The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
temleh

If only it was as easy and simple as planting a few 350ft+ tall coast redwood trees! ;)
Follow me on Instagram! @v05mattclay
D-Man

The amount of supports in this picture is unbelievable! I find it hard to guess which one is for each part!  :D :lol:
Alba gu brath! Scotland Forever!
Sam198

Top of the lift is on site. Credit to TheNigeC:

Codmaster

Nice to see a lot of progress today, but I can't help looking at the sky!
Altitude

I'm glad Alton has a height limit. It means their coasters are actually well thought out and imaginative...
gouldy

Altitude wrote: I'm glad Alton has a height limit. It means their coasters are actually well thought out and imaginative...
Wouldn't have Nemesis without that restriction!

And Smiler looks to be of the same ilk.  Sunken into the ground, as it is.

Really hoping to see lift track being fixed into place today, and by the looks of that photo of the top of the lift; it looks like we might be in luck!
ramplad

Quoting pic above from the nigec, that is the top of the lift, but has it not already got the track connected to it with regards the track shaped rails on each side of the chain run, now having never seen a eurofighter in the flesh before as have only ever been to Towers i may be wrong if so could someone share thoughts and correct me  :|
JAMMYD777

According to Towersstreet Facebook, construction has been halted due to deteriorating weather conditions. I really hope the delays aren't too substantial.
SW7:
SonicChips

I have a question!!!!!

It's not a massive constructional question, but just something of a curiosity which has manifested.

I've only been to Thorpe Park once, but I remember with Saw, the trains rolled around the track quite peacefully - it was a "quiet" ride. Now, if we compare that to Nemesis for example, that's loud. It ROARS around the track. I don't think this is just a simple case of "it's because that's a B&M or Gerst".

I remember vaguely seeing on a program about The Hulk big green thingy in America was designed in a certain way that the track roars as the train passes over; so it's a track design not a train design which causes noisy thangs.....

In what family is the Smiler to be constructed? Is it a "quiet" little kitten named Percy? Or is it a "loud" monster from the planet Zoggram?
temleh

SonicChips wrote: I have a question!!!!!

It's not a massive constructional question, but just something of a curiosity which has manifested.

I've only been to Thorpe Park once, but I remember with Saw, the trains rolled around the track quite peacefully - it was a "quiet" ride. Now, if we compare that to Nemesis for example, that's loud. It ROARS around the track. I don't think this is just a simple case of "it's because that's a B&M or Gerst".

I remember vaguely seeing on a program about The Hulk big green thingy in America was designed in a certain way that the track roars as the train passes over; so it's a track design not a train design which causes noisy thangs.....

In what family is the Smiler to be constructed? Is it a "quiet" little kitten named Percy? Or is it a "loud" monster from the planet Zoggram?
It will be quiet in comparison to Nemesis, or it's closer neighbour Oblivion as the B&M style track is hollow box section. Many parks have actually sand filled B&M's to lower the noise - it's that loud as the sound is amplified due to that hollow box styled spine mentioned above! :)
The Psychoaster

The reason for the roar on B&M's is because the thick box section spine vibrates and amplifies noise from the trains - no other manufacturer makes trains with such wide, reverberent spines. As well as that, B&M trains are usually extremely heavy and relatively long compared to Eurofighers - causing more noise to be made generally. In the case of The Smiler, I'm guessing it won't be particularly loud considering it's thin tri-rail and smaller trains.

EDIT - too late! ;)
spin_doctor

Isn't that something to do with the rails being hollow or not. I heard somewhere once in the past that the rails are filled with sand to make the ride quieter, so im guessing they are hollow to make the ride noisier. No idea how true this is.

Damn sorry, too late aha
ollboll9

temleh wrote:

It will be quiet in comparison to Nemesis, or it's closer neighbour Oblivion as the B&M style track is hollow box section. Many parks have actually sand filled B&M's to lower the noise - it's that loud as the sound is amplified due to that hollow box styled spine mentioned above! :)
Yeah she's right but to be fair on blivvy shes been filled because of the hole ropers fiaso if i rememnber correctly
Poop. Always
AndreJD

ollboll9 wrote:Yeah she's right but to be fair on blivvy shes been filled because of the hole ropers fiaso if i rememnber correctly
Mmm unless I'm mistaken the last time it came up for discussion somewhere nobody knew for sure which rides were sand filled (if any) and which weren't. Nemesis clearly isn't, Air was a possibility, there was a rumour Rita's supports were and Oblivion was doubtful since it's just one car and ought to be quieter than most anyway. It's all speculation though.

There aren't any noise dampening efforts on The Smiler but whilst it will be louder than a normal Gerstlauer (due to the larger, heavier trains) it won't be much louder, and not really an issue.
Alex

Construction finished at 3.30ish but dont think it was down to the weather as it didnt really change all day, just looked like they packed up and left. Could be because the top of the lift hill piece overhangs off the site, H&S measures maybe?

I will upload the pictures that I have taken during the day when I get home.
daboywunda

Ready_23 wrote: Construction finished at 3.30ish but dont think it was down to the weather as it didnt really change all day, just looked like they packed up and left. Could be because the top of the lift hill piece overhangs off the site, H&S measures maybe?
Construction restrictions maybe? I think they're restricted to how long they're allowed to work on the site..
Alex

daboywunda wrote: Construction restrictions maybe? I think they're restricted to how long they're allowed to work on the site..
That's a good shout, I mentioned it earlier to Roodles but forgot about it when i posted that
DannyNewbro

Well it's very windy where I am, guessing it is up there...
temleh

With the risk of going off topic here, what does the sign say on the bottom of the Inoculator leg? In photos it doesn't say The Inoculator (like it does on the concept art), but you can only see the last two letters; 'ON'. Does it say 'Inoculation'?

EDIT: this photo shows what I mean!

:)
Last edited by temleh on Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bealyboy

Sorry a bit lost is the actual track constructed on the lift hill yet?
Thanks
SMILE.ALWAYS