The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
swfcjambo

coasterdude_1 wrote: what's that curved bit with all the wiring and like 6 connectors? doesn't match any part of the plans really...
I'd guess that the 6 connectors indicates that this piece of track will be under high loads? Looks almost like some form of inverted launch section from the bottom of a lift hill?
Morgano

swfcjambo wrote:
coasterdude_1 wrote: what's that curved bit with all the wiring and like 6 connectors? doesn't match any part of the plans really...
I'd guess that the 6 connectors indicates that this piece of track will be under high loads? Looks almost like some form of inverted launch section from the bottom of a lift hill?
I dont think so.
Last edited by Morgano on Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
simononestop

mmm they didnt cover/blurr the station on the alton towers site?
Morgano

simononestop wrote: Image

mmm they didnt cover/blurr the station on the alton towers site?
I presume that was taken before the Towers Times images , Alton Towers has been covered in snow ever since (I believe).
Boz

Morgano is correct TBH, that image is at least 2 weeks old ;)
simononestop

but nothing has changed since the towers times ones the crane is in the same place is it not?
Boz

nothing that you can see ;)
scw55

With regards to the criticism about the slow progress at the start of construction; Maybe Alton Towers are now aware at how much work needs to be done. Perhaps they didn't want to do too much at the end of last season becayse they wanted to keep things secret. But it seems if this was the reason, it has backfired.

What's done is done. What we can only do now is hope the ride is opened up in a respectable state and that Alton Towers have learnt from the experience and will be more aware next time when planning any developments.

*The TS images makes me think of a angled-launch section. Though I am not an engineer so this is an uneducated opinion.
Last edited by scw55 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheNigeC

Evostance wrote:
Trim brakes or launch and the station
top section of the initial lift hill maybe?
[align=center]I Could live on Nemesis! I want to travel the world visiting all the best Theme Parks!

FACEBOOK TWITTER INSTAGRAM [img]http://TUMBLR YOUTUBE

CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY PAGE ON FACEBOOK
[/align]
astralAndy

Hey all, I had a scan through the main threads and couldn't find mention of this, if it's been discussed already apologies.

So we all know the ride is due to be open for the general public sometime in may, but obviously construction will have been completed quite some time before then.

On The Smiler's wikipedia page it says: Opening date: Previews in April 2013, official opening in May 2013.

I've not heard mention of this April preview until just now (hence my post), and never been to a ride preview before myself but I know that they're for press and lucky so-and-so's, and at any rate will mean that the ride is 100% completed (at least main construction if not quite 100% theming) and testing done (of course teething problems may still exist but the essential testing completed).
So, given that average testing time is, what, 2 weeks (? I'm not an expert but know it varies) and I guess certain of the theming elements which may not be in place by then could be sorted whilst testing, are we estimating late March / early April for the main construction including stations, spiders, cameras, (spinning sheep?  :lol:) etc to be complete?

Has anyone any source for April previews other than Wikipedia, or know more about what  Alton/Merlin usually do so's to give more of an indication of their projected timescale for Construction completion? Unfortunately I haven't found anything else from a quick Google.
The Terminator

astralAndy wrote: Hey all, I had a scan through the main threads and couldn't find mention of this, if it's been discussed already apologies.

So we all know the ride is due to be open for the general public sometime in may, but obviously construction will have been completed quite some time before then.

On The Smiler's wikipedia page it says: Opening date: Previews in April 2013, official opening in May 2013.

I've not heard mention of this April preview until just now (hence my post), and never been to a ride preview before myself but I know that they're for press and lucky so-and-so's, and at any rate will mean that the ride is 100% completed (at least main construction if not quite 100% theming) and testing done (of course teething problems may still exist but the essential testing completed).
So, given that average testing time is, what, 2 weeks (? I'm not an expert but know it varies) and I guess certain of the theming elements which may not be in place by then could be sorted whilst testing, are we estimating late March / early April for the main construction including stations, spiders, cameras, (spinning sheep?  :lol:) etc to be complete?

Has anyone any source for April previews other than Wikipedia, or know more about what  Alton/Merlin usually do so's to give more of an indication of their projected timescale for Construction completion? Unfortunately I haven't found anything else from a quick Google.

Wikipedia :lol: you do know how that works right?
I WILL be back
Liam-AltonTowers

astralAndy wrote: Has anyone any source for April previews other than Wikipedia, or know more about what Alton/Merlin usually do so's to give more of an indication of their projected timescale for Construction completion? Unfortunately I haven't found anything else from a quick Google.
This was said on TowersStreet in their news feed:

UPDATE (15:37 – 21/01/13): Forum user MattH has been in contact with the Resort in regards to the opening date. They had the following response:
“Thank you for contacting the Alton Towers Resort regarding our exciting new ride for 2013.

