The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
youarecorrectsir

Instant Mix wrote:
andzdrew wrote: Once the train engages on the lift chain and goes clickty click, it is never going to come back down, the ratchet is the failsafe, on every chain driven lift in the world... Why would this need magnetic breaks? No other chain lift in the world has magnetic breaks like this, it simply is not needed, for the people who are saying it's to get the train to slowly come down... Magnetic breaks are not variable, they are on, or they are off! The train either stops dead, or it doesn't. To me it's blindingly obvious that this is a world's first, it's nothing to do with safety at all, electronic magnetic breaks as a failsafe to a chain and ratchet?
Calm down - It's actually a very sound idea. Anti-rollbacks can be a pain as, especially on a vertical lift hill, it can make evacuation a pain. Standard ratchets are a great idea on general lift hills, but how the hell are you going to "slide" people out of a car that's on it's side? A method of slowly moving the car down is a great idea. Magnetic brakes are also passive , they aren't on or off. Their stopping power is caused by the movement of the train itself, not by electricity or friction. The movement of a conductor between a magnet induces a magnetic field, which will then act upon the train , slowing it down. It's actually therefore impossible to make a train stop dead , as if it stopped, no braking force would be created, and the brakes would essentially not work. So actually, this makes total sense, and could actually be a really smart breakthrough.
Totally agree. No point having an evacuation procedure on the vertical where riders cant get out. Magnet brakes slow the car back down the lift hill to the straight piece of track where (if I'm not mistaken) there are regular brakes which can hold the car in place whilst people are 'rescued'. This would explain the catwalk and the unusually large pre-lift section. If there was a ratchet mechanism there would be no way the train would be able to come back down safely.
[align=center]"Everybody dies, but not everybody lives"[/align]
Boz

And yet, we've already seen the evac lift delivered to the site earlier on in this topic, so that would suggest to me, that the evac procedure is still the same :-k the plot thickens
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Boz wrote: And yet, we've already seen the evac lift delivered to the site earlier on in this topic, so that would suggest to me, that the evac procedure is still the same :-k the plot thickens
Could that actually be for maintenance access? Or if the magnetic brakes also fail?

If these are to be part of an evac. procedure, will they have to test it to see if it actually works, as it is then also relying on technical aspects of the ride?
Andzdrew

Are they planning to have to evac the ride very often? What's the purpose of the evac lift if they have this new feature in the design for safety? Usually the easiest thing to do is let the train go up the hill and have it roll back to the station. I can't see them doing all this just because it's a pain to evac?
Boz

The other problem is, as has been mentioned above, that the chain itself will have an anti roll back ratchet, you will see this at the motor end of any compliant chain driven lift in the world. So once attached to the chain, a car can't descend unless the chain snaps, for which the anti rollback ratchet is a backup.
Hitch

andzdrew wrote: Are they planning to have to evac the ride very often? What's the purpose of the evac lift if they have this new feature in the design for safety? Usually the easiest thing to do is let the train go up the hill and have it roll back to the station. I can't see them doing all this just because it's a pain to evac?
The evac lift is probably not an evac lift atall, its probably so they can carry out maintenance on the magnetic brakes.
Altitude

andzdrew wrote: Are they planning to have to evac the ride very often? What's the purpose of the evac lift if they have this new feature in the design for safety? Usually the easiest thing to do is let the train go up the hill and have it roll back to the station. I can't see them doing all this just because it's a pain to evac?
If you've actually seen an evacuation on a Eurofighter, you'd understand.
Katherine

I probably sound kinda stupid asking this, but could someone please tell me what Lims and Fins are? I'm confused.
Andzdrew

I honestly can't believe most people reading this forum (apparently coaster enthusiasts) would so easilly dismiss a blindingly obvious worlds first feature as a safety measure for an evac... When they already have the procedure in place
Andzdrew

