The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
adsyrah

There's absolutely no problem with them using SW7 in the marketing! The general public will either ignore it, or will Google it.

I once told one of my mates about the "SW" tagline and he ended up doing loads of research and found things like the SW4 Easter Egg in the Oblivion queueline dead interesting. Maybe now there are 4 SW rides in the park AT have decided to start piqueing the public's interest by being more vocal about Secret Weapon coaster.

Plus everyone knows word of mouth is one of the best marketing tools there is, so exciting enthusiasts will give them a head start. Facebook will be a major platform for SW7 like it was for The Swarm - getting people to like and share developer diaries on social networking sites is marketing gold dust.
Nightfall

adsyrah wrote: I once told one of my mates about the "SW" tagline and he ended up doing loads of research and found things like the SW4 Easter Egg in the Oblivion queue line dead interesting. Maybe now there are 4 SW rides in the park AT have decided to start queuing the public's interest by being more vocal about Secret Weapon coaster.
This is why I think using SW7 on the early posters is a good move. It gives guests a hint at what's to come and if they're really interested they’ll want to know more. As soon as they have the chance to search it they'll uncover loads of information on sites like this, just like your mate did.

However this is also why SW7 won't make a good actual name. Once the ride is built you want something that is immediately relatable to any guests.
[align=center]Image[/align]
Mi-Nigle

I kind of hope the DNA on the poster is Alton's lazy version of coaster track. I'm not so keen on some odd DNA research project gone wrong or w/e. Forbidden valley is the place for biological anomalies, something I think would be out of place in X-Sector.
JaykeAT

I would like the name to be "the web"
thatboyfromthewoods

And we still have to wait 1 year to see the final product! Amazing what one banner can do!
scubahood

swfcjambo wrote: two brief points -

1) The Swarm was originally called "LC12" - I believe on fences and even down to the early website. Therefore it's entirely likely that AT will continue with the name SW7, until shortly before opening, when the "real" marketing kicks in.

2) SW7 - The worlds first CHROME rollercoaster???
It was never called LC12. LC12 was the code name stands for Large Coaster 2012
Coaster_Dude

scubahood wrote:

1) The Swarm was originally called "LC12" - I believe on fences and even down to the early website. Therefore it's entirely likely that AT will continue with the name SW7, until shortly before opening, when the "real" marketing kicks in.

I think the point swfcjambo was making was that The Swarm was publically referred to as its code name before the actual name was announced, in the same sense that SW7 is being referred to by its code name to the public at the moment. (And actually, the LC in LC12 stood for 'Long Count', as in the Mayan Long Count calandar that supposedly predicts the end of the world in 2012).
scubahood

Can someone help me with this. I have a question so obviously Alton Towers go to a manufacturer and say we want say a Eurofighter for instance. So after this does someone from Alton Towers design the ride or does the manufacturer say here are some designs? Once the design is approved and construction starts who actually builds the ride? Do the manufacturer send people to build it or do Alton Towers have a team?
scubahood

Aren't they referring to 2015's project as LC15 or is that just fan sites? (Ignore don't know where I got that from)
Last edited by scubahood on Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smudge.

I think the 'SW7' marketing is a good idea, as it encourages the public to delve into it (Google) meaning they will find out about oblivion being SW4 and therefore get excited about SW7. Something BIG!

I think people underestimate the public a bit - I mean people will get talking, for example, a school classroom, college or whatever:

'did you see that sign at alton towers and a new ride?'

'yeah i hope it is wicked, so you know what is said?'

'something about SW7'

'What does that mean?'

'I dunno lets Google it'

'oh wow, it turns out oblivion.......'

you see my point? Not knowing is intriguing - like the terry advert for example, gives nothing away, or why horror films are more scary before you see the 'ghost' or whatever it is.
manual_operator

You'd have to imagine what Thorpe did for The Swarm in regards to marketing and social media aspects, Towers will do for SW7 only I'd expect Towers to want to go 1 step further!

