The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
astralAndy

JayJay90 wrote:
Some may have a gap between coaster being erected and starting testing because they HAVE the time...Alton dont unfortunately and really need to start ASAP to get this ride open during May.
Can you remember, waay back in the very olden days, when this ride was 'definitely' going to be running - not just testing or even just having the track up  - but actually open and having customers riding it... on March 16th?!?!?  :shock: :lol:

Seems so ludicrous now, imagine them racing around with bits of Marmaliser trying to throw it up in a week, painting station, resolving track problems (  ;) ) and everything else. Was it ever actually possible to get this huge project done for such an early date? Even with perfect weather? I mean, maybe it seemed so at a push when looking forward from November, but people were still adamant right into late Jan early Feb that it was going to 'fly up' etc and all be ready. I always thought it was impossible but I'm not an expert and was going by the the more seasoned coaster forum veterans opinions that it would still in fact be ready for park opening.

Was everyone surprised / caught out, including AT and Gerst?
JayJay90

In terms of timings as they are now

If they want to aim for the rumoured 18th May opening, they will need to start testing this by around this coming friday 26th. If all goes well with the 2nd inverted drop and lift hill and getting the chains in, 5 days seems a good time frame for that.

200 hours of testing...theyd have to do 10hour days (20days) to get this ready for the 17th press conference

I think 25th May opening is much more reasonable and gives them a bit of a window if things go wrong etc.
D-Man

I thought themeing part C was meant to be the ambulance?  :? It's now a game station?  :?
Alba gu brath! Scotland Forever!
JayJay90

D-Man wrote: I thought themeing part C was meant to be the ambulance?  :? It's now a game station?  :?
It's Merlins way of thinking... "Why have a fitting theming feature when we can build a shed and make some money?" lol
JoshC

JayJay90 wrote:
D-Man wrote: I thought themeing part C was meant to be the ambulance?  :? It's now a game station?  :?
It's Merlins way of thinking... "Why have a fitting theming feature when we can build a shed and make some money?" lol
Actually I believe that their contract with HB Leisure states that they must have a set number of games stalls in the park, and since the one that used to be at the bottom of the Black Hole tent (i think it was one of those basketball games) has now gone, they need to build a new one to replace it.
JayJay90

JoshC wrote:
JayJay90 wrote:
Actually I believe that their contract with HB Leisure states that they must have a set number of games stalls in the park, and since the one that used to be at the bottom of the Black Hole tent (i think it was one of those basketball games) has now gone, they need to build a new one to replace it.
oooh that makes sense! Still I would rather they had the van lol, I also hope in future they do make the jetty theming thing too, that would be a good addition :)
Morgano

Guys the theme has changed, the ambulance was never going to work based on the new theme. The game-stall is no where near completed therefore there is still an opportunity for them to add themeing.
JayJay90

Morgano wrote: Guys the theme has changed, the ambulance was never going to work based on the new theme. The game-stall is no where near completed therefore there is still an opportunity for them to add themeing.
Dont get me wrong, I know full well they will theme this!
JoshC

Morgano wrote: Guys the theme has changed, the ambulance was never going to work based on the new theme. The game-stall is no where near completed therefore there is still an opportunity for them to add themeing.
Actually in the original plans it was due to be a surveillance van, its just after the teaser video for the Sanctuary came out last year, most people thought it was now going to be the ambulance featured in that video so it would match the new theme better.
Scorpe

Quite surprised, 3pm in the afternoon and no construction updates for the day so far... Anybody on park this fine Monday?
MatthewR1990

There was a van in the car park wrapped up. I remember seeing the update for it many months ago, I'm sure they will still use it somewhere surely? If it was anything but theming it would of gone straight into the park right? And how many vehicles get delivered draped in waterproof sheets really? Lmao.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
jbuckton18

Scorpe wrote: Quite surprised, 3pm in the afternoon and no construction updates for the day so far... Anybody on park this fine Monday?
Not much track work going on today i'd imagine ! A lot of the focus now will be electronics , theming and overall 'look' of the site .. Once all that has been done and the final bits of track work are in place , we should be looking at testing as early as next week !! Don't hold me to this , this is just what i think will happen :)
Some say they've seen angels, Ive seen The Smiler - That's enough
Rollercoasters4Life

