The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
dylan.tempelaars

just to point out, more leg joints are now on site :)
Last edited by dylan.tempelaars on Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
some people call me insane, you are right!
Danny

By tomorrow morning I think all the gas canisters on the giggler will be up as we can see them on the floor ready to be put on. Next to them are more joints as someone has pointed out so apart from the last arm, all the constructed ones should be complete by tomorrow. Why do people think they will work on the first drop tomorrow as both cranes are over the other side of the site, surely that would mean the final turn will be completed?
Sam198

ben.fellows.5 wrote: I'm guessing its the photo building, where you collect the pictures, or video. It could be a themed piece of scenery though
The photo desk is inside the shop, just like Oblivion's.

And as for extra doors, fire exits are always something to consider...
SwEDEN

Quick question, since we're talking about leg joints, what do the joints look like from behind? (what will they look like from a persons perspective if they were currently found on the innoculator leg?)

This is very hard to explain without a diagram, so apologies for if you do not get the question.
dylan.tempelaars

any concepts for what the inside of the shop will look like? also how big is it?
MJNemesis

I'll be glad when it's finally operating - mainly because it messes up my eyes every time I look at the pictures. I can't believe how many inversions are packed in there... it's almost impossible to follow the layout of the track because of the mess of Cobras, Rollovers and Corks.

I've got a feeling it is going to completely alter the perception of what a rollercoaster should be and what it can achieve. The theming looks spot on too, especially the level of detail that appears to be going in to the Marmaliser, with the awesome oil drums for fuel tanks? Amazing industrial theme. I think this is going to be one to beat for a few years to come, even without regarding the number of inversions.

Definitely Wardley going out with a bang. I originally disliked the idea of it being a EuroFighter but I'm genuinely excited for it now.
coastercrazy18

Can i just say thank you to the people who are taking these pictures and posting them they are brilliant :-D
its always good to go to the dentist so you can get a better smile :D
dylan.tempelaars

coastercrazy18 wrote: Can i just say thank you to the people who are taking these pictures and posting them they are brilliant :-D
yes i must agree :)
Peter Mcdonald 95

dylan.tempelaars wrote:
coastercrazy18 wrote: Can i just say thank you to the people who are taking these pictures and posting them they are brilliant :-D
Me to!!!  :lol: :D
Roodlesnouter

TomL wrote:
Rollercoasters4Life wrote: Just uploaded, shows work still going on near the first lift hill and around the trench. Both cranes on from the access road so some lifting of supports/track should start soon, probably tomorrow.

(Thanks to Alton Towers Guide Facebook)
At the back of this picture it looks like they are installing transfer track mechanisms
They were also working on this on Sunday, tough to get a shot through all the twisted metal though. I did grab this shot of one of theworkers grabbing parts out of Gerst office before heading back over to the maintenance building. He also grabbed some of the large screws that have been used for fixing track.

http://pixelsattheparks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JAMMYD777

danny.g97 wrote: By tomorrow morning I think all the gas canisters on the giggler will be up as we can see them on the floor ready to be put on. Next to them are more joints as someone has pointed out so apart from the last arm, all the constructed ones should be complete by tomorrow. Why do people think they will work on the first drop tomorrow as both cranes are over the other side of the site, surely that would mean the final turn will be completed?
The first drop will likely be constructed first as from a logistical point of view, it makes the most sense. The cranes can easily reach over to the first drop from the top end of the site and that is the only position possible for the crane to use without closing off areas that are open to the public daily. Also, by working backwards, furthest away from the service road, so first drop, vertical lift, final turn, second drop and first lift, track maneuverability will be at its best.
SW7:
truckaddict

Peter Mcdonald 95 wrote:
dylan.tempelaars wrote:
Me to!!!  :lol: :D
Me three

Bi and proud
D-Man

So which of the 5 legs is still to be added and where is it going to be built? I'm stuck at Uni all day so don't have the time to go looking at the plans  :(

The whole ride is looking top-notch and I can't wait to see how much bigger it will look once the lift hills are in :)

Do you think we will still see close call theming before the batwing and cobraroll? It looks like there may be some more theming built over the track at the exit of the sea-serpent roll with those footers, but they do look quite big for that sort of thing.
Alba gu brath! Scotland Forever!
Peter Mcdonald 95

D-Man wrote: So which of the 5 legs is still to be added and where is it going to be built? I'm stuck at Uni all day so don't have the time to go looking at the plans  :(

The whole ride is looking top-notch and I can't wait to see how much bigger it will look once the lift hills are in :)

Do you think we will still see close call theming before the batwing and cobraroll? It looks like there may be some more theming built over the track at the exit of the sea-serpent roll with those footers, but they do look quite big for that sort of thing.
I'm struggling to work out where the last leg will go??
JAMMYD777

^^The Hypnotiser is the last leg to be constructed and will be placed in between the Giggler and the Inoculator and will stretch over the second airtime hill to provide a great headchopper.

Construction of it will be a while away yet as the area where it is meant to be is currently the main access point for vehicles onto the plaza under the ride. Therefore the footer to hold the leg in place has not been cast yet. Once all vehicles are no longer needed on the plaza, the footer can be cast and the leg will be constructed.

Regarding the other headchoppers, no one knows at present. I personally do not think they will happen by the cobra roll however there are some mysterious footers near to the dive loop further up the site that will not house supports so there could be extra theme objects up there.
SW7:
Roodlesnouter

Peter Mcdonald 95 wrote:
D-Man wrote: So which of the 5 legs is still to be added and where is it going to be built? I'm stuck at Uni all day so don't have the time to go looking at the plans  :(

Between the 2 legs you can see here, look close and you can see the bracket ready for the Hypnotiser.

Last edited by Roodlesnouter on Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://pixelsattheparks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rollercoasters4Life

Peter Mcdonald 95 wrote:

I've updated my overview map, here is the image:

As of 9th April 2013:
(Larger Image - Click. Things in orange are unknown as to whether they are happening yet)

Also seem my construction phase image is correct that I posted on 26th February:

Last edited by Rollercoasters4Life on Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SwEDEN

I've updated my overview map, here is the image:

As of 9th April 2013:
(Larger Image - Click. Things in orange are unknown as to whether they are happening yet)
[/quote]

UMM, bottom right of that image, (next to where it says the giggler), is that the black shipping container we can see on sight?
Evostance

getothing wrote: This is spoky and industrial ,is fabulous omg omg ,i like the theme¡

Aww, not quite what I was hoping.  I thought they'd be more like:
Adrenalinejunkie2013

I don't know if anyone has noticed this, but I've counted 16 inversions on these plans?