Kathy wrote: I probably sound kinda stupid asking this, but could someone please tell me what Lims and Fins are? I'm confused.
Walking and or swimming mostly :-)
Altontowersbarlow

andzdrew wrote: I honestly can't believe most people reading this forum (apparently coaster enthusiasts) would so easilly dismiss a blindingly obvious worlds first feature as a safety measure for an evac... When they already have the procedure in place
worlds first element sounds amazing :D
Altitude

andzdrew wrote: I honestly can't believe most people reading this forum (apparently coaster enthusiasts) would so easilly dismiss a blindingly obvious worlds first feature as a safety measure for an evac... When they already have the procedure in place
No, some of us are just thinking more realistically.
Shangalaing

The fins are for rollback. There doesn't seem to be a ratchet, it's a vertical lift, it just makes sense. Lower noise, a fail safe that takes the train away from being vertical.

Also people have speculated that because then fins don't go over the crest they cannot be for rollback. Brakes are only ever on straight pieces of track!
Kiss my oblivion
Andzdrew

Realistically an evac might be a pain in the arse but it works, it's a rare thing to do, not enough to merit magnetic breaks the length of the lift hill
Hitch

I think its more to do we the noise than anything, if the first lift hill is the same as this one then we will know for sure it isnt the world first.
Instant Mix

Well, if it's "blindingly obvious", tell us what it is then. We're just realistically thinking it could be an anti-rollback mechanism considering it doesn't state on the game or on any plans, nor have we had any hint at all, that it's a LIM launch - the fact that they aren't even in the right place or are connected to any power supply might be a hint that it's not a LIM
arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le?

JonoD wrote: The fact that fins have been installed suggests this to me:

I can't figure out just what those fins are meant to be or what they're meant to do. All I can tell from that pic is that they have exactly the same look as the fins seen on the brake runs, so I'm assuming for the time being that these are brake fins. But that leads us to the next question... What are they there for?

We've never seen any kind of fins of any kind on any other Gerst vertical lift hill, and they certainly don't look like the LSM motors seen on Gerst launch coasters either.

The fact that fins are there almost says to me they're anticipating the possibility the train may roll back down the lift hill. As to why it would do this completely has me stumped at the moment.

One thing I'll say is, I think there's more to this lift hill than meets the eye.
Do you think that we could of a mini Stealth thing going on here?
So if straight track before the vertical lift will launch you up the lift? So the fins will be in case of a roll back.

EDIT: but then again no, I guess it would not work :D
But two other points :D

1, even though a backwards vertical drop would be cool (Oblivion backwards aha! wait they should do that much like the swarm backwards have someone of the oblivion care backward! how cool and scary! :D ) , I will be disappointed if that what the SE is I'm hoping for something more exciting aha.

2, I am just repeating that what I have been shouting at the computer screen for ages aha. JW said you will have to RIDE IT to SEE IT. If whatever the SE is and we are having one, they would not really lie aha. It will have to be from behind closed doors or you will be able to see it without riding it so his state falls mute :D
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis

But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
‘Cause I'm Mr. Brightside
Andzdrew

So you're honestly saying no ratchet at all, if the chain snaps or the train becomes unhooked they simply deploy the magnetic breaks as a failsafe, even in a power cut... To shave off 10 decibels of click clack?
ollboll9

Kathy wrote: I probably sound kinda stupid asking this, but could someone please tell me what Lims and Fins are? I'm confused.
LIM is a type of launch, it stands for Linear Induction Motors, Fins are what the magnetic brakes are called, probably because they look like fins. They are on the track of the V lift.

Hope this helped :D :D clearly there are some people here that don't like being helpful and before you all kill me i'm not trying to be nasty I would just like to say not everybody can know all the technical terms well enough to take the peep peep out of other people who don't. Just to make sure I really don't mean it to be nasty anyways

Rant Over.
Poop. Always
Hitch

Wouldn't the magnets deploy as the train went up the lift hill? so this would mean if there was a powercut the train would fall to the previous deployed magnet, I dont see the problem with powercuts?