The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
oliviamae

the coaster may be 100% ready to go but they're trying to keep things a secret - most people who visit AT haven't seen the plans so have no idea what they're in for
Chaz

oliviamae wrote: the coaster may be 100% ready to go but they're trying to keep things a secret - most people who visit AT haven't seen the plans so have no idea what they're in for
The marketing team and construction team are completely different entities. They will never 'hold off' on construction to keep things hidden from guests. They will just build it as quickly and safely as possible. They know what they're doing and I'm sure vertical construction will speed up soon.
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7
swfcjambo

If they can avoid vertical construction before the start of november, it will be much much easier to hide whats happening - I'm sure that they can isolate that area of the park for the few days that they do open during the closed season, so when they re-open in march, no-oone really knows what to expect. No consturction photos etc.
sweedish2009

swfcjambo wrote: If they can avoid vertical construction before the start of november, it will be much much easier to hide whats happening - I'm sure that they can isolate that area of the park for the few days that they do open during the closed season, so when they re-open in march, no-oone really knows what to expect. No consturction photos etc.
Part of me hates that, the other part of me loves it.

When was the last time we got a ride which was completely hidden for the whole duration of the construction? These days we have blogs, forums, twitter, facebook, camera phones and endless ways to gain information on new rides.

I vaguely remember following Nemesis being built, and my god it was completely different nearly 20 years ago when something was being built.

We've lost the sense of surprise when it comes to rides. Then again who am I kidding? If someone posted pictures of the worlds first element I'd be the first to look!! :P
Now's not the time for fear. That comes later.

Follow me on Twitter- https://twitter.com/one_hung_low
stu1980

10am on Saturday 16th March 2013 opening date
Has the magic gone for me - yep almost!
PeteB

TowersTimes were on resort yesterday and grabbed a construction update.

Here are couple of photos, there's more on the SW7 Mini Site: http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/sw7

aldredd

Interesting that they're referring to it as 'World Beating' rather than 'World's First'.
Perhaps it won't be quite the 'first' we were expecting.
Boz

The words first term has also been used by towers in other marketing elements. Check out the marketing discussion topic to view the discussion on it :)
I've just been comparing a couple of the construction pics, against the plans and my Sketchup model. I'm now 99% confident that a large portion of that hole is directly beneath the shop. Interesting :-k
andyuk200523

It does look like the marketing department have chosen to change from their original idea of DNA though, interesting....
Andrew

Next Trip - No Idea!
Thought when exiting The Smiler - "Which way is up?"
scw55

I hope so...

Would be interesting to link genetics with psychology. But doesn't mean it'll be good.

I'd rather they didn't overcomplicate the theme.  If visitors didn't understand then it'll be a disaster. e.g. N:ST at launch.
JoeGibbon

Boz wrote: I'm now 99% confident that a large portion of that hole is directly beneath the shop. Interesting :-k
Who else thinks it would actually be quite cool to have a glass floor in the shop if part of the track goes under it?
oliviamae

JoeGibbon wrote:
Boz wrote: I'm now 99% confident that a large portion of that hole is directly beneath the shop. Interesting :-k
Who else thinks it would actually be quite cool to have a glass floor in the shop if part of the track goes under it?
I would absolutely love this. I also hope the shop is set out like a little apothecary or something. Something creepy that will fit in with the theme in some way - or even very clinical, like a modern pharmacy
Double H

JoeGibbon wrote:
That would be kick ass on an epic proportion.

Maybe its a world beating coaster, but throws a whole load of worlds first inversions, loops etc into it like a combination mash up of various rides thrown into one that override the class on all scales.
altontowerskid

The hole that has been dug does look much deeper than I thought.

I haven't been following the ground work discussion as much as I should, but are we expecting a Saw-like start to the ride? With a drop down within the building? Or is that hole just deep enough for the foundations and ground level building?

Sorry, I'm not very "with-it" when it comes to construction.
Rocket

Is all the SW7 branded posters all gone now? I'm guessing replaced by the smiling faces
Themeparksandy1981

JoeGibbon wrote:
Or build the shop now and we watch Diggers moving the dirt around.
swfcjambo

altontowerskid wrote: The hole that has been dug does look much deeper than I thought.

I haven't been following the ground work discussion as much as I should, but are we expecting a Saw-like start to the ride? With a drop down within the building? Or is that hole just deep enough for the foundations and ground level building?

Sorry, I'm not very "with-it" when it comes to construction.
I'm not a construction expert, but your average house has footers approx. 1m down (depending on the stabilty of the surrounding land- although they tend to use piles if the ground is remotely unstable. My guess is that the a hole that big will have something inside it....
aldredd

Or, an underground viewing gallery behind 1-way glass .
Imagine it - train stops, something jumps out & scares the poop out of most of the passengers, and those behind the glass get to laugh at the 'well ard' chavs bricking it :0D
scw55

Well Oblivion has a 'viewing' section at the pit. Why wouldn't SW7 have a viewing section either to make the coasters consistent with each other.
Marcus

Themeparksandy1981 wrote: What I don't understand is that you think they will have a team building that retaining wall and another putting the footers in with only 164 days to go I can't see any indoor sections as you look at theses pictures taken of Saw been build  http://projectdylan.co.uk/Construction/105 as you can see from the 9th Oct pics the coaster was already up.
Yer that is very odd, I hope it gets finished on time and that its not rushed.