The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
Owen

RCandrew wrote:
Andzdrew wrote:
RCandrew wrote: I don't think there will be a drop but,
When people were talking about it dropping, I thought they meant all the way back and then it would roll to a stop on the flat before the lift hill, maybe breaks stop it I don't know, then it's carried up again?
There is a lovely set of pinch brakes at the bottom of the vertical lift for this exact purpose
So what are you saying?? It will or won't? :)
Don't worry he's been like this for ages it is almost certain it won't
Phild94

Andzdrew wrote:
RCandrew wrote: I don't think there will be a drop but,
When people were talking about it dropping, I thought they meant all the way back and then it would roll to a stop on the flat before the lift hill, maybe breaks stop it I don't know, then it's carried up again?
There is a lovely set of pinch brakes at the bottom of the vertical lift for this exact purpose
Read wardleys email and please STOP WITH THE FINSSSSS XD

No other worlds first just a fantastic coaster.... Please andzdrew, leave it, one day there will be a reverse vertical drop, but today is not that day

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
jrch123

Andzdrew wrote:
Boz wrote: the first stop will be the block brakes, possibly timing "or a potential dueling capability (which is the only thing we haven't had confirmed or denied yet).
The second pause, is due to the way in which Gerst's lift system works. there is a "catch block" attached to the chain at a certain point, which has to come up behind the train, before it can be pulled up the hill. I saw a video on this somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.
I'd just like to make a point of this... In my freefall drop theory, the easiest way to achieve it would be to have two of these "catch blocks" on the chain... Obviously this drop element is still a secret... Even from the people that are riding it! Guess how that would be achieved? They take the train to the bottom of the lifthill, they manually hold the train while they advance the chain enough so that the special dropping catch block goes up, then they let the train go and it hooks onto the "up and over" catch block.

The reason they cut this section is because sharp eyed people like me would see the chain advancing and the special catch block going up... It would be visual proof of a drop.
Go back a few pages, someone responded to your previous comment with a FULL POV, NO CUTS. Take a little look at that video - and we will see if your theory is correct. Instead of avoiding it, lets see you respond to the FULL POV, NO CUTS...

If you are fully convinced after the FULL POV, NO CUTS (yes the one that hasn't been cut at all) then please print screen areas that you think proove a drop - and maybe people will start beleiving you.

Oh and if you didn't get the message or couldn't find it... http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/al ... um=twitter

However, if you don't find anything - can you please give this whole backwards freefall idea to rest - its getting boring - Sorry for being patronising but its annoying when you don't respond or acknowledge someone responding to you, and then a few pages later - talk about your idea like nothing had happened.
Last edited by jrch123 on Thu May 16, 2013 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack

I NEVER WANT TO HEAR ABOUT FINS AGAIN!!!
LCFCjames

I'm glad that's FINished ;)

Right... I was wondering about the inside part of the queing system. I know at one point there was rumours of optical illusions around the walls. I think this would be pretty cool and would make the queue line more exciting. I also think there'll be a small pre-show just after you enter the station building. I'm guessing this will just be the MOJ explaining the process of marmalisation, remember to smile, open your hearts to joy etc. It would be great if they had TV's throughout the outdoor queue line as well, much like sub-terra, but no evidence of that thus far. Smile. Always. 8)
DaveBear

I think we could see some of the Worlds First being to do with the whole process of queuing for the ride up to boarding of the ride.

I think they would use the Theme to basically generate anticipation and tension as your waiting to que for the ride.

The Game and the Marmaliser screen does indicate stages to the Marmalisation process.... These included Recruitment, Data Capture, Brain Wipe, Processing and then Marmalisation and finally Correction Completed.

So yeah maybe this could play into the Ride, and that the Marmalisation will be the Ride but then the other Stages take place while queuing.
RCandrew

I find it quite funny how I don't know what fins are :lol: but I shall not ask ;)
Forza_Dan24

Thanks to Roodlesnouter we have been able to identify "Stage one: The inoculator" on the queue line entrance.

