The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
Boz

Buschgardensfan wrote: Absolutely the transfer track. Look at any Gerst coaster, the transfer has that bit underneath. Which leads me to ask, where on earth is the transfer on SAW?
immediately before the lift hill, on Saw it's a turntable rather than a slider or switch track
Hitch

Rollercoasters4Life wrote:
James97 wrote:
Rollercoasters4Life wrote: Whats been installed today:
wow its really coming along! , would be abit of a nightmare if a train got stuck there though.
Edit: is that a lamp post in the middle ? The bottom of it looks pretty different to a normal support.
No its a support. Doubt a train would get stuck there, its just for maintenance reasons would of thought.
Hmm the magnetic brakes are pretty powerful though, if they were all in the fully up position it might.
Capt.Barnacles

Ahh that would explain why I didn't see anything on the way back into the station.
rcopus

clayj wrote: Looks like the trims are to be used as some sort of emergency brake... It does beg the question of how they plan to return the train to the station in the event of an emergency stop as both bunny hops are just before the staff knott & cobra roll so theres not enough gravitational pull to complete the circuit ?
I was wondering the same. Perhaps the gantry/walkway is just to make maintainence easier rather than emergency exit?
tigzie1

More track has arrived at AT in the form of 3 huge Lorries. They are not being unloaded though and the drivers seem to be sleeping in the vans... secret elements maybe?
Evostance

clayj wrote: Image
credit to Alton Towers Guide for photo

Looks like the trims are to be used as some sort of emergency brake... It does beg the question of how they plan to return the train to the station in the event of an emergency stop as both bunny hops are just before the staff knott & cobra roll so theres not enough gravitational pull to complete the circuit ?
Good question.  Perhaps those fins are doubled up as launches.. Unless that's just it...
sully1311

Was at the park today. Wow this thing is MASSIVE!! Didn't see any track being taken up on the cranes, but saw other bits being moved by cranes. Looks like a lot of work has been then on the maintenance bay. Plenty of people on site too.
Capt.Barnacles

tigzie1 wrote: More track has arrived at AT in the form of 3 huge Lorries. They are not being unloaded though and the drivers seem to be sleeping in the vans... secret elements maybe?
Two possibilities in my opinion. Both are pretty interesting. One: Lift hills. Or two: Not track but parts of the Marmaliser? Hmmmmm. Things are getting interesting. By the way I've seen a emoticon thing of the SMILE logo in previous posts. Any idea how I can get it?
Rollercoasters4Life

tigzie1 wrote: More track has arrived at AT in the form of 3 huge Lorries. They are not being unloaded though and the drivers seem to be sleeping in the vans... secret elements maybe?
Where has this information come from? Have you personally seen them? Where are they parked?
Zach

Or trains...hence the swift pace of the maintenance bay being worked on....
tigzie1

They are parked in the coach park with the rest of the track (where it was stored) ... the one you can walk through... I am at at hotel so walked past them... usually they would be unloaded but not in this instance.
dylan.tempelaars

are you sure this is all true?
some people call me insane, you are right!
tigzie1

If I can I shall get some pictures for u too...
Rollercoasters4Life

tigzie1 wrote: If I can I shall get some pictures for u too...
That would be good so we can all speculate on the size of the cargo inside...:lol:

Maybe they have not unloaded because it has gone dark and when you walked past the drivers were doing something in their cabs? I don't know, just trying to come up with something.
Last edited by Rollercoasters4Life on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nathan Clulow97

Lift hills
dylan.tempelaars

didnt someone say the lift hill  were already on site?
some people call me insane, you are right!
ry1996

I thought the lift hills were being stored in a field off site a few miles away?
Sam198

I'm pretty confident that the lorries contain lift hill sections. They're the last major track components that we've so far seen little or no sign of...

The whole 'lift hills in a field' fiasco is/was no more than a rumour, certainly not something to believe too readily.

Oh, and Buschgardensfan, that would be telling. :moj
Last edited by Sam198 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D-Man

The walkway next to the bunny hops kind of bothers me for some reason :/ I think its because it doesn't look as good or as fluent and free as it should be
Alba gu brath! Scotland Forever!
Rollercoasters4Life

Buschgardensfan wrote: By the way I've seen a emoticon thing of the SMILE logo in previous posts. Any idea how I can get it?
Just type ': moj' without the space in the middle or the ''. :moj
Sam198 wrote: I'm pretty confident that the lorries contain lift hill sections. They're the last major track components that we've so far seen little or no sign of...
Trains...

Although I am not saying it is them.
Last edited by Rollercoasters4Life on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.