The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
chris.connor.7

getothing wrote: Seriously, we know it's word first, and that the secret element left us with a smile, confirmed that there sw zone indoor area, and is in the process, you can not think that what's being built and supports or holes? Fijaros is this photo

I believe that I do not know photo to hide, Pay attention to the hole, censored area ...

Sorry for bring quite new to all this but from the picture and looking at the latest update what exactly has the boxes been covering? Not much construction if any has taken place bit  :?
Danny

That photo was taken a while ago now, and if you look at the rest of the site since then, quite a lot of progress has taken place. We also can't mention what the boxes are hiding, as that would defeat the point of the boxes that Alton Towers have asked us to put in place ;)
Rob
Admin
Admin

Just to clarify what I was saying.

None of the team know FOR CERTAIN what the SE / SW is or be CERTAIN that there is one. We have a pretty good idea which has been well publicised.

We are working with Alton Towers and they have asked us not to disclose an area of the ride which we are doing. By Alton Towers asking us to do this it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that by them wishing the area not to be disclosed then there must be something special in that area.

I hope that clears everything up and we can move along.
getothing

Exactly, there are only structures and track, think this, if we saw thirteen without sw inside would say, something is here, it is the same
If an inline twist, tower times team  would not hide ¡¡¡
i want to corrected now ¡
astralAndy

Rob-TT wrote: Just to clarify what I was saying.

None of the team know FOR CERTAIN what the SE / SW is or be CERTAIN that there is one. We have a pretty good idea which has been well publicised.

We are working with Alton Towers and they have asked us not to disclose an area of the ride which we are doing. By Alton Towers asking us to do this it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that by them wishing the area not to be disclosed then there must be something special in that area.

I hope that clears everything up and we can move along.
Hooray!! This can be the default quote to refer anyone to that STILL doesn't get it / believes some complicated conspiracy theory about the covered up area and Alton / TT's motives. I guess people just love to look deeply into things and find hidden truths in things, but this time it really is just as plain and simple as the team have been saying from the beginning.
I cant believe anyone would still think there will be nothing extra 'special' there, but there you go, and I cant fathom why members dont trust the team admins of the site they use, we wouldn't have *anything* without the Team.
Last edited by astralAndy on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vladimir Bobinski

Rollercoasters4Life wrote:Would of thought they will have the majority of footers done within the next two weeks then the track will start to fly up in about 2-3 weeks (Probably putting up the last few pieces just after the season has begun). Then comes the fun part of getting all the rest done. To your other part of your post Kenzie, maybe they will wait till any secret element is complete before putting up the station cladding and whatnot because of close crane work putting it in?
Not directed at you specifically, but I still really don't get why people are surprised over the lack of progress over footers.  I was explaining over Christmas in depth the difficulties and properties of pouring concrete in these conditions.  In short, you need a month to let it set without risk of material failure. 

I am in no way surprised it's going to be May and tbh, I can live with waiting until May to walk into the XSector restored to it's former glory.  It's going to be a buzzing place again.
Hitch

Montezuma110 wrote: Could it be possible that instead of the barrel roll, the car enters the 'washing machine' element upside down. Then just spins around a few times then comes out the right way up. It would certainly make it very disorientation.
Just a thought.
There was an image posted a while ago which shows the track exiting the station section the right way up thought.
Rollercoasters4Life

astralAndy wrote: Hooray!! This can be the default quote to refer anyone to that STILL doesn't get it / believes some complicated conspiracy theory about the covered up area and Alton / TT's motives. I guess people just love to look deeply into things and find hidden truths in things, but this time it really is just as plain and simple as the team have been saying from the beginning.
I cant believe anyone would still think there will be nothing extra 'special' there, but there you go, and I cant fathom why members don't trust the team admins of the site they use, we wouldn't have *anything* without the Team.
When I said conspiracy's on my original post I was joking. Suppose I should of put a ':)'. Also my post was nothing to do with trusting the team and was certainly not meant as a go at the team if some thought that. All I am saying is that the team sounded (to me and by Rob's post at the time (until he has since come back and reaffirmed what he meant)) that they have confirmed a secret element 100%. Also I believe that some/all of the team could have a better idea of what is to happen, but for obvious reason, will not disclose any of this information as they can't (and that is fine - no qualms about it).

I really don't know why I bothered posting the original message, it seems a few people went overboard with how to take it. It was all just meant to reaffirmed the idea of a secret element happening and the conspiracy theory bit was just a tacked on joke at the end.

Something to bare in mind:
Just because one thinks something will/could happen, it doesn't always mean that it will - just think back to Th13teen and all that was banded around before that opened (and this is by no means me saying that there is nothing 'special' here).

I am also very thankful for what the TTF team do here and with the great aerial construction updates - So thank you. :D

EDIT:
Vladimir Bobinski wrote: I was explaining over Christmas in depth the difficulties and properties of pouring concrete in these conditions. In short, you need a month to let it set without risk of material failure.
Don't know much about how concrete works but with the footers being concreted in will they have to wait a month for them to successfully cure before they can add track to them? Always thought that they have to leave it at least a few days then they could put track up?
astralAndy

Rollercoasters4Life wrote:
astralAndy wrote: Hooray!! This can be the default quote to refer anyone to that STILL doesn't get it / believes some complicated conspiracy theory about the covered up area and Alton / TT's motives. I guess people just love to look deeply into things and find hidden truths in things, but this time it really is just as plain and simple as the team have been saying from the beginning.
I cant believe anyone would still think there will be nothing extra 'special' there, but there you go, and I cant fathom why members don't trust the team admins of the site they use, we wouldn't have *anything* without the Team.
When I said conspiracy's on my original post I was joking. Suppose I should of put a ':)'. Also my post was nothing to do with trusting the team and was certainly not meant as a go at the team if some thought that. All I am saying is that the team sounded (to me and by Rob's post at the time (until he has since come back and reaffirmed what he meant)) that they have confirmed a secret element 100%. Also I believe that some/all of the team could have a better idea of what is to happen, but for obvious reason, will not disclose any of this information as they can't (and that is fine - no qualms about it).

I really don't know why I bothered posting the original message, it seems a few people went overboard with how to take it. It was all just meant to reaffirmed the idea of a secret element happening and the conspiracy theory bit was just a tacked on joke at the end.
No problem mate, I hadn't even read your posts till a while after I wrote mine, it was a coincidence that I used the word conspiracy  :) Was just reading Rob's post, and as I'd seen this debate a few times already in the past was showing my relief that it seemed the admin team had now got the message across to people once and for all. It was way back when the first aerial shots came in and Boz (I think) was trying to nip in the bud the idea of any conspiracy to do with the censor boxes - I think it was said '..let's not even start down that route please' or words to that effect. It looks like I must have missed some 'impassioned discussion' earlier, and my post was aimed at nobody in particular.

I've seen you post some great stuff here before, you seem a regular decent coaster enthusiast to me  8) :D

I'm not much more than a rookie really personally, but this is a great place to learn and I love all the construction updates and speculation threads. Awesome discussions. But the suspense is killing me... Have done groundworks myself before though so understand the delays bad weather can bring. Many times things were pulled out and started again, in my case it was usually due to too much rain rather than the cold - flooding and washing stuff away etc  - very annoying!  :evil: :lol:
Chris-TT

An unusual section of track has arrived! For some reason it is being stored on its side. See photos here:
http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/sw7/construction/
JayJay90

anyone have any sort of idea what that is  :-k
oliviamae

I assume it isn't secret element related as we are viewing it!
Evostance

JayJay90 wrote: anyone have any sort of idea what that is  :-k
Hmm odd.  Looks like some forms of hydraulic.  Perhaps it's to make the track move up and down whilst stationary?
Chris-TT

It could well be part of a secret/special element. We are allowed to take photos of anything that's in a publicly accessible area just as anyone else is!  8)
Adz
Admin
Admin

It could be transfer track, brake run, etc. however it could also be something more exciting.

Either way its new and different to what we've seen before. :)
Instant Mix

Looks like LIMs if you ask me. Whatever it is, something comes up from beneath the track.
D-Man

Thats are really complicated looking piece of track  :shock: brakes or launch section would be a good shout :D some bits of the metal supports are a bit rusty looking, hopefully they will be taken off?
Alba gu brath! Scotland Forever!
Adz
Admin
Admin

The rusty bits are for packing and transportation purposes. They're not part of the ride itself.
Boz

D-Man wrote: Thats are really complicated looking piece of track  :shock: brakes or launch section would be a good shout :D some bits of the metal supports are a bit rusty looking, hopefully they will be taken off?
yeah the rusty bit's of metal are there to support the track upright, but it's currently laid on it's side. I believe they have laid it on it's side to fit both sections of track under the same tarp.
The only thing I can see for definite there, is both friction brakes, and what appear to be lowering brake fins (like on Rita's brake run/launch track). However I have no idea why you would need a tightly packed cluster of both, on the same section of track :?
oliviamae

Chris-TT wrote: It could well be part of a secret/special element. We are allowed to take photos of anything that's in a publicly accessible area just as anyone else is!  8)
I mean it hasn't been blurred - why blur the aerial shots but not this?  :D