We expect The Smiler, our fabulous new ride, to be fully open in May with previews to be confirmed in April.

As is always the case with huge developments like The Smiler we never really have a firm opening date. Of course we aim for the start of the season or Easter, but we are dependent on so many factors to achieve this – external suppliers and weather being the two main elements that can go wrong. This development started very well, but a combination of the sheer volume of rain that fell during the second half of last year and recent low temperatures and snowfall has caused a delay that we can’t recover. It’s disappointing of course but our main aim is to ensure the ride is finished to standard so we can open it confidently.

Please be advised that your tickets will be valid for a future date when the ride is in operation. Please see our website for details.

Regards

June Berrisford
Guest Services Manager”

Credit to Lewis97, thanks for the amazing signature!
astralAndy

The Terminator wrote:
astralAndy wrote: Hey all, I had a scan through the main threads and couldn't find mention of this, if it's been discussed already apologies.

Yes I know how wikipedia works, but also that the site is often bang on with information as it's often updated by those that actually know, i.e. It could be Alton which updated it. Was just asking if people have heard anything else about previews.

@Liam, cheers dude, yeah seen that one before and it's good to know they're not going to be rushing it as I was originally worried that they might.
Last edited by astralAndy on Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boz

Lets try and keep it friendly peeps ;)
The Psychoaster

astralAndy wrote:
The Terminator wrote:

Yes I know how wikipedia works, but also that the site is often bang on with information as it's often updated by those that actually know, i.e. It could be Alton which updated it. Was just asking if people have heard anything else about previews.

@Liam, cheers dude, yeah seen that one before and it's good to know they're not going to be rushing it as I was originally worried that they might.
You're 100% right. I created and have been updating the Wikipedia - there's no info on there that isn't sourced fact or clearly stated speculation. Rubbish and/or rumours are deleted within minutes either by me or someone else.
Nightfall

astralAndy wrote:I've not heard mention of this April preview until just now (hence my post), and never been to a ride preview before myself but I know that they're for press and lucky so-and-so's...
Unless I’m mistaken that’s not exactly what they mean by April previews. Previews or as some parks call them "soft openings" are not the same as press previews or behind the scenes tours. A soft opening occurs when the ride has a set opening date (in this case sometime in May) but they manage to complete the ride before that date and so open it but without advertising the fact that it's open.

This is quite common practice at parks like Disney which don't have a closed season so it allows them to run the ride at reduced capacity, or only for a few hours each day. This also acts as a further testing phase to see how the ride copes. If they find a problem they just can choose not to open the ride the next day while they fix it. No one can complain as the ride isn’t technically meant to be open yet.

Of course we don’t know yet if that’s exactly what Alton mean by previews but as the ride was supposed to open in March I predicted they’d want it open ASAP and the May date has just been given because they know there’s no chance they’ll miss that.
Last edited by Nightfall on Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[align=center]Image[/align]
Adam

As far as I'm aware. Currently The Smiler is due to officially open early May with the plan to open previews of the ride in late April. All dependant if more delays occur obviously.
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
Boz

Boz wrote: Lets try and keep it friendly peeps ;)
Just had to delete a couple more posts. Final warning, post with the respect you would like to receive, and above all keep it friendly.
Smileys can go a long way to communicating the emotions you are trying to convey, I would suggest people use these where in doubt.
If any one has a problem with a particular post, please use the report button at the botom right of the relevant post, rather than posting a heated response. and making a situation worse.
If I have to step in again today, then I'm going to have to start dishing out warnings (which I really don't want to have to do)
Thanks in advance peeps  8)
Last edited by Boz on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liam-AltonTowers

So what's everyone's predictions on what's happened to the site since the last photo update on the 17th January?

Credit to Lewis97, thanks for the amazing signature!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Liam-AltonTowers wrote: So what's everyone's predictions on what's happened to the site since the last photo update on the 17th January?
Not much in the way of track construction! Although they may start on the first lift hill once that area is ready - as it did look like they were focusing on that and the SE.
I would hope the main part of the station is pretty much built, and I hope they're eager to, to prevent too much snow and rain getting inside.
Hopefully the ground work is coming along, and more footers have been poured, or are ready to be (as they might not be able to do it, due to the cold weather).