The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
NastyPasty

I'm sure Th13teen has SW6 engraved at the bottom of the crypt.

Didn't Mr. Wardley show it in the tour he gave? Maybe I'm getting confused. It'd be nice to see something on SW7 though.
Keep on whistlin', folks.

Benjy Alton Towers Kid

Longy wrote:
Nemesis wasn't a world's first. ;)
No. Nemmy was a Europe's first because our friends, The Americans at Six Flags, are coaster mad!!!

I just hope that SW7 doesn't become a more intense version of SAW The ride (being made by the same company) and we have two coasters with mental vertical drops!
Last edited by Benjy Alton Towers Kid on Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Theme Parks are my way of life.

Benjy Alton Towers Kid :)
Keep smiling!!! :)
SpinballEdders

Benjy Alton Towers Kid wrote:
Longy wrote:
Nemesis wasn't a world's first. ;)
No. Nemmy was a Europe's first because our friends, The Americans at Six Flags, are coaster mad!!!

I just hope that SW7 doesn't become a more intense version of SAW The ride (being made by the same company) and we have two coasters with mental vertical drops!
1. Nemmy was gonna be a world's first, but the design was changed when Wardley rode Batman at Great America

2. It has no vertical drops, But it would probably be a more intense version of Saw due to its layout.
Benjy Alton Towers Kid

Thank God! :) That's the problem with being a teen. I can't be bother to look at the ride diagrams and plans!

JaykeAT

Benjy Alton Towers Kid wrote: Thank God! :) That's the problem with being a teen. I can't be bother to look at the ride diagrams and plans!
u callin me lazy bro?

in seriousness after seeing some pictures I'm getting really exited,This is my first big devolpment as an enthusiast and second as just a visiter but this is definetly the better of the two. This will hopefully be the best ride/ experience since the days of nemmy and blivvy
Benjy Alton Towers Kid

Having entered TH13TEEN's development late (the reason why I fell in love with theme parks!) and having only joined TowersTimes in March, SW7 is my first big development (with the site) as well!  :D And I can't wait!

Dormiens-Dave

SpinballEdders wrote:
1. Nemmy was gonna be a world's first, but the design was changed when Wardley rode Batman at Great America
I'm assuming you mean SW1 and SW2, the theme and name Nemesis where only ever associated with the B&M Invert.
SpinballEdders

Dormiens-Dave wrote:
SpinballEdders wrote:
I'm assuming you mean SW1 and SW2, the theme and name Nemesis where only ever associated with the B&M Invert.
Yes I meant SW1 and SW2.
RyanY

If you want to learn more about the development of Nemesis then go to towers almanic and listen to nemesis X. Which correct me if I'm wrong, was the speech done by john Wardley on Nemesis' 10th anniversary.

Anyways back on topic. I think that the chrome effect on the poster could hint at a more modern theme than the station textures might suggest. And them textures are just for the sake of not having to maintain it as much and to make it look like its been there a long time for experimenting.
adsyrah

Someone brought it up a few pages back and I'm going to beat the vertical launch drum again.

During the market research for Thirteen, the image below was shown to guests.

I really think SW7 will be launched up the vertical section of track to give us our world first. The fact the image below alludes to that backs up that theory even more. It's such a simple concept and fits so well next to Oblivion.

Dormiens-Dave

No idea if that image was shown to market research groups, it was a concept board that we found in the archives in November along with pictures of the existing vertical launch rollercoaster.

Im not altogether sure the track layout on those plans is what we will get as the track doesnt require planning permission.
adsyrah

Dormiens-Dave wrote: No idea if that image was shown to market research groups, it was a concept board that we found in the archives in November along with pictures of the existing vertical launch rollercoaster.

Im not altogether sure the track layout on those plans is what we will get as the track doesnt require planning permission.
I remember this picture during the speculation surrounding Thirteen because people pointed out is appeared to be a "backwards Oblivion". This was definitely part of the market research at the time.
Jiminy Cricket

Think i would prefer the launch to be on the straight part, wouldn't it be faster to launched into the vertical then to be launched when on it?
Satch

Vertical launch. *yawn*

If there is a worlds first, then I expect it to be in the station where we can't see it. But if that's the case, then it's likely to be a gimmick, which I worry will detract from a solid decent coaster, which they are desperate for.

What's happened to the worlds first additions being the innovative coaster design? Instead, we just seem to get an element tacked on somewhere.
Dormiens-Dave

I dont mind gymmicks so long as their attatched to a good solid coaster and are utilised well.

Thirteen failed because it has a dire coaster attached and no special effects in the crypt. If the coaster section was good and some decent SFX utilised people would have had a much better oppinion of the ride even if the drop was the same.

This looks like a solid coaster so i think any gymmick would enhance rather than detract from the ride.
adsyrah

Satch wrote: Vertical launch. *yawn*

If there is a worlds first, then I expect it to be in the station where we can't see it. But if that's the case, then it's likely to be a gimmick, which I worry will detract from a solid decent coaster, which they are desperate for.

What's happened to the worlds first additions being the innovative coaster design? Instead, we just seem to get an element tacked on somewhere.
There's not really much else for designers to innovate, though. All riders' seating positions have been covered which have had mixed results - stand up, sitting down, flying - I guess laying on your back hasn't been done, but that would just be rubbish! A vertical drop has been done which led to "more-than-vertical" (which to me is just a glorified inversion), inversions were conquered years ago as have launched coasters.

SW7 is innovative.

Have you seen a cobra roll and batwing intertwined before? No
Has there been a self-duelling mobius coaster before? No

The layout of the coaster is promising without AT even considering adding a world first element. Thirteen has been criticised for having a world first element with a boring coaster to back it up. It looks like SW7 will have a good coaster along with a world first element.

It seems obvious to me that, with the vertical track on the plans not leading to a more-than-vertical drop, we're looking at the world's first "true" vertical launch coaster built next to the world's first vertical drop coaster. That's just my opinion obviously, but the tie-in with Oblivion's innovation makes it a no-brainer for me.

The station just seems too cramped for anything more than a quick turn around along with maybe a roll of some kind.
Dormiens-Dave

I wouldn't say the vertical launch is likely because there is no beyond vertical drop. I reckon there is no beyond vertical as they didnt want to detract from the visual impact of Oblivion.

Anyway as i said i wouldn't hold your breath on the layout being what we see on those plans.
adsyrah

Dormiens-Dave wrote: Anyway as i said i wouldn't hold your breath on the layout being what we see on those plans.
Do you know something we don't, Dave?!

:?

EDIT:

And if it's not the same, I feel dead sorry for Nemmy who spent so long recreating the plans in No Limits!
Last edited by adsyrah on Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dormiens-Dave

Nope but the plans where designed on NoLimits which is hardly a professional tool and the actual rollercoaster fits in the GDO so doesnt need planning permission... only the station building does.

Im just suspicious
Satch

adsyrah wrote:
Satch wrote: Vertical launch. *yawn*

There's not really much else for designers to innovate, though. All riders' seating positions have been covered which have had mixed results - stand up, sitting down, flying - I guess laying on your back hasn't been done, but that would just be rubbish! A vertical drop has been done which led to "more-than-vertical" (which to me is just a glorified inversion), inversions were conquered years ago as have launched coasters.

SW7 is innovative.

Have you seen a cobra roll and batwing intertwined before? No
Has there been a self-duelling mobius coaster before? No
That's not innovation, that's just creative engineering, utilising what space is available. As for the seating positions, before Wingriders, it was thought that there wasnt anything more that could be done. There is always room for something more in design

As long as, as you say Dave, the gimmick doesn't compromise the ride experience, then I will be happy