The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
gabbygrace

*sigh* it was all looking so good, but that just looks silly

edit: ^^looking at that makes it look huge, i suppose seeing it in place , again, just shows how huge the Marmaliser is!
Peter Mcdonald 95

Are they going to extend the yellow aerial thing at the top?? On the concept art it is a lot bigger with more satellite dishes on it??  :?
FallenAbyss

I'm wondering if they've used forced perspective on the tower like at Disney to make it seem like it's much larger than it actually is from off the ground.
SwEDEN

Surely we can't be the only ones that think it looks silly... I have faith that the Towers will somehow rectify this what now appears to be a "party hat" addition to a brilliant theming element.
Peter Mcdonald 95

I don't perceptually think it looks silly... but saying that, it just looks like it could have been made bigger  to make the scale of the thing look better! maybe they cant go past a certain height because of planning permission???? :?
Mined you it could probably just just do with making wider!   
Ooooooor, it could just be the angle the pic was taken!?
Last edited by Peter Mcdonald 95 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrOz

Hello first post =)
Those photos look like they show two different satellite towers the small one on top of the marmalizer and a big one used as theming by the oblivion return?
AltonTowerfanatic

Sorry, to post this but I think it's the one last way I haven't tried, I am no longer. Getting notified in my emails about this even though I have commented and told clicked the notify button of the top :/

Any on subject it looks amazing the arial looks huge haha :D
I'm ready to Smile!
Sam198

MrOz wrote: Hello first post =)
Those photos look like they show two different satellite towers the small one on top of the marmalizer and a big one used as theming by the oblivion return?
Its the same one, the earlier picture showed the tower being lifted on to the site. :)

If anything, comparing the two pictures is a testament to the sheer size of this thing.
ryanlovesaltontowers

i think it looks too similar to the theming for Sub Terra, something like that would have suited to roof on Nemesis Sub-Terra instead.
Roodlesnouter

Todays update on the way the  photos are uploading as I type.

No track action today, it was all about the Marmaliser, ground works and work seemed to be going on inside the maintenance building. Lots of pics on the way but here is one for now, can anyone work anything out from it?

Track plans on the bottom, is it station on the top?

Smiler Plans

Full Size Version here to view or download.
http://s441.photobucket.com/user/roodlesnouter/media/Plans/DSC_0636_zpse03e64a6.jpg.html?sort=6&o=0
Last edited by Roodlesnouter on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://pixelsattheparks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AltonTowerfanatic

Evostance wrote:
Sam198 wrote: Indeed it is. :)

Credit to 'AshleeKel' of TST.

That airtime hill looks awesome, just sayin'.
It looked huge on the floor.  Now it looks disproportionately small!
I think it's just the angel of which the picture was taken, and also this is good news! One because a huge radio tower dish thingy (  I believe that's the scientific word for it ;-) ) would look horrible sticking off the top of this, it would be an eye saw and dwarf all things around it and just trust me it would look horrid! Haha ;-) and yes it was huge on the floor but doesn't this just show how huge and massive and bloody ddnfbkslskjesljdrhkkwms ( again another science word ) the maramaliser is as it managed to dwarf that! Haha I'm soooo excited :D
I'm ready to Smile!
JammyBand

Evostance wrote:

I am really excited now, that airtime hill is going to give us a big thrill rush! I was worried that the airtime hills were going to be very small and a boring element amongst all of the rest of the track, but I am no longer worried!  :D :moj
Last edited by JammyBand on Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coastercrazy18

I know its called the marmilser but because it looks like a spider type of thing. if you look at the area that would be the head. I was woundering do you think that they are some sort t.v or video screans that will play something when riders go past?

How can people say that this looks like the theaming of sub - tera. Since when dos the theaming of the nemesis monster look like an illision type of theaming by the smiler?
JammyBand wrote:
Evostance wrote:

I am really excited now, that airtime hill is going to give us a big thrill rush! I was worried that the airtime hills were going to be very small and a boring element amongst all of the rest of the track, but I am no longer worried!  :D :moj
its always good to go to the dentist so you can get a better smile :D
Altitude

I pray to God those trims aren't turned on...
coreylee106

coastercrazy18 wrote: I know its called the marmilser but because it looks like a spider type of thing. if you look at the area that would be the head. I was woundering do you think that they are some sort t.v or video screans that will play something when riders go past?
Yep, this was confirmed quite a while ago, do try to keep up ;)

Altitude wrote: I pray to God those trims aren't turned on...
To be honest i dont think they will be, I think their primary purpose will be to make sure the train has enough speed to go through the cobra roll, also if you look there are catwalks at the side of each bunny hop so maybe they will be used to stop a train in an emergency, we'll have to wait and see.
Last edited by coreylee106 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobJackson85

coreylee106 wrote:
To be honest i dont think they will be, I think their primary purpose will be to make sure the train has enough speed to go through the cobra roll, also if you look there are catwalks at the side of each bunny hop so maybe they will be used to stop a train in an emergency, we'll have to wait and see.
If anything, it'll be the opposite to what you say.

The trims are there for a reason, the clue is in the name. They 'trim' the speed of the coaster train, they slow it down. There primary purpose is too slow the train down before entering the cobra/batwing elements.

They will no way be there for an emergency stop either. The train will be at near enough full speed at this point and they are not long enough. Let alone they have no propulsion method fitted to get the cars going again.

As the trims are fitted with ways to lift and lower, then sometimes they may be used, whilst others they may not. I suppose it'll all depend on the weather, time of day and maybe, if this coaster has a system like Duelling Dragons used too (whereas it weighs each train to find the optimal dispatch time from each lift for the best self duelling) wether or not your trip on the smiler will be trimmed or not.
Last edited by RobJackson85 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.torn.com/1562191 - Torn City, free online txt based RPG. Sign up through this link, get to level 10 and earn 5 million in-game $'s
ManiaMuse

I think the catwalks are most likely just for maintenance reasons (saves having to get a cherry picker to fix it). Besides, you wouldn't want to do an emergency stop there because the train wouldn't have enough momentum to get through the cobra roll/batwing. Other manufacturers do it as well. Image
coreylee106

Seems like Ive been proven wrong then...... :roll:
Sam198

NINJAwarrior360 wrote: Anyone got any photos from today?
Roodlesnouter has been on park all day, keep your eyes peeled for an imminent update from him. :)
dylan.tempelaars

sooo im ready for a update! :D
some people call me insane, you are right!