but not everybody lives"[/align]
TheDarkEmoKid92

Wow The Smiler looks fantastic, well done AT, you will show up the competition of other coasters once again :)
Hari

I totally agree, amazing job! I just hope it opens in time for when i go on the 25th :/
NR
aircanman

Can't wait for a good POV to come out for it, I won't be going for a while after it is built.
Codmaster

aircanman wrote: Can't wait for a good POV to come out for it, I won't be going for a while after it is built.
I hope that a newspaper will do an official one, like the times did for saw. Itv covered th13teen. So I can't imagine that alton would surpass the chance of free marketing such as this.
SonicChips

sw7nutter wrote:
Hazbean wrote:
You're wrong. :) They're called Inverted Drops on The Smiler game.
Arh ok i cant play the game so that's why i didn't know.

As for construction was any more of the lift put in today or is it still how it was earlier?
Time to join in the debate here as I think there's a point (something which I was thinking but never had the brass to express, for fear of all you fine roller coaster "know-it-alls" hastily putting my thoughts to shame). I mean that playfully, not offensively - so please take none.

Anyway, the point which I'm feeling is that the drops don't really appear to be what I would call an inverted drop. Mumbo Jumbo in Flamingo Land has one (although it's a small one), and I don't mean the first drop on it, I know that one's just a more than vertical drop. There's one near the end where it does a roll as it drops, meaning some of the actual "dropping" part is inverted. As mentioned above, the game refers to them as inverted drops. Sorry but it doesn't. It calls one of them an inverted drop and t'other one a twisted drop. (We might be splitting hairs here, I know.)

I may be, and probably am, mistaken here but I don't recall seeing a picture showing both drops in order to make a comparison and to judge (for want of a better word) whether or not the drops are inverted. I, provisionally, am in the box labelled "it inverts then drops".

It's not a real box.

Moving on a little now - my main thoughts on the construction of The Smiler (this is the construction thread) is that it's a job well done. I know there has been (pragmatically if not directly) some negative feedback on various elements of the build. I believe some of y'all work within the construction industry, and you are likely best suited to provide me with parliamentary style cheers. This has been an engineering masterpiece from the design phase and throughout. My most gracious of thanks to all who have been privileged to work on The Smiler thus far, including the apprentice, no doubt doing many brew runs for the lads on site!
MatthewR1990

SonicChips wrote:
sw7nutter wrote:
Hazbean wrote:

As for construction was any more of the lift put in today or is it still how it was earlier?
Time to join in the debate here as I think there's a point (something which I was thinking but never had the brass to express, for fear of all you fine roller coaster "know-it-alls" hastily putting my thoughts to shame). I mean that playfully, not offensively - so please take none.

Anyway, the point which I'm feeling is that the drops don't really appear to be what I would call an inverted drop. Mumbo Jumbo in Flamingo Land has one (although it's a small one), and I don't mean the first drop on it, I know that one's just a more than vertical drop. There's one near the end where it does a roll as it drops, meaning some of the actual "dropping" part is inverted. As mentioned above, the game refers to them as inverted drops. Sorry but it doesn't. It calls one of them an inverted drop and t'other one a twisted drop. (We might be splitting hairs here, I know.)

I may be, and probably am, mistaken here but I don't recall seeing a picture showing both drops in order to make a comparison and to judge (for want of a better word) whether or not the drops are inverted. I, provisionally, am in the box labelled "it inverts then drops".

It's not a real box.

Moving on a little now - my main thoughts on the construction of The Smiler (this is the construction thread) is that it's a job well done. I know there has been (pragmatically if not directly) some negative feedback on various elements of the build. I believe some of y'all work within the construction industry, and you are likely best suited to provide me with parliamentary style cheers. This has been an engineering masterpiece from the design phase and throughout. My most gracious of thanks to all who have been privileged to work on The Smiler thus far, including the apprentice, no doubt doing many brew runs for the lads on site!
Just correcting you slightly on one thing. There is no beyond vertical drop on this coaster :)
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
118hazaman

SonicChips wrote:
sw7nutter wrote:
Hazbean wrote:

[Irrelevant thoughts here]
As mentioned above, the game refers to them as inverted drops. Sorry but it doesn't. It calls one of them an inverted drop and t'other one a twisted drop.
Does anyone know which drop is the inverted one and which is the twisted one? Is the 1st drop the inverted drop? Can someone also grab two photos of the drops and compare them here, to see the 'actual' difference. I would do it but I am on a phone, making it very difficult.
James-Allgood

no other updates from today yet then?
SonicChips

MatthewR1990 wrote:
SonicChips wrote:
sw7nutter wrote: Arh ok i cant play the game so that's why i didn't know.

It's not a real box.

Just correcting you slightly on one thing. There is no beyond vertical drop on this coaster :)
I was still referring to Mumbo Jumbo when I said that. My apologies for the lack of clarity on my part  :)
JayJay90

118hazaman wrote:
SonicChips wrote:
sw7nutter wrote: Arh ok i cant play the game so that's why i didn't know.

[Irrelevant thoughts here]
As mentioned above, the game refers to them as inverted drops. Sorry but it doesn't. It calls one of them an inverted drop and t'other one a twisted drop.
Does anyone know which drop is the inverted one and which is the twisted one? Is the 1st drop the inverted drop? Can someone also grab two photos of the drops and compare them here, to see the 'actual' difference. I would do it but I am on a phone, making it very difficult.
First drop (credit to Roodlesnouter)

Second Drop (theme park worldwide)

The second looks more of a corkscrew whereas the first looks more twisted to me
Last edited by JayJay90 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coastercrazy18

Is it me or dos the frame to the secound drop look a bit slanted. Is it suppost to be like that?
Last edited by coastercrazy18 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
its always good to go to the dentist so you can get a better smile :D