MatthewR1990 wrote: There was a van in the car park wrapped up. I remember seeing the update for it many months ago, I'm sure they will still use it somewhere surely? If it was anything but theming it would of gone straight into the park right? And how many vehicles get delivered draped in waterproof sheets really? Lmao.
I will point you to my post about it that I made 11 days ago:
Rollercoasters4Life wrote: Image

Looks like that wrapped up vehicle could of been the ice cream truck that frequents the resort. If you look at the cones on the front of the ice cream truck it looks like they can be made out in the top picture of the truck in tarp.
It could be wrapped up to keep it protected over the winter months.
jbuckton18

MatthewR1990 wrote: There was a van in the car park wrapped up. I remember seeing the update for it many months ago, I'm sure they will still use it somewhere surely? If it was anything but theming it would of gone straight into the park right? And how many vehicles get delivered draped in waterproof sheets really? Lmao.
Ice cream truck that most likely ! ;)
MatthewR1990

Rollercoasters4Life wrote:

Looks like that wrapped up vehicle could of been the ice cream truck that frequents the resort. If you look at the cones on the front of the ice cream truck it looks like they can be made out in the top picture of the truck in tarp.
Why have a WORKING ice cream van delivered to AT in tarp? Why not just drive it up and through the gates? Why all the trouble of covering it. It's a van, it's water proof? Besides all vans share the same profile shape as the one you pointed and I'm not overly convinced that you can see these ice cream cones.

Most likely that if the van theming is real I guarantee it is an empty shell. Ergo no engine, minimal interior full rubber tyres as a posed to pneumatic etc, its a theming element it's not necessary. Which would mean it would NEED to be delivered. Plus the reason it would be covered in tarp is to stop the public seeing it. I'm not saying your wrong or that I'm right, I'm just stating my opinions. This doesn't seem to be an ice cream van in my opinion.

Is it still there by any chance?
Boz

The ice cream van wasn't delivered in a tarp, it was there last year, and was stored under the tarp during the closed season.
jbuckton18

MatthewR1990 wrote:
Rollercoasters4Life wrote:

Why have a WORKING ice cream van delivered to AT in tarp? Why not just drive it up and through the gates? Why all the trouble of covering it. It's a van, it's water proof? Besides all vans share the same profile shape as the one you pointed and I'm not overly convinced that you can see these ice cream cones.

Most likely that if the van theming is real I guarantee it is an empty shell. Ergo no engine, minimal interior full rubber tyres as a posed to pneumatic etc, its a theming element it's not necessary. Which would mean it would NEED to be delivered. Plus the reason it would be covered in tarp is to stop the public seeing it. I'm not saying your wrong or that I'm right, I'm just stating my opinions. This doesn't seem to be an ice cream van in my opinion.

It's exactly the same shape as a Ice Cream van mate .. If you were to put that blue sheet over the Ice Cream van you see above then you would see an exact copy ! It's an ice cream van , not sure why they have covered it ? Must be a reason for it ? I'm not sure.
Rollercoasters4Life

MatthewR1990 wrote: Why have a WORKING ice cream van delivered to AT in tarp? Why not just drive it up and through the gates? Why all the trouble of covering it. It's a van, it's water proof? Besides all vans share the same profile shape as the one you pointed and I'm not overly convinced that you can see these ice cream cones.

As far as I know it wasn't 'delivered' it was just found sitting there and snapped upon. Then people were attaching the ambulance in the video to this van in the picture and saying it could be that. Its covered up so the winter weather isn't harsh to it. Lets face it, it wasn't to be used for month so why not have it covered - protecting it a bit from the elements? Makes sense to me.

EDIT: Thanks for more clarification to my point:
Boz wrote: The ice cream van wasn't delivered in a tarp, it was there last year, and was stored under the tarp during the closed season.
Hitch

So is that piece of track properly aligned now or are they just leaving it?
MatthewR1990

My apologise I was under the impression it had been delivered and was stored near to where the track was stored. My bad.
James97 wrote: So is that piece of track properly aligned now or are they just leaving it?
I can help you there. It appears to be completed now. Thanks to many sources from park yesterday.