The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
Evostance

Thrillmad wrote:
Instant Mix wrote:
D-Man wrote: Got to say the hypnosis illusion on the back of those trains is going to make so many people dizzy and sick, not something I want to experience while on this ride! I've never been sick after a ride and I don't think I ever will be but those that do are going to be even worse off on this ride, and I hate people being sick!  :(

Although I do like the look of the trains, wished they didn't have a flat front though. Really wanted Lapbars but maybe they thought with the amount of inversions that people would feel scared to ride it?
Whoever put that illusion on didn't do their research though - that form of illusion only works on computer screens. Because of the way the red , green and blue pixels are spaced apart, it gives an illusion of movement. It won't have the same effect in reality.
It work for me still
You're looking at it on a screen..
MatthewR1990

Evostance wrote:
Thrillmad wrote:
Instant Mix wrote: Whoever put that illusion on didn't do their research though - that form of illusion only works on computer screens. Because of the way the red , green and blue pixels are spaced apart, it gives an illusion of movement. It won't have the same effect in reality.
It work for me still
HAHAHA. I will say That I've seen similar illusions printed out and they still work.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
Owen

MatthewR1990 wrote:
Evostance wrote:
Thrillmad wrote: It work for me still
HAHAHA. I will say That I've seen similar illusions printed out and they still work.
That's what I mean I have a poster

I'm not that stupid
Andzdrew

I have a feeling the "front row" isn't constant on this type of train, it looks like four rows of 4 seats, loosely combined to make a 4x4 train. I have a feeling they may split and form new trains during the ride, maybe on the vertical lift
Coasterfan312

andzdrew wrote: I have a feeling the "front row" isn't constant on this type of train, it looks like four rows of 4 seats, loosely combined to make a 4x4 train. I have a feeling they may split and form new trains during the ride, maybe on the vertical lift
No. Just no. Cars can't just split and form a new train, especially on a single track. Weight and velocity issues would make that extremely unreliable. Can't believe I even had to explain that...
Smiling since 1997.
Theme Parks Visited: 19
Rollercoasters Ridden: 75
Kenzie2012

andzdrew wrote: I have a feeling the "front row" isn't constant on this type of train, it looks like four rows of 4 seats, loosely combined to make a 4x4 train. I have a feeling they may split and form new trains during the ride, maybe on the vertical lift

Wow..... Just wow!!

That has got to be the most imaginative I have seen on the forum!
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
wolfy

i think they're going to rotate backwards for a section tof track
Andzdrew

At least it would be a world's first going on that reaction lol
BHXDMT

Was on park briefly today to try out The Sanctuary, not a lot of track left in the car parks now. Great to see this in person, it really is huge! Loving the trains too.
D-Man

Instant Mix wrote:
D-Man wrote: Got to say the hypnosis illusion on the back of those trains is going to make so many people dizzy and sick, not something I want to experience while on this ride! I've never been sick after a ride and I don't think I ever will be but those that do are going to be even worse off on this ride, and I hate people being sick!  :(

Although I do like the look of the trains, wished they didn't have a flat front though. Really wanted Lapbars but maybe they thought with the amount of inversions that people would feel scared to ride it?
Whoever put that illusion on didn't do their research though - that form of illusion only works on computer screens. Because of the way the red , green and blue pixels are spaced apart, it gives an illusion of movement. It won't have the same effect in reality.
Yeah, maybe that was intentional then so that people think it will actually work but it's just for show?
Alba gu brath! Scotland Forever!
M3tabolic

D-Man wrote:
Instant Mix wrote:

Yeah, maybe that was intentional then so that people think it will actually work but it's just for show?
This whole discussion has nothing to do with construction.

The illusion does work when printed... it doesn't have to be on a screen. There is a high res version in the trains thread. Print it yourself and try it!

Back on construction - Have there been any lift-hill developments on site yet?

How long do people think the 'pull through' will take for this coaster?

Also does anyone know if there are any photos of other coasters in the testing phase with this wooden collision board thing bolted on? I've never seen this before and I'm intrigued.
Last edited by M3tabolic on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evostance

M3tabolic wrote:
D-Man wrote:
Instant Mix wrote: Whoever put that illusion on didn't do their research though - that form of illusion only works on computer screens. Because of the way the red , green and blue pixels are spaced apart, it gives an illusion of movement. It won't have the same effect in reality.

The illusion does work when printed... it doesn't have to be on a screen. There is a high res version in the trains thread. Print it yourself and try it!

Also does anyone know if there are any photos of other coasters in the testing phase with this wooden collision board thing bolted on? I've never seen this before and I'm intrigued.

Not a great photo but you get the idea:

Creative05

M3tabolic wrote:
D-Man wrote:

Great documentary which I'm sure everyone has seen.  Skip to 27 mins and watch from there....
dazza4783

Creative05 wrote:
M3tabolic wrote:
D-Man wrote: Yeah, maybe that was intentional then so that people think it will actually work but it's just for show?

Great documentary which I'm sure everyone has seen.  Skip to 27 mins and watch from there....
I wonder if they will do 2 pull throughs at the same time so they can check the clearances at the points where the trains will duel.
chrisa74

I think looking at those trains that a launch is not going to happen unless anyone can show me a ride that launches trains that wide.
Sam198

chrisa74 wrote: I think looking at those trains that a launch is not going to happen unless anyone can show me a ride that launches trains that wide.
This.

Not that I'm saying this thing will have a launch or anything - in fact I'm certain it won't. But as you asked... ;)
chrisa74

Sam198 wrote:
chrisa74 wrote: I think looking at those trains that a launch is not going to happen unless anyone can show me a ride that launches trains that wide.
This.

Not that I'm saying this thing will have a launch or anything - in fact I'm certain it won't. But as you asked... ;)
thanks im glad im wrong still doubt it will but at least theres a small chance
dylan.tempelaars

is theyre any construction updates today?
some people call me insane, you are right!
Danny

dazza4783 wrote: I wonder if they will do 2 pull throughs at the same time so they can check the clearances at the points where the trains will duel.
Probably not. This is going to be one of the most complicated pull throughs of any ride ever done by the looks of it, due to the amount of tightly packed track. They're going to need at least three cranes to get one train around. I'm assuming they'll use the same equipment used on The Swarm. It was the same width as the wing rider train to ensure it could make it through the near miss elements. If they use two of them but shaped to suit the basic feel of a Smiler train, they can probably check the clearance points themselves without having to send the train around.
dylan.tempelaars wrote: is theyre any construction updates today?
Roodlesnouter is currently on park, so we'll see what he can do for us :)
dylan.tempelaars

whooohoo roodlesnouter! :moj
some people call me insane, you are right!