The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
Hitch

And that is what I would call an awesome feature, not a stupid washing machine.
Andzdrew

In the tunnel, imagine if they didn't use an illusion, but actually made it look like outside! (with this projection technology) And then made it spin loads, and left it so you were still upside down, so you didn't believe the outside was really outside when you get to the lifthill
temleh

Not wanting to break up any discussion but…

ALTON TOWERS REVEAL ONE OF THE SMILER'S SECRET WORLD FIRSTS!!

https://secure.altontowers.com/webapp/w ... tId=121123
Follow me on Instagram! @v05mattclay
youarecorrectsir

Stern John wrote:
Adz wrote: Earlier today TowersTimes captured a video of The Marmaliser testing out its video screen. Take a look on our minisite dedicated to The Smiler.

http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/sw7/video/
One of the panels is still broken on that video, does nothing for my OCD!
You mean CDO... Now it is in alphabetical order.  :D
[align=center]"Everybody dies, but not everybody lives"[/align]
arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le?

temleh wrote: Not wanting to break up any discussion but…

ALTON TOWERS REVEAL ONE OF THE SMILER'S SECRET WORLD FIRSTS!!

https://secure.altontowers.com/webapp/w ... tId=121123
You got me excited as well  :evil: haha  ;)
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis

But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
‘Cause I'm Mr. Brightside
nick67862

Why is there a walkway and some sort of braking device on the airtime hill that goes through the Inoculator and the Hypnotiser legs?
Jart

This ride is utterly insane.

Washing machine track pieces, live-streaming POV's, projection video mapping, it just gets crazier and crazier. They're all still rumors and speculation, understandably, but they all seem plausible (in my opinion, at least).
Kirsty25

Live streaming POV's is only fractionally different to the delayed cam feed on Swarm... so not beyond the realms of possibility surely?
icecream88

After browsing the construction topic people have been mentioning Video/image mapping onto buildings.
Putting the glass floor and this 'mapping' idea together, could we possibly see a 3d mapping onto the track that is below the glass floor, giving the illusion that something happens to the track/trains... this would of course be implemented along with the flasher in the inside tunnel.
Morgano

Kirsty25 wrote: Live streaming POV's is only fractionally different to the delayed cam feed on Swarm... so not beyond the realms of possibility surely?
Yes but do alton want chavs swearing on a 10ft tall 360 degree tv screen viewable from all of xsector? No.
ManiaMuse

nick67862 wrote: Why is there a walkway and some sort of braking device on the airtime hill that goes through the Inoculator and the Hypnotiser legs?
Just a trim brake I think. Sensors just before that point on the track decide if the train is going faster than its intended design speed and brakes apply as necessary.

Walkway is just to make it easier to access the trim brake in case they need to do maintenance on it.
Andzdrew

Morgano wrote:
Kirsty25 wrote: Live streaming POV's is only fractionally different to the delayed cam feed on Swarm... so not beyond the realms of possibility surely?
Yes but do alton want chavs swearing on a 10ft tall 360 degree tv screen viewable from all of xsector? No.
Think facial recognition, it only takes a photo of a smiling face... Hell even my smartphone has this technology... Any fingers or funny faces wouldn't be recognized.
icecream88 wrote: After browsing the construction topic people have been mentioning Video/image mapping onto buildings.
Putting the glass floor and this 'mapping' idea together, could we possibly see a 3d mapping onto the track that is below the glass floor, giving the illusion that something happens to the track/trains... this would of course be implemented along with the flasher in the inside tunnel.
I agree completely, the more the public expects a ridiculous amount of inversions in that section, the more they will believe it as they ride
JMR

andzdrew wrote:
Morgano wrote:
Think facial recognition, it only takes a photo of a smiling face... Hell even my smartphone has this technology... Any fingers or funny faces wouldn't be recognized.
icecream88 wrote: After browsing the construction topic people have been mentioning Video/image mapping onto buildings.
I agree completely, the more the public expects a ridiculous amount of inversions in that section, the more they will believe it as they ride
Very well explained. Just think, they could manipulate your face, remember the app Fat Booth?  Etc,.
Last edited by JMR on Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SonicChips

Meh........

It might be the dim lighting of the room I'm sat in but after this I looked at my sofa and it kinda wobbled. (Although the effects didn't last last and I'm sure some people will be immune to the effects.)

Post Script - perhaps this is not the correct thread for this but as I said: "Meh"
Phild94

I know we've been going.... Round and round ;)..... About the disorientater..... I have had an idea which has been bugging me throughout the 18 pages of construction and further 5 of speculation.....

Could the disorientater not just be a name for the train..... I mean step into the disorientater and strap yourself in.... Prepare for correction.... That sort of thing :) just an idea haha

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
Gizmo

Phild94 wrote: I know we've been going.... Round and round ;)..... About the disorientater..... I have had an idea which has been bugging me throughout the 18 pages of construction and further 5 of speculation.....

Could the disorientater not just be a name for the train..... I mean step into the disorientater and strap yourself in.... Prepare for correction.... That sort of thing :) just an idea haha
Oooh I like this idea... although after so much hype it might be a little disappointing if that's the case :'(
AppleSprode

This video shows the potential for projected video mapping on a ride: http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=kEApcS_kVqM
Brazilian13Guy

Wondering many types of illusion that can be applied on Smiler, i have no idea how amazing it will be if really happen
Aidan Lowe

[Edit] It seems wagger20 already posted this video a while back it seems, but I've added a time where the cool part comes in anyway.

This is probably the better example of 3d projection mapping for The Smiler, given it's a small enclosed room rather than a full structure, these are some things that can be accomplished. Imagine the sofa the guy is sitting on is the ride's train:

Last edited by Aidan Lowe on Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Brazilian13Guy

Exactly, just imagine the train is on a immersive atmosphere and it looks like there's no track and the train are falling in a endless hole
Last edited by Brazilian13Guy on Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.