IMO, we will definately be getting actors around X-Sector for the summer holidays to get the buzz factor....and personally I'd like to see some 'men in black' i.e. suits/shades/etc...come to think of it, shame it couldn't be a MIB IP lol
bradpeet

scubahood wrote:

There is a 'stone' above the new toilet block next to The Swarm that carries the inscription LCXII - presumably a nod towards the code name, just like some of the coasters at Alton Towers carry their SW designation.  (I forget which ones  :oops:)
haydn!

scubahood wrote: Can someone help me with this. I have a question so obviously Alton Towers go to a manufacturer and say we want say a Eurofighter for instance. So after this does someone from Alton Towers design the ride or does the manufacturer say here are some designs? Once the design is approved and construction starts who actually builds the ride? Do the manufacturer send people to build it or do Alton Towers have a team?
Unless the park have a specific type of coaster in mind, they most likely approach several manufactures with a project brief. Giving them the location, restrictions, budget, intended target market and ask them each to come back with a proposal. From those proposals the park would choose who to go with. That said, Alton Towers have been known to be quite hands on with manufactures in the past developing attractions that maximise Alton Towers unique environment.

The actual ride would be built on site either by the manufacturer or a third party contracted by the manufacturer. Other ground work, theming installation etc would be carried out by the park and their partners such as Merlin Studios etc.

There are however cases where the manufacture may be pre-chosen, for example Merlin are rumoured to have multi-ride deals with B&M and Gerstlauer, so for this Alton Towers may have gone straight to them.
Last edited by haydn! on Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jb19852

loving the posters and mini site, cant help but thinking that the track pictured could somehow relate to the worlds 1st feature but struggling to think how
adsyrah

bradpeet wrote: There is a 'stone' above the new toilet block next to The Swarm that carries the inscription LCXII - presumably a nod towards the code name, just like some of the coasters at Alton Towers carry their SW designation.  (I forget which ones  :oops:)
Off the top of my head, the land rover by Nemesis has SW3 in the number plate and there's SW4 in the concrete structure in the middle of the Oblivion queue.

Not sure if there's been anything spotted on Air or Thirteen...
CoasterCrazyChris

adsyrah wrote: Nemesis has SW3 in the number plate
Apparently this is untrue.
adsyrah wrote: SW4 in the concrete structure in the middle of the Oblivion queue.
Stripped off several years ago.

:(
adsyrah

CoasterCrazyChris wrote:
adsyrah wrote: Nemesis has SW3 in the number plate
Apparently this is untrue.
adsyrah wrote: SW4 in the concrete structure in the middle of the Oblivion queue.
Stripped off several years ago.

:(
Are you sure about Oblivion?

It's not a sign, it's actually letters that were moulded into the concrete structure.

edit:

changed the picure, you can see SW4 on both structures here

Last edited by adsyrah on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roodlesnouter

bradpeet wrote:
scubahood wrote:

There is a 'stone' above the new toilet block next to The Swarm that carries the inscription LCXII - presumably a nod towards the code name, just like some of the coasters at Alton Towers carry their SW designation.  (I forget which ones  :oops:)
I was intrigued by this last bit, does anyone Know any more Info? would love to check it out on park tomorrow
http://pixelsattheparks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blaze

I'm sure the Nemesis bus had SW3 as a route number, if not now then at some point. Oblivion has it on the station and some supports. Air apparently used to have it in the tunnel, for a brief time. Thirteen doesn't seem to have been tagged at all.
Nightfall

Blaze wrote: Air apparently used to have it in the tunnel, for a brief time.
Themeing, inside Air's tunnel, LOL  :lol:
Blaze wrote: I'm sure the Nemesis bus had SW3 as a route number, if not now then at some point.
I'm not sure about this. I know it's not on the number plate. A member took a picture a few years back and proved it wasn't. But I suppose it could be on one of the internal details. As far as I'm aware SW4 and SW7 are the only SW references on the park.
[align=center]Image[/align]