The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
Blaze

AstroDan wrote:
dominoes wrote: I am slightly worried this will get what I call Colossus Syndrome. That is where the coaster design only focuses on inversion, and completely ignores turns or airtime. However, with the little airtime hills and the indoor section this may be alright...
Well not many coasters tick all boxes.

You could say that most B&M Hypers ignore turns and inversions, for example - but the public still love them.

:)
It's my only worry about the ride. It's not quite as bad as B&M, but it still seems a bit RCT3-ish in that it's just elements one after the other. Especially as it basically is a combination of inversions seperated by 180 degree turns. It just depends if it has the intensity and wild feeling to it to hide that.
Nightfall

Out of interest I just looked back over the history of the Euro-Fighter. It’s amazing how much the designs changed over time, more so than just about any other ride type.

Typhoon: an early design

Mystery Mine: Notice how compact the elements are

Rage: The first Euro-Fighter to use tri and bi-rail. Most are now predominantly bi-rail
Notice that the supports on this curve match those on the finale curve of SW7.

Fluch von Novgorod added launches

Huracan: 3 by 2 trains
I could be wrong but I think this vertical lift looks allot more like the one on SW7. This suggests that this will either be a 3 by 2 train (poor capacity) or a longer train.

Takabisha: ???!

Based on their past changes I wouldn’t be surprised if they have opted for a new track and possibly train design. It’ll be worth seeing what they build in 2012 in case they try out anything new on any upcoming rides. So far the RCDB only has 1 family ride on their 2012 list.
[align=center]Image[/align]
Johno

Based on capacity worries, what about two eurofighter cars joined together?
Bote

Or could we see what has happened to the B&M Dive Machine since Oblivion? Three rows per shuttle rather than two?
Johno

And of course, the track change could easily be down to heavier trains?
AstroDan

I actually think the way that the Eurofighter has developed to be very impressive.

Gerstlauer, although not my favourite manufacturer by any means, certainly do not rest on their laurels.

A Eurofighter today is nothing like say, the Eurofighter of even 6 years ago.

:)
Johno

The first one just looks like a support overload, mystery mine on that picture looks like a relatively small coaster!

But essentially, I think it just proves how flexible the eurofighter is as a product. It's certainly got a lot of innovation in it.
fredward

Regarding trains: all we know is this one would definitely be stand-up fo' sure :P

Sorry, I had too...
Johno

fredward wrote: Regarding trains: all we know is this one would definitely be stand-up fo' sure :P

Sorry, I had too...
If it turns out to be...
Blaze

Johno wrote: And of course, the track change could easily be down to heavier trains?
Well Intamin did change to box-spine because it's stronger, so I suppose it's a possibility.

I'd be devasted with single cars. Throuput will be poor and I just can't take them as seriously as a 'proper' train. Got to be at least 10 people per train, surely.
Tom G

I love the way people (not here really) are writing off this as not being a Euro-Fighter just because the track and the non-beyond vertical drops. As if a ride type has never evolved or changed! Who gives a toss anyway? It's obviously something new!
Last edited by Tom G on Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DomB

A bit late to the party, but I have to say that the plans for this ride look amazing!
It's definitely what Towers has needed for a while, a 'proper' thrilling roller-coaster, that has inversions, and at least 8 at that!
Obviously it's some form of Euro-fighter, but have to agree with others in that there is definitely some form of change to the track and possibly trains too, seeing as this is going to be an extremely popular ride and so queues (initially) at least are going to be huge, with poor throughput if they use the standard trains.

Anyway, can't wait to see the construction/marketing hype begin! :)
WillPS

Another one late joining the party.

Ride looks excellent but I wouldn't expect that acceptance of this (at least in its present form) is accepted. This is possibly the most daring they've ever formally been.
D-Man

I know this ride will be good if they can get all the points that we don't know of yet right. The type of cars will play a big part in whether this ride will be good or not.

One bug I have about it though is the double lifthill because for some reason I just don't like them. It seems lazy in my opinion, but if it is like that for a reason e.g.Dueling/racing track, then I suppose it isn't as bad. But from what I'm seeing I think this will look good and hopefully be good.

Still hate the fact that it's a Eurofighter though, for some reason I just can't rate them properly compared to other coaster types. I think my hatred of them comes from the look of the cars, the 2row 4across just don't work for me, they look sort of stupid. I like a ride that has a proper train like all the other rides in the park, and I know Oblivion has a 2row 8across but for some reason that car just works with the ride.

I would like to see a proper train like on Fahrenheit or Maverick because they look nice and have a decent throughput. From my experience on Saw the cars there are terrible for Qing times and really annoy me. I don't think a normal Eurofighter would suit Alton Towers, they seem bigger and more imaginative than that to me.
Alba gu brath! Scotland Forever!
CF1

I dont think the  Ride will get 2 Lifthill. I can imagine that the vertical one is a Tower launch ore a launch bevor the Tower like on Anubis in Plopsaland.
Benzin

Hmmmmm would love a rolling launch, need more of them in the world...

Also ideal for this would be an indoor vertical drop and launch... Like Fluch... Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh <3

[/dream]
Longy

A target determination date has been set for 14th February 2012.
I guess we'll have to wait until then to see whether SW7 will be approved, and then discussion will really hot up, if it wasn't already.
muttlee

Longy wrote: A target determination date has been set for 14th February 2012.
I guess we'll have to wait until then to see whether SW7 will be approved, and then discussion will really hot up, if it wasn't already.
Ah, Feb 14th... maybe it'll be the first "Tunnel of Love" themed coaster at Towers! ;)
Last edited by muttlee on Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAMMYD777

A little sneak peak at my revised and more accurate No Limits Recreation, with my first custom scenery.  :shock:

The ride does pass the clearance test by the way  :lol: The fish eye camera of No Limits makes it seem too close.

JAMMYD778
Last edited by JAMMYD777 on Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SW7:
Trixz

Is it possible to have trains on this style of coaster. It could explain why gerstlauer have implemented a more heavy duty track style for this coaster
WE ARE ALL WITNESSESS