The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
ry1996

clayj wrote: :P
ry1996 wrote: There doesnt seem to be any footers in at all for the two drops and lift hills yet..
Pretty much all the footers in the central section are cast into large concrete block forms. As you can see they are laying the reinforced bar before pouring more conrete into the pre formed sections.
Yes but there isnt any footers going up the hill towards the top for any drops or the lift hills, not at the bottom half
lewis97
Admin
Admin

So the tank could be for an effect in The Marmaliser's leg...
clayj

Evostance wrote:
clayj wrote:
peter150496 wrote:   I'm pretty sure it's a waste silo. it look like ground waste pipe running from then running toward the station.
Wrong shape for toilet waste.... A toilet block of that size would go to a mains... its too far away from thew toilet and who intheir right mind would put a waste silo in the middle of a ride ??

It looks more to me like a compressed air tank commonly used in coasters - Which again, would make sense as its next to the 2nd lifthill..
A quick Google suggests its either a 'soil' pipe or some form of gas like, hydrogen, oxygen etc
After looking more at the 2nd HiRes photo uploaded tonight, its now clear to me that it is something to do with the drainage. As you can clearly see the the silver gully which also creates the sections of concrete slab.
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
mitchellcollier

This silo is also close to where the 'Spider' is going to be, maybe its something to do with this ?
Kenzie2012

I think the steel frame work going up over the toilets looks shocking!!
It looks messy! I wonder if its actually full needed or if its cosmetic partly!
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
Rollercoasters4Life

Kenzie2012 wrote: I think the steel frame work going up over the toilets looks shocking!!
Please tell me that was sarcasm? Course its needed - they wouldn't just waste materials just for cosmetic reasons when it comes to this type of build. It doesn't look amazing, but its needed.
Fishfingerish

Oooh Kensie!

To you maybe, but to others a giant mass of twisted steel like that!

Towers Times' resident Muser

Oh yes! Please check out my YouTube channel if it's not too painful:
www.youtube.com/user/hpvideosofficial
Kenzie2012

Rollercoasters4Life wrote:
Kenzie2012 wrote: I think the steel frame work going up over the toilets looks shocking!!
Please tell me that was sarcasm? Course its needed - they wouldn't just waste materials just for cosmetic reasons when it comes to this type of build. It doesn't look amazing, but its needed.
Me? Sarcasm? Never!!

I honestly don't see why it has had to take such a shape!?!? It just doesn't look in any way straight forward. It's almost as if they've worked backwards on the principle of "what's the easiest way to do this build!?!" And decided to be as complex as possible!
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
RCT3Bross

Kenzie2012 wrote:

Me? Sarcasm? Never!!

I honestly don't see why it has had to take such a shape!?!? It just doesn't look in any way straight forward. It's almost as if they've worked backwards on the principle of "what's the easiest way to do this build!?!" And decided to be as complex as possible!
Did you notice there is a building in the way? These supports had to be like this or els they aren't strong enough. Believe me when it comes to supports for roller coasters they won't go for pretty, they go for cheap and strong supports.  :roll:
Kenzie2012

I did, but clearly you missed the fact that the building gave them a perfect shell to work around. Why they didn't create a box around the toilets and then branch supports off is what I don't get. It's just a mess and I can only see it getting worse when the rest are finished
clayj

Kenzie2012 wrote:
Me? Sarcasm? Never!!

The issue is that the toilet block serves a pressing need to that side of the park. Theres nowhere else readily available so they have had to build the ride over it. In a perfect world they could have relocated the toilets which would have free'd the land up for a more straight forward supports
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
sixstringhotshot88

more steel the better iMO. i'd rather it be a nice sturdy structure underneath me when i'm riding.
RCT3Bross

Kenzie2012 wrote: I did, but clearly you missed the fact that the building gave them a perfect shell to work around. Why they didn't create a box around the toilets and then branch supports off is what I don't get. It's just a mess and I can only see it getting worse when the rest are finished
Again they go for the cheapest option. Parks and manufactures are not interested in a nice view of the supports but for good cheap supports. I have to agree its a mess but it has it reasons. Believe me. ;) 
Kenzie2012

Infact, I actually think its going to be one of the ugliest coasters for supports ever!!!!

Yeah that's right, I said it  ;)
Rollercoasters4Life

Just in case people have missed the facebook posting, the full resolution images taken today can be viewed at the below address:

http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/the-smiler/towerstimes-the-smiler-high-res-thank-you-210213/
clayj

1st inversion highlighted...

[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
tigzie1

Anyone know what this is for? It's been there since it snowed ont he original High rez images and is still there on the new ones.
Rollercoasters4Life

Can just make out the inside inversion a little better if you looking in between station sections.

PhNx Survivor

Well... high resolution photo 6 shows clearly that framework for maintenance building is now in construction :D

*bottom right*
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
clayj

Top section...

I think from lift hill to 1st drop after lift hill is self explanitory regarding the inversion... But when you look after the drop from the second lift hill (vertical) and follow the plates on the supports from 1, 2, 3, then, oh look, 4 is past horizontal... Another diving drop ?
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]