The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
Altontowersbarlow

Well if it  is tested for 200 hours that means the ride will be tested for just over three weeks so still not that long :D
Rollercoasters4Life

My pictures taken an hour or so ago

Marmaliser hub and first leg:

On going digging on the vertical lift trench and more footers:

Station overview:

Knot overview:

Another angles of Marmaliser leg:
randompixel

chrisa74 wrote: I think looking at those trains that a launch is not going to happen unless anyone can show me a ride that launches trains that wide.
Vertical Launch with similar to Eurofighter style trains
Brazilian13Guy

Just thinking that's not a vertical launch. Yes i know there's no lift, but the launch section in Wicked starts when the train still near the floor, immediately after the station, look at the POV:
Sam198

That's for the speculation topic... Back to construction please. :)
D-Man

Rollercoasters4Life wrote: My pictures taken an hour or so ago

I thought the marmaliser would have been much bigger than this but I think it's only because the ride dwarfs it :/

When you look at the size of the digger in the front of the photo and think of the perspective, the marmaliser sits quite a bit above the digger, so it can't be that small, I just expected more from it I think. I thought it was going to be huge like the ride, but it doesn't look like it :/
Alba gu brath! Scotland Forever!
Brazilian13Guy

Sam198 wrote: That's for the speculation topic... Back to construction please. :)
Oh man i gave my opinion, not a intention to start a new discussion.

About the Marmaliser, can't wait to see the full theming
temleh

The pullout of the last barrel roll looks so… wrong haha. I love it. <3
Follow me on Instagram! @v05mattclay
redpiggy

JayJay90 wrote: oh what a shame the banners have torn allowing us better viewing ;)
NEED TO GO AGAIN SOON :D
An alton towers staff member pointed me towards a torn banner when I was taking pictures and said "You'll get a better view through there like everyone else does"!
Domino

D-Man wrote:
Rollercoasters4Life wrote: My pictures taken an hour or so ago

I thought the marmaliser would have been much bigger than this but I think it's only because the ride dwarfs it :/

When you look at the size of the digger in the front of the photo and think of the perspective, the marmaliser sits quite a bit above the digger, so it can't be that small, I just expected more from it I think. I thought it was going to be huge like the ride, but it doesn't look like it :/
It's difficult to judge when it's incomplete, once the legs and other theming attachments are in place, I'm sure it'll look a decent size. I can't wait to see how the indoor part of the station plays out, I love Th13teens and Saws stations.
Roodlesnouter

Spent the day on site today, got a good ride count but an even  better construction photo count, below are just a few of the 146 I took today.

As already reported the first leg of the marmaliser went in today, below is the story of how it was installed.

Plans for fixing the legs in place.

And a bit closer

Starting the lift

Marmaliser LED screens

Marmaliser in place

Fixing into place

Leg on the move

Putting into position

Marmaliser leg bracket

begining the lift of the second part of the leg

Side view

Fixing to the body

Waiting to fit onto the first section

Fixing the leg into position

Marmaliser body and first leg in place

Footer for next leg and possible themeing part?

No track was installed today but it is installed all the way upto the top end of site (except for the near side airtime hill) as the marmaliser was in the way, unti today. Ground works were in full force with diggers shifting tonnes of earth, footers being placed and concrete was being poured.

Track all the way up to the top end of site

Concrete was being pumped onsite for most of the day

Nearly ready for the lift hill

Other random construction pics

Mainatenance shed and station in the background

More of the walls are complete and marmailser parts in the foreground

Close up of the walls

I counted 20ish track pieces in the car park, only 3 of those were straight pieces and I presumed these to be maintenance building track. There is still no sign of any lift hills. 
Last edited by Roodlesnouter on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://pixelsattheparks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Had a look through your Photobucket album, and I like this photo as it shows the true size of The Marmaliser. Hopefully, everyone can now see how massive it is with a person inside it!

clayj

lewis97 wrote: Image
Bottom left of the photo you can see the red cage which they will use to ensure nothing is within the ride area which may be able to be touched by the riders or trains...
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
temleh

clayj wrote:Bottom left of the photo you can see the red cage which they will use to ensure nothing is within the ride area which may be able to be touched by the riders or trains...
They must be nervous about the clearance tests after messing up the supports over the toilets! Who knows what else may have been miscalculated! Bit of comeuppance for Merlin's Swarm PR stunt last year that involved water dummies losing limbs haha! :P ;)
clayj

temleh wrote: They must be nervous about the clearance tests after messing up the supports over the toilets! Who knows what else may have been miscalculated! Bit of comeuppance for Merlin's Swarm PR stunt last year that involved water dummies losing limbs haha! :P ;)
I wouldn't say they are nervous, just cautious. I think the toilet error was a genuine mistake between the two surveys done on the track/supports Vs toilet block as these would & could have easily been done separate... The Marmiliser Vs the tangled heaped pile of track which is currently the middle section of the ride however would have been created & designed together + this is built on 1 level concrete slab so the margins for error would be far less i'd imagine
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
temleh

clayj wrote:
temleh wrote: They must be nervous about the clearance tests after messing up the supports over the toilets! Who knows what else may have been miscalculated! Bit of comeuppance for Merlin's Swarm PR stunt last year that involved water dummies losing limbs haha! :P ;)
I wouldn't say they are nervous, just cautious. I think the toilet error was a genuine mistake between the two surveys done on the track/supports Vs toilet block as these would & could have easily been done separate... The Marmiliser Vs the tangled heaped pile of track which is currently the middle section of the ride however would have been created & designed together + this is built on 1 level concrete slab so the margins for error would be far less i'd imagine
I agree! A lot of my post was /sarc to be honest. ;)
Mattfat1

Crikey, Someone had his Weetabix this morning :roll:

Awesome pics, again!!
MatthewR1990

Mattfat1 wrote: Crikey, Someone had his Weetabix this morning :roll:

Awesome pics, again!!
I do believe you can see fixings in that pic for the marmaliser effect of whatever leg that is...
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
getothing

The marmaliser legs is made from metal?
If an inline twist, tower times team  would not hide ¡¡¡
i want to corrected now ¡
Danny

Anyone one site today? Would love to see how the marmaliser grows :D and these frequent updates are much appreciated  :)