The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
jordanc14

Just found this on ride entertainment group of companies facebook page, possibly SW7 track?

Boz

could be anything to be honest. Although if it's a recent pic, then it won't be as SW7's track should be finished and ready to be shipped.
However if it is SW7 track then it's unlikely the  company would be posting pics on the web, due to Towers extreme level of secrecy for their SW projects.
sweedish2009

Looking very similar to a quarry at the moment.

However the size of that hole does interest me. Not even a hint of what we'll see potentially inside the ride station/building area, and I fully expect construction on that part of the ride to be kept under wraps for quite some time.

Do we know how easy it will be off season for any one to get construction update pictures from outside of the park?
Now's not the time for fear. That comes later.

Follow me on Twitter- https://twitter.com/one_hung_low
JoeGibbon

jordanc14 wrote: Just found this on ride entertainment group of companies facebook page, possibly SW7 track?

That looks like the bottom of one of their more-than-vertical drops, due to the curvature and the bi-rail track merging to tri-rail. Because of this, I doubt that this is a picture of sw7's track
Jammydodger

Had a good old look today, and the hole is remarkably huge. Almost down to the size of oblivion!
Also as you can see to the right of picture, some sort of framework has began to be put up. Saw lots of suits going in and out the entrance to the site next to the toilets, which was actually left unlocked...I resisted the urge to go in though haha...

Marketing seems to be ramping up too, even if it is in the most uninspired way possible. Lots of leaflets were handed out on exit, and there are loads of posters up with the QR code to the site.
The Moon

jordanc14 wrote: Just found this on ride entertainment group of companies facebook page, possibly SW7 track?

That is Iron Shark. Unpainted, ready to be painted on site at Galveston. I believe the only Eurofighter to be built this way.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...
stu1980

by the loos there is a load of support beams and supports now on site too. (little gate at the back of gents) ALSO the building area has been changed a little as you now go via the back of the new chicken eating place of via the steps down to bottom of x sector.
Has the magic gone for me - yep almost!
Boz

awesome stuff, there is a construction update coming later today or tomorrow, so hopefully we will see some pics :)
Vladimir Bobinski

The Moon wrote:

That is Iron Shark. Unpainted, ready to be painted on site at Galveston. I believe the only Eurofighter to be built this way.
Normally I would agree but the Group page confirmed that photo was taken yesterday.

It could easily be SW7, or any other future ride.  Another photo that went up 5 hours ago.

ry1996

It could be for sw7, however im sure the plans said that the track colour would be a grey 'ish' like Oblivions..not dark black?.
EDIT: nope looking at the plans, the track will be black grey..so that track could be the one.
Last edited by ry1996 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vladimir Bobinski

Well I paid a casual visit to Alton yesterday, took a few random snaps from where I could, hope this helps to the cause!

As far I could tell they were doing landscaping leading down to the pit, that doesn't seem any deeper and workmen working with the material near the toilets.  A few sneaky shots.  :D

(Click for bigger picture)

Alton Towers - SW7 Construction - 1 - 18/09/12 by Vladimir Bobinski, on Flickr

Alton Towers - SW7 Construction - 2 - 18/09/12 by Vladimir Bobinski, on Flickr

Alton Towers - SW7 Construction - 3 - 18/09/12 by Vladimir Bobinski, on Flickr

Alton Towers - SW7 Construction - 4 - 18/09/12 by Vladimir Bobinski, on Flickr

Something that was pointed out to me that I found interesting, concrete cannot be poured below 5 degrees centigrade, also it takes around 27 days to set to the point where they can work with it.
Benji

Im suprised that we have seen no footers yet!

Thanks to Lewis for the sig!
swfcjambo

ben.at08 wrote: Im suprised that we have seen no footers yet!
Notice from the Gersty Website (http://www.gerstlauer-rides.de/products ... hter-en-US) that the eurofighter is available "with foundations or with a base frame". Maybe it will have a base frame????
Boz

base frames are only really suitable for "car park" coasters, those that are built on flat concrete.
SW7, as we can see already, is heavily landscaped, making such a frame impossible.

Edit: also just noticed the black hole workshop has gone  :O
Last edited by Boz on Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Themeparksandy1981

Edit: also just noticed the black hole workshop has gone  :O
[/quote]

They moved that to Stop the workers having lots of tea breaks lol.

I been looking at the construction pics of Rita and Spinball Whizzer now Sonic and the worrying thing is theses were started around Sept time and are basic coasters with min theming. Land clearing for SW7 started nearly 6 months ago and all there got to show for it is a big hole. With roughly 26 weeks left to opening I doubt we see a well themed coaster to match the other SW coasters. All the other SW coasters started construction/land clearing during the closed season.
stretchy

OK really quick photos today. I was a dumb-ass and somehow left my camera on in my bag (playing a slideshow of 4000 pics so I only managed to get a few before it died. All are from the top toilets. There was a lot of work removing soil happening but not much more.

[url=http://"http://www.stretchedmindz.com"]Image[/url]

[url=http://"http://www.secretsantaelf.co.uk"]Image[/url]
Jammydodger

I should imagine they probably see a lot of pedestrians right in the middle of a construction site then?
Delta79

Jammydodger wrote: I should imagine they probably see a lot of pedestrians right in the middle of a construction site then?
Oh yes, it to direct the delivery bods from the local bacon butty van and the tea lady to the nice safe steps, as they don't want the slip hazard of dropped butty and tea on the slippy slopes  :D
Vladimir Bobinski

Sorry to ruin the joke but pedestrian quite literally means, person travelling by foot.  It has nothing to do with being members of the public.
Liam B

Vladimir Bobinski wrote: Sorry to ruin the joke but pedestrian quite literally means, person travelling by foot.  It has nothing to do with being members of the public.
Well you just ruined the fun! :(