The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
John

Many Intamin, Arrow and Vekoma coasters have an unarticulated, self-supporting front or rear car with  wheels front and back, each car is articulated in the same way, relying on the one in front/behind for support.  B&M coasters have a single set of wheels on each car, with limited flexibility between the front/back two cars. 
RustyRider

Charlee wrote: Hoping to god that the trains aren't Eurofighters, if they are then the GP will just see it as Saw:The Ride 2 :evil:
I see your point, but it would work in Alton towers favour due the sheer size of sw7, a better way of putting it would be to look at it as saw: the ride 2.0 rather than saw the ride 2.

I can just imagine the gp's response on arriving in x-sector next year... "omg look at the size of that, it's like a massive version of saw"!! lets face it, we all know how popular saw is with the gp...
Last edited by RustyRider on Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ladies and Gentlemen, our first SuperHero TTFer :D - Magrathea.
Bote

I doubt very much it'd have a massive impact on the public personally. Sure, someone will no doubt realised they are the same ride model if it uses normal EF shuttles, but at the same time, I don't really see it have an enormous impact on SW7.

Both rides look set to offer a very different experience. Saw seems to focus mainly on it's theme and the drop. SW7 looks more dependant on inversions. Most people would no doubt look at SW7 and want to ride it purely because of the fact it "goes upside down loads". That alone is enough to sell the ride to most of the younger thrill seeking market.

It's like Nemesis Inferno being likened to Nemesis, not only for it's name, but no doubt the fact that it is an invered coaster that looks near enough identical with regards to train style and design. I shouldn't think it has too much affect on people, as both are different rides. If they were close then yes, there may be cause for concern.

But the GP are just like us, in the respect that they all like and look for different things in a ride. Some will ride something just because it inverts a good few times, others will ride something because it's fast or tall, and then there are some who will just ride anything because it's there. Regardless of if it's the same shuttles or not, there will always be plenty of people wanting to ride it, even if it is just once.

That's the way I see it anyway :)
RustyRider

I'm not saying its a bad thing to be likened to saw, like I said it'll work in towers favour, the public wi see the same cars as saw and will no doubt compare the two rides ( if they use ef cars).

Before coming to TTF I always thought coasters were all made by the same people and didnt really care about the ride type, as long as it thrilled me, Alton are definately onto a winner here just for the layout alone.
CoasterCrazyChris

RustyRider wrote: I'm not saying its a bad thing to be likened to saw, like I said it'll work in towers favour, the public wi see the same cars as saw and will no doubt compare the two rides ( if they use ef cars).
It IS a bad thing to be likened to SAW.

Saw is rough and feels cheap, packs virtually no punch at all and is redeemed only by the indoor section and to an extent, the theming.

Clearly SW7 will be better than SAW, but Alton Towers just can't be seen to be following in Thorpe Park's footsteps.

Like I have said before, the key to this ride will be in the track shape and car design...otherwise it really will be just SAW with added inversions! (and that is not a worthy SW).

:)
CogWork

At first I thought this seemed to be a rip-off of Saw (a eurofighter with an indoor section and lots of loops) but the more I think about it, the more I think it looks to be better than Saw, and not just because of the layout!

The coaster section of Saw is built over a large area of grass, with no theme objects anywhere to be seen. SW7 has the huge spider-structure, as well as the interesting themed tunnels.

SW7 is much more compact then Saw, which I think is a good thing, as many of the elements appear to interact with each other. The ride looks like it will provide good 'head-chopper moments' and looks to be longer in length than Saw.

And have we forgotten the promise of a worlds-first element?

Yes, there are some similarities, but I am sure when it opens it will present a new and exciting experience.
Bote

I do think some people are too quick to dispell this ride for it's manufacturer and model. I have never ridden Saw, so cannot say personally, but I hear reviews which say how it is a bit on the rough side. I don't feel that this is cause to write SW7 off as rough though, just because of the track and train design. There is Saw, but at the same time there is Speed (Which gets rave reviews) which is often said to be the opposite of Saw with regards to ride comfort and design.

Every company has the ride they probably want to deny to themselves, be it from comfort, quality, or reliability. I personally think Saw maybe Gersts case of this. I can't imagine Towers would insall one if the whole ride type was flawed. They must have some confidence in them if they are building one :)
Dingerbell

But Speed and Saw have different cars don't they?
If new cars are used, then possibly they will give a much smoother ride.
Bote

I was under the impression they are the same Eurofighter Shuttle just with a different themed shell on them?
Big Dave

Saw is a newer model

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk
Poison Tom 96

Am i the only one who doesn't find SAW rough??
dominoes

I didn't find Saw rough either. Unless it was so rough that I don't remember any it properly...
AdrenalineAlex

SAW is just painful and I don't really find it that enjoyable. Yeah the theming's quite good but SW7 looks miles better.
Ryan.

I don't understand the dislike of Saw on here either, I didn't find it particularly rough, I thought it was just quite intense. Honestly it's one of my favourite rides in the UK, so I have high hopes for SW7  :D
James

I doubt SW7 will be that similar to Saw (in terms of roughness). I predict this will be an updated version of the Eurofighter design and unique to Alton Towers.
RustyRider

I love saw, I think it's an incredible ride. Yeah it can be rough, but who cares?! I don go on a ride to be massaged into a sense of peace and tranquility, I go on them to get my adrenaline kick and to be thrown around against my body's natural will!
AWTSW90

For me, Saws roughness ruins the ride experience. The beginning of Saw is fantastic, if I could ride it and hop off at the lift hill i'd probably do it over and over again. For me it all goes wrong after first drop.
DannyNewbro

This might seem random but when you mentioned Oblivions audio from the top being removed due to it being too loud and we're discussing audio in the seats of SW7 why don't AT spend some money on fitting speakers in the speakers and there could be a huge build up to the drop with the sound of a heartbeat or something and then that 'Don't Look Down' audio when you reach the drop.. imagine how awesome that would be! Sorry I'm posting on the SW7 topic, just thought I'd bring that up since I have never heard anyone mention it
mezza

DannyNewbro wrote: This might seem random but when you mentioned Oblivions audio from the top being removed due to it being too loud and we're discussing audio in the seats of SW7 why don't AT spend some money on fitting speakers in the speakers and there could be a huge build up to the drop with the sound of a heartbeat or something and then that 'Don't Look Down' audio when you reach the drop.. imagine how awesome that would be! Sorry I'm posting on the SW7 topic, just thought I'd bring that up since I have never heard anyone mention it
Allegedly, the issue was not so much the audio itself, but the fact that the audio caused people to scream more, and it was the screaming that was the problem.  Seems a bit dubious, but, that was the reason for the audio being removed.

Anyway... that's a bit off topic....
EXIT THROUGH THE SHIPPING CONTAINER
Rollercoasters4Life

AWTSW90 wrote: For me, Saws roughness ruins the ride experience. The beginning of Saw is fantastic, if I could ride it and hop off at the lift hill i'd probably do it over and over again. For me it all goes wrong after first drop.
I would agree with this. The problem starts on the first drop after the lift hill - just stand and look at peoples head from off the ride once they reach the bottom of the first drop, their heads violently move forward then sharply back.  Normally on rides that are rough you get the side to side head banging on the restraint - on Saw its forward and back against the headrest. I don't normally mind rough rides, but that one gave me a headache straight away, and is the only ride that has done that to me.