The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
CoasterCrazyChris

No, I'm referring to the box right by the three remining supports of the Black Hole.
Bote

It was either part of the old queueline or the run up to the spiral lift I believe :)
PeteMadden

Ritadz wrote:
Boz wrote:
Ritadz wrote: According to the plans there's a viewing platform located where the BH's entrance is, so maybe we could see it staying there as the entrance to said platform.

:)
sorry to correct you ritadz but the viewing platform is actually approx 15m further up the hill from the old black hole entrance 8)
The arch could still easily be used though.

It may well be. Considering they're adding the main attraction to the heart of the ride (that is, the centre of the site), you'd expect the arch may well be used.
Suprised to hear the ride space is only going to be 1.5 acres as well.

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x8HQS8fXew
cybermen39

Hi the silver looking box thing your calling it was part of the old queue line there were about 6 of them in the queue they all had tvs in them and when the tv was,nt working they had the alton towers radio playing in them. Which did not last long. People used to stay under them in the rain wait for the queue to move along then run to the next one.
CrazyTowers

CoasterCrazyChris wrote: No, I'm referring to the box right by the three remining supports of the Black Hole.
I think it was the Black Hole car maintenance shed. I think it used to have some track leading into it which gets into it via the use of switching track sections, like track that moves side to side near the end of Th13teen to get back to the station. (There was a behind the scenes thing on another website which showed the inside of it, you can probably find it by typing it in on Google and wading through the search results. Also, I think it's  in one of the Black Hole construction images, or it could be some other structure within the tent.) Hope this helps. :)

(Oh I do wonder what the plaza will be like!)

EDIT: here's the link! There's a few pictures of inside the “Black Hole toolshed” and more!
gallery.towersalmanac.com/thumbnails.php?album=114
Last edited by CrazyTowers on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's been a while.
roary01

Just on way back from a day on park, managed take a few pics, the concrete floor has now well on way been removed and was a hive of
activity today
cybermen39

Hi what crazy towers said about it being a maintenance shed is wrong they were like silver bridges you walked under with tv ,s in them playing music videos and when they did not work it played alton towers radio which did not last long. And where it still stands was the original vintage car track which became part of the black hole queue line with the track taken away but leaving the original concrete path with the silver bridges placed along the path.
cybermen39

Hi i would also like to add that this was the later queue line when the ride first opened you queued down from were the enterprise was went then went inside the big round part of the tent and went i would say about half way round the inside of the tent and back again and you were stood right next to thick black plastic sheeting that went right up to the top of the tent. And you could not see the cars going round and up the track but could hear it really well as it was just behind the black plastic sheeting. I may not know alot about the brand new rides but back then we visited twice a year.
Bote

I think there is some confusion by what Chris is describing here.

Some of us are describing the grey sort of box which runs along the floor of the ride area, directly in front of the 3 remaining supports from the tent, while others are describing the queueline archways, similar to the one found in the upper section of the Air queueline.

I'm guessing Chris knows which is meant though :P
CoasterCrazyChris

Bote wrote:
Some of us are describing the grey sort of box which runs along the floor of the ride area,
This.

thatboyfromthewoods

roary01 wrote: Just on way back from a day on park, managed take a few pics, the concrete floor has now well on way been removed and was a hive of
activity today

Thats just teasing! Show us those photos!
pluk

CoasterCrazyChris wrote:
Bote wrote:
Some of us are describing the grey sort of box which runs along the floor of the ride area,
This.

Well if that is the maintenance area, which I think is correct, it would also make sense if that was the power source  for the site and therefore explain why it has been left there and covered for now.
Total Unique Ridecount
roary01

So heres the pictures i managed to get from the SW7 site today,
lots of groundwork was taking place, with all the paving nearly taken up and also removing the base from the tent,
also what looked like work in the back (tree'd) area...
CrazyTowers

I thought that the concrete base would have been a bit more thicker to support a coaster, but now the diggers can dig even more! YAY!

(Thanks for the part confusing corrections earlier guys! (I'm trying not to sound sarcastic!)) I see how it would be part of the old queline, seems the right hight & stuff. I only wish I was alive in the 1980s to see & ride it before it had an overhaul.
It's been a while.
SnorlixAlgeon
Location: not near enough to my idea of paradise (alton obviously)

am i the only one thinking they might not finish it in time? maybe they will but if it is going to be as immense as the plans suggest, perhaps the towers are being a bit over ambitious...........

all i hope is the theming is as good as the coaster  :P
nemesis is utterly epical and completely immense. enough said.
formula1fan

SnorlixAlgeon wrote: am i the only one thinking they might not finish it in time? maybe they will but if it is going to be as immense as the plans suggest, perhaps the towers are being a bit over ambitious...........

If, as is generally suspected on here, the coaster is a Eurofighter-type by Gerstlauer, then the coaster should be fully constructed relatively quickly, leaving plenty of time for theming, station building and finishing touches to be done before the anticipated opening in March next year. :)
iriderides101

formula1fan wrote:
SnorlixAlgeon wrote: am i the only one thinking they might not finish it in time? maybe they will but if it is going to be as immense as the plans suggest, perhaps the towers are being a bit over ambitious...........

If, as is generally suspected on here, the coaster is a Eurofighter-type by Gerstlauer, then the coaster should be fully constructed relatively quickly, leaving plenty of time for theming, station building and finishing touches to be done before the anticipated opening in March next year. :)
Eurofighters can be erected pretty quickly! If my memory is correct speed at oakwood began construction in January and opened in April. A short time but remember speed hasn't got any theming!
Last edited by iriderides101 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boz

Indeed it should go up pretty fast. In fact if I remember correctly, SAW started vertical construction mid sept and was testing just before Christmas
PeteB

I'm always amazed at the speed modern coasters go up. Think a lot more prefab happens now than ever.

Looking forward to seeing the station building go more than the track if I'm honest. We really need some clues as to what will be going on in there.
PeteMadden

As soon as we start to see the formation of the track and theme of the ride, I will be unbelievably stoked.