The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
Hitch

Joshysqaushy wrote: As some one mentioned before oblivion's cars look a little different on the transfer track and it just hit me....................... what if oblivions new cars are floorless??? i mean it may seem a little far fetched but i guess it would make sense since the smilers cars are meant to be floorless. Just an idea
Oblivions getting new cars ?
swes

^^^ I think that's exactly what it looks like. Good spot!
Alton Towers where wonders never cease
M3tabolic

It's a nice idea, but surely installing floorless trains would require a great deal of station modification?

I think it's very unlikely.
Hitch

swes wrote: ^^^ I think that's exactly what it looks like. Good spot!
But surely someone would have spotted them in the carpark, and they wouldn;t just leave them outside in the snow. Also where would the old cars go.
andy_sj

Doubt there's anything different about Oblivion's trains...

Anyway, The Smiler! Looking at this new photo the bit TTF had hidden under the box looks to be nothing more than an inversion, I don't think this is the secret element! If it is then it's no longer secret!!!
DeanGaryCox

i'm not really following/understanding whats going on with the construction speculation, but to me it looks from the previous aerial images that it will come out of the station do a sharp downward turn, then into some form of barrel roll before emerging on the outside where we see that piece of straight track on the latest image before it goes on the first lift hill. i believe that the box that TT use to cover an area of the ride, is the end of the ride before returning to the station, where (if it is a true speculation and is going to happen) the washing machine element will go.
Image 2014
PhNx Survivor

This is just an idea...

But I am finding it hard to believe that the "Barrel Roll" is actually a full barrel roll... What I mean by this, what if the barrel roll is part of the SE. It's very unlikely, and its a world's first, but here's my theory...

You come into the barrel roll but are slowed down dramatically by breaks, which stop you halfway through the barrel roll... then, the "Washing Machine" element commences and you spin 2 or 3 times with loud noises and such... Then are propelled forward not to fast to finish off the first barrel roll... Then a pre-show, and with the doctors last line, "The Doctor Will See You Now" with a menacing laughter and then propelled up the lift hill and onto the outside track.

Just a theory but I know it's quite impossible :3

P.S - Submission... don't know about you, but the middle of submissions arms on the floor next to it look to have... The Smiler logo on it... Probably just me??
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
getothing

The secret element will be at the end of the tour, which is hidden from us some machinery that is stored in the secret element caja.The secret element held with flashes and esteroestopic lights and stay cool .
If an inline twist, tower times team  would not hide ¡¡¡
i want to corrected now ¡
swes

James97 wrote:
swes wrote: ^^^ I think that's exactly what it looks like. Good spot!
But surely someone would have spotted them in the carpark, and they wouldn;t just leave them outside in the snow. Also where would the old cars go.
caetaylor wrote: I don't think this is some sort of board in the picture.  If you look carefully there is a support coming from the straight track leading into the station.  What looks like a board is what I believe to be a support beam with supports either side to allow track to go underneath this piece of straight track.
Was ment for this post not oblivious cars.
Alton Towers where wonders never cease
Ripsaw Raver

just out of intrest can we class that cobra roll as an inversion, its seems more like an inlined imellman with an inclined dive loop, to me that is not truly upside down as the car going from its normal position has not been rotated atleast 180 degrees, seems like another copout, IE Oblivion world first Vertical thats not actualy vertical.. Smiler most inversions on a coaster although 2 dont actually count.
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
Morgano

I see this:

You can make out the banked track if you look carefully.

I think everyone else is reading in to the image far too much. (Thanks adsyrah for the diagram)
Last edited by Morgano on Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coasteraddict

Ripsaw Raver wrote: just out of intrest can we class that cobra roll as an inversion, its seems more like an inlined imellman with an inclined dive loop, to me that is not truly upside down as the car going from its normal position has not been rotated atleast 180 degrees, seems like another copout, IE Oblivion world first Vertical thats not actualy vertical.. Smiler most inversions on a coaster although 2 dont actually count.
Pretty much every cobra roll ever doesn't rotate 180* same for Immelmanns and dive loops.

