The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
Kenzie2012

Theres always 1....
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
stretchy

Todays photos.. Enjoy

The back of the site has had some serious work done this week
rebar has been embedded
This is the from the mid level, around the middle of the footprint. There is a lot of soil being moved around
Zoomed out
From the base gates
The concrete sides that have already been mentioned. These are obviosly going to be slotted in soonish
More rebar waiting to go in at the back of the site
SIgn of the day
Ohh look they've found another way to fill up the hole with water
From the toilets
a rebar cube awaiting positioning.
a glimpse inside the sub station
usual site overview
I spy old supports
my that's a mighty deep hole.. and with supports all around it.. whats going on here? And some concrete spacers have already been added.
[url=http://"http://www.stretchedmindz.com"]Image[/url]

[url=http://"http://www.secretsantaelf.co.uk"]Image[/url]
Liam B

may I ask what is the substation? has that just been built or am I forgetting things?:P
Delta79

Some of the work look to be power related, this building looks to be a new power sub station for the SW7 or even x sector it self.

It was build near the being of the construction, and cable works were done before the old Blackhole power inlet system was removed (it was in the building with 3 blackhole supports sticking out the top)

Hope this clears it up for you hambletwins
Liam B

ah! thankyou!
swfcjambo

That hole looks very deep - is there maybe some large underground section that has not been disclosed yet?
spark

Loving the splash down section lol

Great pictures, helps you get some perspective with the depth on site
oliviamae

swfcjambo wrote: That hole looks very deep - is there maybe some large underground section that has not been disclosed yet?
probably to combat the height issue - so i guess it could be for a greater drop
Thirteen

I'm most worried about the weather recently. Anyone know if and how badly the recent floods in the UK have effected AT? Does anyone remember the oblivion tunnel before it was anywhere near complete... Didn't they have similar weather then and the pit flooded?

How long would a flood set them back do you think?
Liam B

not long I think. They can just get in a massive water pump :)
Jammydodger

I'm really excited to see some genuine hardcore landscaping going on. This is the first time in a long while since AT have done any sort of extensive landscape work, just look at TH13TEEN, Rita and to be honest, even Air.
Thirteen

I think they sorta need to for this though. The ride mechanically looks rather simple given none of the track elements are world firsts. All that spare money gives more room for landscaping and scenery.

Of course the biggest reason is to keep height down while having big drops to make sure the locals don't see or hear too much.

You can tell they're putting effort into making sure everyone's happy.
roary01

I just thought id add this in, and its not what people are going to want to hear,
but the ride is now from what ive herd weeks behind schedule as it actually should now be footers/ride but dude to weather this summer it has delayed the ride a LOT, and with it now going into winter it not exactly going to make things easier, just hope there isn't a rush job at the end and things get left out...
Chaz

With all due respect, I don't think what you've heard to correct. Yes, they may be behind schedule but you can't really blame the weather. The weather is a bit naff now and there's been a few cruddy days over the summer but generally it's been dry (albeit not that sunny) over the past few months.

They took their time from getting permission to taking the tent down, and then the land remained untouched for quite a while. Eurofighters really do go up quick so I don't think there's anything to worry about just yet.
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7
cookiee_munster

if it is behind schedule, i really hope that the park postpone its opening. id rather wait longer for it to have a proper opening with everything properly finished etc rather than everything being rushed.
Liam B

like what happened to sub-terra
oliviamae

roary01 wrote: I just thought id add this in, and its not what people are going to want to hear,
but the ride is now from what ive herd weeks behind schedule as it actually should now be footers/ride but dude to weather this summer it has delayed the ride a LOT, and with it now going into winter it not exactly going to make things easier, just hope there isn't a rush job at the end and things get left out...
it's stafforshire, i'm sure theyre used to the weather.
also it doesn't automatically jump from summer to winter; it's only just autumn and the weather is getting a lot more mild (even if it is freezing, it's not flooding etc)
you can trust these professionals to put up the ride and have it tested and ready before the new season. it's their job and they wouldn't have been hired by europe's biggest entertainments company if they weren't up to the task. don't worry about it.
Jammydodger

This very time of year last year the same comments were being made about THE SWARM, a month later the ride was practically finished...
Thirteen

Jammydodger wrote: This very time of year last year the same comments were being made about THE SWARM, a month later the ride was practically finished...
I agree, given the fact that AT and Merlin do this for a living they would either allow for a delay in their timing and/or have money ready to employ more workmen.

It's not going to be delayed from what I can see.
Themeparksandy1981

What I don't understand is that you think they will have a team building that retaining wall and another putting the footers in with only 164 days to go I can't see any indoor sections as you look at theses pictures taken of Saw been build  http://projectdylan.co.uk/Construction/105 as you can see from the 9th Oct pics the coaster was already up.