The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
clayj

I deal with SolarPV at times in work & these look scarily real.. Wonder if they actually are ??

Worlds first Solar powered roller coaster anyone* ?

Photo courtesy of Joss Dutton via T2g

*I fully understand electronic loads & know this couldn't be done with a couple of what look like 1000x1000 solar panels lol

P.S. the green "sensors" don't have to only be for the Marmaliser... They are generally used by the ride's computer system to monitor the process of multiple trains & their location at given time alongside using said data to analyse performance & any potential errors
Last edited by clayj on Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
bigstanny

Loving the pace of construction now, Everything seems to be falling into place. Really do like the colour scheme of black and yellow, As it gives some form/reference to hazard or danger which is quite commonly seen in the construction industry, And really feel it fits in well.
MrMrMr

The lights for the Flasher haven't been installed yet so it should look more impressive when they're installed.
Hmv

TheSmiler1998 wrote:
Hmv wrote:
TheSmiler1998 wrote: I don't get all the secrecy about the chain hill and stuff it obviously hasn't got any of the secret element as shown by the pictures posted earlier!
I don't think there has been any secrecy from AT's point of view, the lift hill will be last on site due to the complicated nature of it. Also it wouldn't be great for the lift components to be sat out in a car park or construction site for a month or two, you can already see what that has done to the other track pieces and lift pieces are more delicate. I believe this is the only reason for late delivery and now that its on site I can see work beginning on them imminently :)

Also all the talk of launches and lims/lsm's, we are clearly having atleast one chain lift if not two you can see this from the components on site. Still going to be an epic ride though :moj
You've got a point but why wasn't it delivered at the same time and just left in its shipping container
Anyway someone from at must have started the cloud cuckoo land rumour and the 12 miles away field rumour
Working at AT myself I've got no doubt an insider probably made it up, but I also know most staff including myself don't have a clue about the construction side of things.
christianwhitedj

Has any one thought of a washing machine effect as you go up the lift hill? Hence why the life hills are taking so long to be implemented and it might explain for the lack of gradient to the first lift hill which is not normal for a GERSTs.
Jack

christianwhitedj wrote: Has any one thought of a washing machine effect as you go up the lift hill? Hence why the life hills are taking so long to be implemented and it might explain for the lack of gradient to the first lift hill which is not normal for a GERSTs.
knd of for speculation, but it has been talked about
sibic

solar panels used to power the flasher and other bits on the Marmaliser?  4d trains would make scene as it the way roller coasters are going more interactive.  so end of the week for the top end to be ready for track?
Hitch

Imagine this thing at night though! Its going to be epic.
RubyGaga

TomL wrote: Work has continued on the flasher... could these be solar panels?
Credit to Alton Towers Guide Facebook
'The Smiler: Worlds First Solar Paneled Roller Coaster'  :shock:

Image ImageImageImage
118hazaman

RubyGaga wrote:
TomL wrote: Work has continued on the flasher... could these be solar panels? [Insert pictures here]
Not really what I was hoping for.
TomL

118hazaman wrote:
RubyGaga wrote:
TomL wrote: Work has continued on the flasher... could these be solar panels? [Insert pictures here]
Not really what I was hoping for.
Id suspect they would create power to power the marmaliser in itself...
Fred_Delicious

Hi everyone, first time poster. I was at Towers today and I took a few photos of the smiler. I'm not particularly internet savvy but I'm just creating a photobucket account, If anyone would be so kind as to let me know how to put photos into posts I'll hopefully get them uploaded asap

King Nemesis

Thank you for posting my image on the solar panel :) man they work fast on getting everything up when I left at 3:15 there was 0 panels on the leg (as far as I'm aware) glad to see I have proved the theming element and will try to upload some more to get a better view
Last edited by King Nemesis on Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clayj

Fred_Delicious wrote: Hi everyone, first time poster. I was at Towers today and I took a few photos of the smiler. I'm not particularly internet savvy but I'm just creating a photobucket account, If anyone would be so kind as to let me know how to put photos into posts I'll hopefully get them uploaded asap

Welcome to the forum Fred Delicious, or do you prefer Delicious lol

See below...

[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
King Nemesis

Here's a little bit straight on view of the panels

Fred_Delicious

Arggghhhh sorry everyone I've spent like an hour trying to figure that out and it still didn't work. I just don't know how to use forums.
Sorry for clogging up the thread. Feel free to delete my post
I'll get back to lurking
Sorry again
Fred_Delicious

It's not a case of the Marmaliser not being big, it's just that anything would appear small by contrast to that beast of a track that surrounds it : )
Today was the first time I've seen the Smiler in person and as soon as you enter the X-sector, wow. It's just unbelievable. I know this is a bold statement but I've never seen such an imposing ride. It's absolutely huge. When you stand at one end of it and look toward the other it's just mind boggling. I was so impressed I bought an annual pass while I was there ; )

If anyone knows a quick method to get those photos on here without having to click the links please feel free to do so, you can even claim them as your own, i just wanted to give something back after looking at all your updates this past few months.

If you can be bothered to click on my links I got some nice shots, including the new theming updates to the marmaliser and also the work that has been done in the vertical lift trench today.
Fred_Delicious

Eugh I just clicked on one of my links and it brought up a tiny pixalated effort. I give up.

I'd be happy to email the photos to someone if you'd like. Just message (DM?) me your email address and I'll send them
Alex

If you email them to me I will give it a go