The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
Sam198

I can't believe that the potential theme/back story seems to be getting me more exited than the ride itself at the moment. :P 1984 is one of my favourite books of all time, so naturally i have become drawn to what towers have revealed so far. If they can pull it off then it could rival, or even prove itself to be better than nemesis and oblivion from a thematic perspective :) it's a shame that such an elaborate back story will be as good as wasted on 50% of park guests nowadays... :roll:
SpecyBeast

Using one of TowersTimes brilliant Ariel Photo's and drawing over the plans i did this using Photoshop
Red=Planned Station
Black=Planned Track
Yellow=Planned Supports
Blue=Current footers

As you can see everything seems to line up nicely, just a few supports that can be easily changed, the station also is in the tree's but that may be down to the angle of the photo.

Here is the plan if you wish to compare my accuracy

Last edited by SpecyBeast on Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pleaseeee Populate my forum for Media Studies

http://thrillmakersofficialfans.net84.net

Boz

not quite ;)
the station building is a lot larger than you've made it out to be, and the coaster has been squished up to one end.
I'm going to do one myself tomorrow to illustrate the current state of the site.
SpecyBeast

Boz wrote: not quite ;)
the station building is a lot larger than you've made it out to be, and the coaster has been squished up to one end.
I'm going to do one myself tomorrow to illustrate the current state of the site.
Nice to get feedback from the proffesional and can't wait to see it ;)

LPAJ13

I done one last night but not sure how to upload it. Have managed to line up already placed features (land, building and structures) and it is surprising how close it matches in all ways.
Its not what ya take out that works, its what you put in that makes it work
SpecyBeast

lead piping wrote: I done one last night but not sure how to upload it. Have managed to line up already placed features (land, building and structures) and it is surprising how close it matches in all ways.
Upload it on Facebook and then copy and paste the U.R.L of the uploaded image, if you need any more help inbox me

Rollercoasters4Life

lead piping wrote: I done one last night but not sure how to upload it. Have managed to line up already placed features (land, building and structures) and it is surprising how close it matches in all ways.
Sign up to photobucket then upload the picture and then copy the img tag onto here. That's if you don't want to use Facebook like the suggested method above. If you use photobucket you can keep all your uploads together.
LPAJ13

Lining everything up to current structures, buildings and landscaping, this is what I came up with last night.

Its not what ya take out that works, its what you put in that makes it work
MattsDesigns

Are you guys noticing the face there?
I hope so.

I think thats very cool indeed if the theme is some horrible therapy supposed to make you smile and the track mirrors that in track-context  :D
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
Fishfingerish

Guys, think. Alton may take themes from 1984, but they won't completely re-do the X-sector and call it 'Miniluv' etc. I mean, they may do things based on it but, hey.  Besides, I don't think they will have time to do a complete re-theme of the entire area looking at the size of this thing and all the theming elements. I think the whole brainwashing thing fits perfectly with the Oblivion theme anyway, I mean, look at the first thing the queue line video says:

Welcome, you have been designated for 'Oblivion'. The decision to come here was not your own, it was ours, the thought was implanted in your head by autosuggestion.

Its all there!
Towers Times' resident Muser

Oh yes! Please check out my YouTube channel if it's not too painful:
www.youtube.com/user/hpvideosofficial
Sam198

i think i can safely say that the vast majority of people on here (including myself) would hate to see much of a deviation from x-sector's original theme... it's already one of the most interesting/immersive themed areas at the park, and has bags of potential on top of that :)

on reflection i probably should have worded my previous post slightly differently...
but i am in no doubt that SW7's theme is very strongly influenced by, if not entirely based on the book
by that i wasn't implying that the ride should be physically themed around nineteen eighty four, just that it should (and evidently already does) share key themes with the novel.

while we (hopefully) should see an improvement/refurbishment of x-sector along with SW7, i highly doubt we will see any more than a slight alteration of oblivion's theme in order to incorperate the two rides existence together within the general setting that is x-sector. however even this is unlikely, as it would only require further effort on merlin's behalf :P it's far more likely that they would ensure that the new ride fits in with oblivion somehow.

welcome to the forums by the way Fishfingerish :D
Last edited by Sam198 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marcus

MattsDesigns wrote: Are you guys noticing the face there?
I hope so.

I think thats very cool indeed if the theme is some horrible therapy supposed to make you smile and the track mirrors that in track-context  :D
OMG thats awesome, never noticed that.
Fishfingerish

Thanks, I think it would be really cool if it was all 'brainwashing'. Maybe they could paint the logo onto the top of the (forgive me) refreshments stand in front of oblivion. So when you drop ther is 'The Smiler' staring up at you.

Oh, and please, the names Fishfinger, Mr Fishfinger.
Towers Times' resident Muser

Oh yes! Please check out my YouTube channel if it's not too painful:
www.youtube.com/user/hpvideosofficial
Sam198

hmm that's quite a nice idea, someone better with photoshop than me might be able to see what that looks like for you... it's little touches like this that might just make or break the ride for many people (well, us enthusiasts anyway :) )

this really should belong in the area discussion though :P

EDIT: i can't see the face :oops: can someone point it out to me please?
Last edited by Sam198 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JayTricky

I know we are all enthusiasts, but you guys are seriously looking to far into it all....

Any face you may think you see is just coincidence as that's how that element appears.
Sam198

I agree that any face people think they see is purely coincidental, we as humans are bound to see faces in everything... It's in our nature :P but I'm still confused as to where it is supposedly hidden :)
JayTricky

Sam198 wrote: I agree that any face people think they see is purely coincidental, we as humans are bound to see faces in everything... It's in our nature :P but I'm still confused as to where it is supposedly hidden :)
It's suppose to be hidden?

I suppose we have hidden mickeys at disney, we now have hidden "smilers" at AT.  Would make a good interactive app...
DavidA

Are you guys noticing the face there?I hope so.I think thats very cool indeed if the theme is some horrible therapy supposed to make you smile and the track mirrors that in track-context 

i see the face but not sure it has much to do with the ride even if it has got a lot lot todo with the main elements !!!!!
scw55

I can't see the face.
But what I can see is that the Logo resembles the cobra roll.
Sam198

JayTricky wrote:
Sam198 wrote: I agree that any face people think they see is purely coincidental, we as humans are bound to see faces in everything... It's in our nature :P but I'm still confused as to where it is supposedly hidden :)
It's suppose to be hidden?

I suppose we have hidden mickeys at disney, we now have hidden "smilers" at AT.  Would make a good interactive app...
i don't think so, as you and i have both said previously, the supposed face in the plans was not intentional and is just a product of our over reactive enthusiast minds :P but hidden smilers around a newly refurbished x-sector would be a nice touch... it would really add to the subliminal messaging/hypnotic theme of SW7 for me