The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
RyanY

I would prefer trains to shuttles but if Fahrenheit with its vertical lift is anything to go by then it will only be 3 carriages of 4 and that is 12 and some people are saying that this could be 3 rows of 4 unlike a normal eurofighter which is 2 rows of 4. So it would really be better for a 3 row shuttle with 4 people on each row then a train that can he the same as the 3 rows of 4 is shorter which means they could fit more on the track.
Nightfall

Dormiens-Dave wrote: Having ridden Nemesis97 Nolimits creation a thought occured. The ride using typical shuttle cars runs around the track so fast that the ride would be quite uncomfortable (and his recreation looks very accurate). Yet if you change the ride style to a train of cars it runs through the elements at a comfortable but thrilling pace.

Obviously no-limits isn't 100% accurate but linking this in with an observation about the width of the entrance and exit hatches for the building i'm wondering if we are getting a train rather than a shuttle. Would explain the lack of sharp incline drops too.
I too agree with this theory. I think it will be a small train but for capacity reasons and given the different track design it certainly suggest something slightly different. The Eurofighter design has changed a lot since it’s first debuted. I think there has been 3 different versions so far (based on different track and train designs) and this could be the 4th.
[align=center]Image[/align]
Jiminy Cricket

could it be trains similar to Maverick? that sort of length?
Blizzard

Someone said they have ridden Nemesis97s recreation, but I cant find the link on the forum. If anyone has it, could they please let me know, as Id love to ride it!

Credit To SIMR for the signature & Avatar.
Tom G

I would expect this to have a capacity of 1,300 per hour at the very minimum, with 1,500 a strong possibility.

I can't really be bothered to speculate too much how they will manage that at this stage, it's just a target that is a no brainer for a new ride of this scale. John Wardley himself has said in the past that 1,000 minimum and 1,500 ideally is the target for new major rides.

The only technical problem I really envision that would hinder capacity is the vertical lift section, I've never known one of these to take large trains before?
D-Man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6m7bWmgd4E - Link to another SW7 recreation, think it's Nemesis97's :) It looks good :)

I'm thinking that this ride looks immense, but what bothers me is that it looks like it's just been tangled up into a site that has a smaller space than is needed. That batwing/cobraroll interlock will look fantastic but looks like it will be to much for the area. I think it's only because I'm seeing it in the plans but I have a feeling it will look really cluttered in their especially with the themeing pieces.
Last edited by D-Man on Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alba gu brath! Scotland Forever!
Bote

If we will see trains I'd put my money on us seeing something like Cheetah Hunt. Multiple small trains. CH has 5 trains of 4 each holding 16 riders. Using that it achieves (Or at least does if Busch run it efficiently :P ) 1370 riders per hour. That's roughly around were all the other SW coasters manage. We'd want at least 1000pph on something like this though to ensure the queues are reasonable.

I think that could be likely what we'll see here, though maybe less trains depending on blocks.

One advantage of using several small trains though is that the queue would be kept moving rather smoothly. Just look at Th13teen. Though it can get long queues if there are no breakdowns it eats through it rather well and you're not stood still for too long. One of the main holdups there is the queueline shop, if that was scrapped it'd be much better.

This is why I like rides like Duel, Rapids, The Flume, and Th13teen. You don't really feel like you're in a queue as it's always moving forwards at a good rate. Even when the queues are long you still 'flow' much better than other rides.

If we are seeing a ride which uses trains then a dual station like Air probably isn't out of the question. If we're seeing shuttels though I still think we'd be seeing dual loading like Oblivion and Saw. Doesn't CH use dual loading though? I guess train length permitting that wouldn't be out of the question.
AstroDan

Rita can achieve 1100pph. Anything less than this would be a nightmare, we already know how bad Rita's queue gets!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
mrbrightside

I have high hopes that this ride will instantly fall into 2nd place behind Nemesis - therefore it needs at least 1200rph as a minimum IMO or it will be a disaster!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ImageImage
Lotte

mrbrightside wrote: I have high hopes that this ride will instantly fall into 2nd place behind Nemesis - therefore it needs at least 1200rph as a minimum IMO or it will be a disaster!

Qing has never bothered me at any park as i only go on a week day when kids are in school
themealgang

ryanyoxall wrote: I would prefer trains to shuttles but if Fahrenheit with its vertical lift is anything to go by then it will only be 3 carriages of 4 and that is 12 and some people are saying that this could be 3 rows of 4 unlike a normal eurofighter which is 2 rows of 4. So it would really be better for a 3 row shuttle with 4 people on each row then a train that can he the same as the 3 rows of 4 is shorter which means they could fit more on the track.
I too agree. I'm hopping for trains rather than shuttles. I would of thought that Merlin would of learned from the chaos that occurred with Saw's opening, they would be keen to install trains that have a higher capacity than eight. However, I did see that Gerstlauer did originally have two cars on the Eurofighter trains with the lap bars. Maybe this is a posibility for SW7?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Blaze

It looks like itwould need multiple cars to get a decent thoughput.

Not just that, my main problem with Eurofighters, and to a lesser degree X-Cars, is their tiny little cars make them look weak and a bit of a novelty. It doesn't have the impact of say, a big, heavy B&M train. I'd be worried that if it only has a single car of 6 or 8 riders that I just won't be able to take it seriously as the big, expensive, extreme-thrill machine that it is.
Benjsh

I haven't read through all the topics and responses so I apologise in advance if it has already been brought up......

But does anyone think that SW7 could be themed around an actual BLACK HOLE to pay homage to the great ride that once stood so proudly in the same area. I notice that one of the theming elements, the largest going off the plans, seems to be in the middle of the track layout. I reckon a nice black hole Element could work really well and would keep at least some reference to the black hole in the area.

Maybe I'm being overly sentimental :( but it will have to be themed around something. May as well use something that worked so well in the past.
mrbrightside

Lotte wrote:Qing has never bothered me at any park as i only go on a week day when kids are in school
the trouble is, whilst that good for you... The GP who visit at peak times won't be happy if there are always huge queues.

ImageImage
dominoes

I am slightly worried this will get what I call Colossus Syndrome. That is where the coaster design only focuses on inversion, and completely ignores turns or airtime. However, with the little airtime hills and the indoor section this may be alright...
Jollylee11

Do you think the theming pictures will be online soon? im dying to see it! and the inside of the station building
Blaze

The inside layout of the building will be, but I doubt the theming will. The dimensions are all they need to show.
AstroDan

dominoes wrote: I am slightly worried this will get what I call Colossus Syndrome. That is where the coaster design only focuses on inversion, and completely ignores turns or airtime. However, with the little airtime hills and the indoor section this may be alright...
Well not many coasters tick all boxes.

You could say that most B&M Hypers ignore turns and inversions, for example - but the public still love them.

:)
ponder

Not to mention that the bunny-hop after the loop on Colossus provides a nice pop of air time ;) 'Colossus syndrome' for me is largely based around the combination of poor train design and uncomfortable restraints with the 4 in-line twists. SW7 certainly doesn't have the latter, and hopefully won't have the former!

Loop - Roller coaster and Theme Park inspired T-shirts
http://looptees.com / https://www.facebook.com/looptps
muttlee

I mentioned this in the area discussion, but seeing as throughput has come up here I'll mention it here too...

Looking at the queline, I reckon the outside main queue from Plaza to Building is very roughly just under 400M, obviously that doesn't include any queline in the building, but 400M doesn't seem that much to me, therefore you'd hope for a high ride throughput.

How does 400M compare to the other rides?