The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
Dormiens-Dave

I think people see the "magic days" with a little bit of a rose-tinted filter, they where never actually that much more amazing than the park is now. We just had a management team who seemed to want to do things with some sparkle. I actually do feel that this year we have that again, i just hope Merlin let them.
AstroDan

The parks ethos was to create magical moments for guests.

Merlin values are entirely different to this.

:)

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk
aru

It's crazy that this idea has been dropped though - some of the people at the top of Merlin are the very people that worked under the 'magic' ethos at Alton Towers.

If you read the stated values of Merlin they are a bit, well, un-magical:  http://www.merlinentertainments.biz/en/company/vision.aspx
Last edited by aru on Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poison Tom 96

aru wrote: It's crazy that this idea has been dropped though - some of the people at the top of Merlin are the very people that worked under the 'magic' ethos at Alton Towers.
I have a feeling they still do.....but the middle management don't
Dormiens-Dave

Poison Tom 96 wrote:
aru wrote: It's crazy that this idea has been dropped though - some of the people at the top of Merlin are the very people that worked under the 'magic' ethos at Alton Towers.
I have a feeling they still do.....but the middle management don't
Its definately the other way around, the middle management are the ones fighting for the magic. but this is getting a bit off topic.
Poison Tom 96

I meant in Merlin not AT management at all.

Anyway i agree, this is a bit off topic
James

In terms of 'the magic' I believe the magic is always present. Just in different forms. The magic to us 'old skool' kids that experienced Alton from the 90s will differ greatly to those today who still experience the magic in a different form. Although on the whole 'the magic' died along with not only the way the late Tussauds/DIC changed the developments and 'experience' the park offered, but also when the branding of the magic was ditched in an attempt to 'modernise' the theme park into a new era. Which you could say has work, although I believe the magic could have been adapted to suit a modern audience instead of being ditched.

Chris has summed it up well, it's not just about providing one big investment, it's about everything a theme park has to offer and thrives to do. 90s Tussauds had it spot on, make 'the magic' a brand in itself, pump it up as a buzz word for Alton Towers, make the park the UK equivalent to Disneyland. The thing is Alton Towers was THE Disneyland of the UK in the 90s, many people regarded it just as that, yet somehow as the years have moved on this aspiration is no longer wanted. Needless to say all of these things did die out as soon as the magic brand was removed, as after that the park has followed a very generic experience, something that still makes Alton Towers the best in the UK, but nothing like the Disneyland of the UK.

In modern times of Alton Towers 2010 was the closest we have gotten to the magic. I would even go as far as to say if Alton maintained that image from 2010 we would all be here now saying the magic is slowly coming back into the picture. The general buzz around the park, Th13teen, the number of events, Pink concert, the whole resort feeling as one, the best Scarefest since in revival, Fireworks returning... the magic was well and truly bursting to come out. Yet the lack of additions for 2011 (or more specifically, no additions, I hardly count crabs and an outside show 'new'), Merlin Annual Pass gate, Scarefest's worst event and no expansion, this years Enterprise/Submission short closure, opening hours cut, Alton going back on decisions... this has all lead Alton Towers going back a few steps rather than moving forward. You could say these two years are the equivalent to the 'Tussauds dark days'.

I would base down much of the achievements in 2010 due to the senior management in that year. Which may or may not be right. Perhaps the big changes with management affected 2011 incredibly, the rumoured budget cuts have affected events such as Scarefest, and possibly even the ways in which Merlin operate have all been factors that have killed the buzz the park had in 2010. We are well aware there are managers that do care at Alton Towers, 2010 seemed to reflect a management team that could do certain things they wanted, this then created such a great year for Alton and brought back that feeling the park lost in the early 00s. You could argue it's not magic, although I would certainly say 2010 was the modern equivalent.

2012 is Alton's chance to gain back this buzz and feeling 2010 had. This year has not started greatly, with bad decisions being made then changed back to normal again. Although with Sub Terra shaping up to be a fantastic experience and Ice Age 4D said to be very well themed and more just than the filler attraction we were expecting Alton have got a massive chance here to get the '2010 equivalent of magic' back into the limelight.

As for SW7, will this bring back the magic? Well I don't think any of us can safely say yes or no to that answer yet. Based on plans I'm personally not that overly excited by the theme. However we need to give Alton a chance here. Again, 2013 will be a massive opportunity for Alton. They are creating a multi-inversion, well lengthed, well themed ride - something that Alton needs right now. X Sector will feel completely different next year, it will bring a whole new lease of life into the park. Let's hope Alton Towers and Merlin can pull this one off.

Now, let's get back on topic! :P
Charlee

Yes back on topic

Anyone got any ideas on the World First yet?
I used to think I knew a lot about coasters, but then I joined this forum.
SheikhSam

Lap bars please :)
James

Visually there seems to be no obvious world firsts. So everything so far seems to be pointing towards and element inside of the building hosting the world first element. I would also jump out and say the world first might have something to si with the type of trains too. Perhaps a new element never seen on a train before.
SheikhSam

All the 'World's First' gimmicks started to get b@lls after the 'Worlds first Vertical Free-fall Coaster' I mean, come on.. Just go for something already done, but do it better!

Cause that's all that's going to happen again, for once be THE competition instead of the competed..
[/rant]
Charlee

Even if the worlds first element sucks, it wont rely on it like Thirteen does.
I used to think I knew a lot about coasters, but then I joined this forum.
Poison Tom 96

Charlee wrote: Even if the worlds first element sucks, it wont rely on it like Thirteen does.
Thats true. Even if the World first feature is terrible, We have a multi-inversion duelling coaster :D
RyanY

Charlee wrote: Even if the worlds first element sucks, it wont rely on it like Thirteen does.
I don't think it will suck, who knows it could be revolutionary. I doubt it though. It might be a worlds first type of restraint.
Johno

I very much doubt it's something as small as the restraint being the worlds first.

Possibly the worlds first true vertical launch roller coaster.
Poison Tom 96

The world first needs to be marketable to the GP and a type of restraint ain't exactly that marketable is it?
Adam

It all comes down to if they are planning to market this as a worlds first or just a new coaster with a worlds first element. I'm hoping for the latter to be honest :)
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
mrbrightside

It's Merlin... The marketing will focus on three things: the worlds first, the number of inversions and IT DUELS!1!!

The Swarm is marketed as 'Europe's tallest winged rollercoaster' because it has to be the first, or the biggest, or the something or other...

On the subject of the ride not relying on true worlds first therefore it won't spoil the ride, think about if the worlds first ISN'T some gimmick inside the building? What if it is a revolutionary new ride car/train or like someone said, new restraints? Those things COULD significantly take away from the ride experience. Thus ruining a multi inversion coaster...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ImageImage
Krazycoaster

Hopefully there will be a good storyline behind the ride and good effects inside
sibic

the worlds first could be the ride type.  worlds first new model euro fighter