The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
JW599

Mmmmm... Just taken a look at this thing again:

I think this may be the centre of the so called "themed object" spider.

I changed the perspective of the plan and overlaid it onto an aerial shot. I know it's far from accurate and it would be impossible without a 3D elevation layer (and the top down overlay of the track throws things off), but the placements of the buildings are fairly close.

Zoomed: http://s7.postimage.org/s0xlnixln/image.jpg
Last edited by JW599 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikecloud1984

Some kind of supply to that kiosk possibly?

Small hot dog seller etc would need a gas and/or water supply surely?
JayJay90

More track has been erected today, the drop after the vertical lift hill is 100% and it's in place :D

Source: Coasterlive Official Facebook page
Last edited by JayJay90 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil Lewis

JayJay90 wrote: More track has been erected today, the drop after the vertical lift hill is 100% and it's in place :D

Excitement!  :D

I think we're gonna see a lot of progress made very quickly from now on. No doubt there will be lots to see by the next time MI7 takes to the skies.
Evil
RCT3Bross

JayJay90 wrote: More track has been erected today, the drop after the vertical lift hill is 100% and it's in place :D

Have to say it: They're half way there looking good now. Now Half the inversions are standing. :D
Owen

RCT3Bross wrote:

Have to say it: They're half way there looking good now. Now Half the inversions are standing. :D
What do you mean?
simononestop

JW599 wrote: Mmmmm... Just taken a look at this thing again:

another one of them here
RobJackson85

There's the second inverting drop! This coaster is going to be insane!

I changed the perspective of the plan and overlaid it onto an aerial shot. I know it's far from accurate and it would be impossible without a 3D elevation layer (and the top down overlay of the track throws things off), but the placements of the buildings are fairly close.

This does seem to be directly underneath the huge theming object, however that is high off the ground.

Quite simply, the piece you have zoomed into is nothing more than a drain for waste water. Buried (natural) gas pipe is yellow, and WOULD NOT be stored in a container like that. The brown pipe is soil pipe, waste water only!
http://www.torn.com/1562191 - Torn City, free online txt based RPG. Sign up through this link, get to level 10 and earn 5 million in-game $'s
JW599

RobJackson85 wrote:

There's the second inverting drop! This coaster is going to be insane!

This does seem to be directly underneath the huge theming object, however that is high off the ground.

Quite simply, the piece you have zoomed into is nothing more than a drain for waste water. Buried (natural) gas pipe is yellow, and WOULD NOT be stored in a container like that. The brown pipe is soil pipe, waste water only!
Ah right! Looks like one of these http://www.k-drainage.co.uk/septic-tanks.php (very similar white object at the top right, and left side of the page as well).

Maybe us people without construction knowledge should not speculate.  :lol:
Last edited by JW599 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lucy2244

The pase of the construction is almost frightening nowadays! It's such a contrast to the slow pace for all of January and most of December (just after the Staffordshire knot was put into place).

Do people still think there is going to be the glass floor to the shop showing a part of the roller coaster or has this been abandoned? If it hasn't, am i right guessing that it will be showing either the 'underground' drop or barrel roll?
william raymond

Yes they are septic tanks
PhNx Survivor

I personally think they have made a move on with the top section for when March 16th comes, so it can be used again by guests, cause the next toilet around is just before dark forest, or back at the entrance of park. Maybe we'll see quite a bit of construct sped up for top area cause of this.

But for the rest of the area, I don't think we'll see any supports or such for 1 - 2 weeks, depending on how fast and effective they can use their time with the cement pouring, although, a lot of footers have now been placed, just need the middle/top right side doing now, and then I'd say we'll see supports and track fly up.

Although I do think we will see some more stuff soon for the knot and of course the building + maintenance.
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Evostance

william raymond wrote: Yes they are septic tanks
You sure they're septic?  I thought septic needed to be emptied and placing then right in the middle of a coaster isn't the best design. 

If they're just water then I expect them to have a pump in them.  Water goes to the instead of sitting on the concrete
Wildboy

Does anyone else think that the track should have been a differnt colour to the supports in order to show off the design a bit better? The layout is the clincher with this ride but AT do not seem to have capitalised on it at all.
Enjoying Rollercoasters as part of a healthy balanced diet since 1983
JayJay90

Alton Towers - The Miler mini site has added new pictures to construction showing the new inverted drops from some good angles
Aidan Lowe

Alton Towers just posted more construction photos over at their website:

http://www.the-smiler.com/the-ride/
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
TheK1lla1

Smile the doctor will see you now.
Krazycoaster

Here's some of the new construction pics:
TheK1lla1

Smile the doctor will see you now.
Evostance

Krazycoaster wrote: Here's some of the new construction pics: