The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
walshawblue

http://gallery.towersalmanac.com/displa ... 442&pos=12
is this what you mean ? click on to expand

heres a you tube link  which shows it
Last edited by walshawblue on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kenzie2012

That videos makes more sense..... I've thought there were a few photos hanging around but I've struggled to find them.

Good find with that video!
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
andy_sj

^ This is all well and good, but its not got a lot to do with Smiler construction....

Anyone any idea if MI7 has any plans to be in the air this weekend?

I'm still not sure about this secret element, I doubt it't be in a shipping container, they won't be wide enough for a start!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

andy_sj wrote: ^ This is all well and good, but its not got a lot to do with Smiler construction....

Anyone any idea if MI7 has any plans to be in the air this weekend?

I'm still not sure about this secret element, I doubt it't be in a shipping container, they won't be wide enough for a start!
I have a feeling he will be... It's been a while since the last aerial update, and the snow's been gone long enough now to allow for clear progress to have been made (hopefully).

Also, I agree, I doubt it would be put in, in a shipping container, it doesn't seem very permanent and I can't see it working as there's a maintenance building on top of it.
DannyNewbro

I have a feeling for this weekend, do you know when you'll be up next MI7?
sw7nutter

DannyNewbro wrote: I have a feeling for this weekend, do you know when you'll be up next MI7?
The only reason I can think of if we didn't have an update soon is if they were installing the SE and Alton towers didn't want us to see. However as this is unlikely I would expect one by Monday.
In just 1 day I managed: 75 rides on stealth, 8 swarms, the dodgems and a tea cups. February half term was good.
Delta79

DannyNewbro wrote: do you know when you'll be up next MI7?
MI7 need a few things to be right to get an update. like
Weather, and visibility.
Spare time to get into the air
A serviceable aircraft
Someone with the right camera to take the photos.

So when all these come together we get an aerial update. And I hope these come together soon. 
Adam

Please can we stop this asking for the next update thing. We will post new updates when we can. Please can we stay on topic and continue construction discussion. Thanking you! :)
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
MatthewR1990

Adam wrote: Please can we stop this asking for the next update thing. We will post new updates when we can. Please can we stay on topic and continue construction discussion. Thanking you! :)
So when is it then? I'm joking!

On a construction level. What affect does all the snow and rain have on the soil. I know its melted but surely the ground is still water logged? Would this affect footer work, as water will disappear and surely the ride footers would drop?
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
TomL

On a construction level. What affect does all the snow and rain have on the soil. I know its melted but surely the ground is still water logged? Would this affect footer work, as water will disappear and surely the ride footers would drop?
I'm sure they use waterproof sheeting for the concrete to be poured into or the precasts so I personally wouldnt worry about that. I t hasn't put them off laying a huge bit of concrete in the pit  :)
goldengrahams

- Anybody else seen this on Towers2Go?
Last edited by goldengrahams on Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MatthewR1990

goldengrahams wrote: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1 ... 0873546107 - Anybody else seen this on Towers2Go?
Woah what is that?
muttlee

I think it's just two sections of track with trim brakes, side by side.
Sam198

muttlee wrote: I think it's just two sections of track with trim brakes, side by side.
Yep, they're just two standard brake run sections. The one in the foreground is lying slightly on top of the other one... with it's brake fin obscuring the second rail. :)
Last edited by Sam198 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MatthewR1990

Sam198 wrote:
muttlee wrote: I think it's just two sections of track with trim brakes, side by side.
Yep, they're just two standard break run sections. The one in the foreground is lying slightly on top of the other one... with it's break fin obscuring the second rail. :)
Oh. I thought it was something good lmao
andy_sj

I'm still not sure about this secret element, I don't think TT have hidden anything worthwhile with the blue boxes, looking at the un-censored Tattenhill photos from the other week I think the secret element will be after the blue box. In my opinion the secret element needs to go in soon before the rest of the ride goes up otherwise access will be limited. Maybe this is why there hasn't been an update.... stalling on purpose so as not to reveal the secret element before it get's covered up!

Could be nonsense but was just a thought....

I wonder if any of the supports over the toilet block will be up, you'd think they might want access from both sides of the block so would get them in before the others in the middle of the ride.
Danny

andy_sj wrote: Maybe this is why there hasn't been an update.... stalling on purpose so as not to reveal the secret element before it get's covered up!
Or maybe, it's honestly down to the weather having an effect on construction so hardly any progress may have been made, or it's far too windy to get one?  :)

Also, I doubt we'll see supports over the toilet block yet as the ground at the top end of the site looked completely unprepared. Hopefully, we'll see the footers in place and the start of the structure which will hold all the supports together fairly soon.
Last edited by Danny on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andy_sj

Danny wrote:
andy_sj wrote: Maybe this is why there hasn't been an update.... stalling on purpose so as not to reveal the secret element before it get's covered up!
Hopefully, we'll see the footers in place and the start of the structure which will hold all the supports together fairly soon.
^ Thats what I meant when I said supports over the toilet block, all kinda the same thing ain't it?  ;)
goldengrahams

Liam-AltonTowers

Check out these pictures Towers2Go are posting on there official Facebook page:

What exactly is that...?

Check out all the pictures there posting here: http://www.facebook.com/Towers2GoFanPage. Credit to Towers2Go for these amazing pictures!
Last edited by Liam-AltonTowers on Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Credit to Lewis97, thanks for the amazing signature!