Also the pictures really aren't clear enough to make out either way (thought I am on the barrel roll side). On a side note more footers have been placed.
Ripsaw Raver

yes but many have a clear point of inversion, this however does not
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
Rollercoasters4Life

Quickly did this to illustrate the rails and in my opinion strengthening the idea that a barrel roll is there.

If you look at the picture on the left you can make out ever so slightly the snow on the track which I have shown on the right image. If you flick your eyes from the right to the left image you will see it. Now from the other end we have seen the track make a downward left turn and go even more banked which the only thing it could really do it complete a barrel roll and level out on the straight track above.

The only problem I have, is the lack of brake fins on that current straight track. If there is to be a secret element after the barrel roll then they are running out of space to brake the train in time, have room for a washing machine element and also fit the lift before you reach the concrete slabs that have been constructed to keep the wall back at which the 1st lift hill will travel above.
Last edited by Rollercoasters4Life on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mitchellcollier

The lack of the two large cranes also shows that vertical construction has basically stopped, think they may just be doing ground work and footers then they'll wack all the track up in one go??

Also someone earlier mentioned about Oblivion's cars changing to floor less, i doubt they would because that would mean re-designing the station wouldn't it ?
PhNx Survivor

mitchellcollier wrote: The lack of the two large cranes also shows that vertical construction has basically stopped, think they may just be doing ground work and footers then they'll wack all the track up in one go??

Also someone earlier mentioned about Oblivion's cars changing to floor less, i doubt they would because that would mean re-designing the station wouldn't it ?
And you can clearly see the trains still have the floors on them, doubt it'll be a complete refurbishment, they' 'll just be repainted and freshened up with new restraints possibly
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
JayJay90

DeanGaryCox wrote: i'm not really following/understanding whats going on with the construction speculation, but to me it looks from the previous aerial images that it will come out of the station do a sharp downward turn, then into some form of barrel roll before emerging on the outside where we see that piece of straight track on the latest image before it goes on the first lift hill. i believe that the box that TT use to cover an area of the ride, is the end of the ride before returning to the station, where (if it is a true speculation and is going to happen) the washing machine element will go.
but when the train returns to the station its on the brake run which is completely visible outside and as it goes into the station well that's where you'll be loading and unloading, we can see that from the pics now so whatever this secret element is, it wont be going near the end of the ride. IMO, I reckon its something to do with before the lift hill or on the lift hill... there's not much space after the supposed barrel roll but there is a long straight run before the lift hill. 
toejo78

looks good shame its opening in may!
Last edited by toejo78 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
homfecep

Rollercoasters4Life wrote: Quickly did this to illustrate the rails and in my opinion strengthening the idea that a barrel roll is there.

If you look at the picture on the left you can make out ever so slightly the snow on the track which I have shown on the right image. If you flick your eyes from the right to the left image you will see it. Now from the other end we have seen the track make a downward left turn and go even more banked which the only thing it could really do it complete a barrel roll and level out on the straight track above.

The only problem I have, is the lack of brake fins on that current straight track. If there is to be a secret element after the barrel roll then they are running out of space to brake the train in time, have room for a washing machine element and also fit the lift before you reach the concrete slabs that have been constructed to keep the wall back at which the 1st lift hill will travel above.

Nice but I think this piece of straight track could not be jointed to the downward bent track from the pit, just because the angle, tight curve, bank and momentum for the upcoming train , as shown in pictures, doesn't seems to be properly. So if isn't placed the SE or whatever kind of shift track in between, this piece of straight track seems to be for other purposes or not permanently placed there.

Remember that we are assuming that the secret element will be a rotating/shifting track device placed there, could be other, elsewhere.
Last edited by homfecep on Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
swfcjambo

What if the launch is a vertical launch? Like the opposite to Thirteen's vertical drop?