Based on this, perhaps you go through the 5 stages of marmalisation in the queue line before the actual ride? :moj
Smile. Always. :moj
Big thanks to lewis97 for the signature!
youarecorrectsir

Forza_Dan24 wrote: Thanks to Roodlesnouter we have been able to identify "Stage one: The inoculator" on the queue line entrance.

Based on this, perhaps you go through the 5 stages of marmalisation in the queue line before the actual ride? :moj
My thoughts exactly! It would be relatively easy for them to apply the different stages:

1) Inoculation - spraying in the arches.
2) Tickling - in the queue before you ride!
3) Flasher - in the barrel roll under the station.
4) & 5) Giggler and hypnotiser - perhaps before the first lift hill? There is still space for effects to go in afterall...
[align=center]"Everybody dies, but not everybody lives"[/align]
SwEDEN

Forza_Dan24 wrote: Thanks to Roodlesnouter we have been able to identify "Stage one: The inoculator" on the queue line entrance.

Would make sense since the innoculator is the third leg (I think) that the car goes under!
Now do we think that this will be in the queline or in the indoor section????? hmmmmm

Edit: The guy above me says it better :lol:
DaveBear

Yes could well be...  :lol:

Maybe with more special effects the further down the line and indoor....
Andzdrew

jrch123 wrote:
Andzdrew wrote:
Boz wrote: the first stop will be the block brakes, possibly timing "or a potential dueling capability (which is the only thing we haven't had confirmed or denied yet).
The second pause, is due to the way in which Gerst's lift system works. there is a "catch block" attached to the chain at a certain point, which has to come up behind the train, before it can be pulled up the hill. I saw a video on this somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.
I'd just like to make a point of this... In my freefall drop theory, the easiest way to achieve it would be to have two of these "catch blocks" on the chain... Obviously this drop element is still a secret... Even from the people that are riding it! Guess how that would be achieved? They take the train to the bottom of the lifthill, they manually hold the train while they advance the chain enough so that the special dropping catch block goes up, then they let the train go and it hooks onto the "up and over" catch block.

The reason they cut this section is because sharp eyed people like me would see the chain advancing and the special catch block going up... It would be visual proof of a drop.
Go back a few pages, someone responded to your previous comment with a FULL POV, NO CUTS. Take a little look at that video - and we will see if your theory is correct. Instead of avoiding it, lets see you respond to the FULL POV, NO CUTS...

If you are fully convinced after the FULL POV, NO CUTS (yes the one that hasn't been cut at all) then please print screen areas that you think proove a drop - and maybe people will start beleiving you.

Oh and if you didn't get the message or couldn't find it... http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/al ... um=twitter

However, if you don't find anything - can you please give this whole backwards freefall idea to rest - its getting boring - Sorry for being patronising but its annoying when you don't respond or acknowledge someone responding to you, and then a few pages later - talk about your idea like nothing had happened.
Unfortunately the daily mirror vid is the only one I'm completely unable to watch, something about installing flash, when everything else flash based works fine for me. However I'm extremely doubtful that it is truly uncut and is facing forward the whole time, such that you can see the lifthill chain not move until the train is hooked onto it... I'm almost certain Alton towers themselves are either editing, or requesting the footage is edited of every POV we've seen so far. Even the blue peter one did a mysterious white flash edit, and cut to the lifthill in motion... That's 5 POVs I've seen with the exact same parts cut, admitted I haven't seen the DM one, but it's an odd coinsidence the rest have obvious editing at those points which doesn't actually appear to save any time or serve any purpose other than to deliberately hide something
TowersTimes

Following Moderation issues earlier today, Team TTF have a message for all members to please read - http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/the-smil ... #msg734586
Jmurphy55

Andzdrew wrote:
jrch123 wrote:
Andzdrew wrote: I'd just like to make a point of this... In my freefall drop theory, the easiest way to achieve it would be to have two of these "catch blocks" on the chain... Obviously this drop element is still a secret... Even from the people that are riding it! Guess how that would be achieved? They take the train to the bottom of the lifthill, they manually hold the train while they advance the chain enough so that the special dropping catch block goes up, then they let the train go and it hooks onto the "up and over" catch block.

Unfortunately the daily mirror vid is the only one I'm completely unable to watch, something about installing flash, when everything else flash based works fine for me. However I'm extremely doubtful that it is truly uncut and is facing forward the whole time, such that you can see the lifthill chain not move until the train is hooked onto it... I'm almost certain Alton towers themselves are either editing, or requesting the footage is edited of every POV we've seen so far. Even the blue peter one did a mysterious white flash edit, and cut to the lifthill in motion... That's 5 POVs I've seen with the exact same parts cut, admitted I haven't seen the DM one, but it's an odd coinsidence the rest have obvious editing at those points which doesn't actually appear to save any time or serve any purpose other than to deliberately hide something
Interesting and I hadn't noticed that.

Still haven't ruled out a drop myself, I'll possibly be proven wrong but I still think there's a lot more to this ride than we've seen thus far.

As I've said numerous times, in the event that the lift hill did have a drop, it would obviously need to be able to operate as a conventional lift hill anyway, for safety reasons, so videos of the train ascending the lift hill, in edited or not, don't really prove anything.

It's pure speculation but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the drop existed. I think it would fit in with the whole smiler, disorientation theme as well, personally.
jetsetwilly

Andzdrew wrote: Unfortunately the daily mirror vid is the only one I'm completely unable to watch, something about installing flash, when everything else flash based works fine for me. However I'm extremely doubtful that it is truly uncut and is facing forward the whole time, such that you can see the lifthill chain not move until the train is hooked onto it... I'm almost certain Alton towers themselves are either editing, or requesting the footage is edited of every POV we've seen so far. Even the blue peter one did a mysterious white flash edit, and cut to the lifthill in motion... That's 5 POVs I've seen with the exact same parts cut, admitted I haven't seen the DM one, but it's an odd coinsidence the rest have obvious editing at those points which doesn't actually appear to save any time or serve any purpose other than to deliberately hide something
There's definitely no cutting invovled in the video. There's 30 seconds-ish of waiting at the foot of the lift hill, 10 seconds-ish of the chain moving followed by 35 seconds-ish of vertical lift-iness.....I'd call chopping out 40 seconds of nothingness obvious editing. Oh and there's a shed loads of giggling too. Guess it works!
Andzdrew

10 seconds of chain churning seems excessive, like they're definitely running it in manual mode. Thanks for the clarification though
deeve

This ride when it opens and all the elements are working it will form one hell of a ride. Ok it wont be full of air time hills and have huge drops as Intimidator 305 or MF but it will be a great theme park attraction. Who cares how many worlds firsts it has. I have not felt like this about an Alton Towers coaster since Air. I am sorry for not caring earlier about this ride.
PSxyz

DaveBear wrote: I think we could see some of the Worlds First being to do with the whole process of queuing for the ride up to boarding of the ride.

I think they would use the Theme to basically generate anticipation and tension as your waiting to que for the ride.

The Game and the Marmaliser screen does indicate stages to the Marmalisation process.... These included Recruitment, Data Capture, Brain Wipe, Processing and then Marmalisation and finally Correction Completed.

So yeah maybe this could play into the Ride, and that the Marmalisation will be the Ride but then the other Stages take place while queuing.
Most ques generate anticipation and tension anyway, some rides don't even need to try.
Fishfingerish

Press release today!  :D

Edit: May I also congratulate myself on my 50th post! :D
Towers Times' resident Muser

Oh yes! Please check out my YouTube channel if it's not too painful:
www.youtube.com/user/hpvideosofficial
youarecorrectsir

You know, if the previous record for inversions was 10, I always wondered why they went for 14. Not 11, not 12, not 13... but 14.

Do you think it could be a little nod toward th13teen? A progression if you will?

Coincidence? Or another crafty little detail?
[align=center]"Everybody dies, but not everybody lives"[/align]