The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
TomL

Coasterfan312 wrote:
RobJackson85 wrote:
The Terminator wrote: He might not of being telling the truth you know ;)

It's possible but I wouldn't say certain, there is no channel dug out for the vertical lift yet and that's a pretty big bit of excavation still to do if you ask me.
They are leaving it very late to complete it which leads me to question whether or not it will actually be there.
I'm never wrong!  :D

Look at the track on the far right on the pictures, that's the top of the first "hill" it's certainly not horizontal like you would expect on a standard hill.
And the other one is the same.
You are wrong though.

From the game screens it's confirmed to have inverted drops. WE WILL NOT HAVE INVERTED LIFTS!
Exactly, (accidentally quoted the wrong person before) have you thought about how uncomfortable an upsidedown lift would be? Do you think AT would want guests to be that uncomfortable and dislike the ride? No.
They seemed to think so with submission!
mattiepearce

I found these plans on the straffordshire council website
http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov ... &module=P3
It was on the associated documents tab.
RollerCoasterTycoon2013

Nah, it's not an inverted lift hill, just a vertical lift hill. Even if it was an inverted lift hill (which it isn't), it wouldn't be a world first because Maurer-Sohne takes that record with their Xtended coasters
Owen

RollerCoasterTycoon2013 wrote: Nah, it's not an inverted lift hill, just a vertical lift hill. Even if it was an inverted lift hill (which it isn't), it wouldn't be a world first because Maurer-Sohne takes that record with their Xtended coasters
Eg.G-force draton manor
clayj

- From full post below....
clayj wrote: Image
The barrel would work better if barrel/tube span the other way around (anti Clockwise) as would give the effect of rotating too the right.
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
The Terminator

I posted an opinion which by definition can't be wrong, so I'm not. (End of right or wrong discussion)

The idea of an inverted lift is not a new one its has been done before but not with a launch I believe.
Basically the launch is up a standard hill that then inverts as it reaches near the top, this could match the current track that is in place, but equally it could just be a standard lift, however this is unlikely for the following reasons.
Firstly there are no footers in the bottom of the channel to support a standard chain lift, second it would be a bit boring after the initial barrel roll, secret element and then a boring chain hill, unlikely.
Thirdly chain hills are noisy so having two on one ride right next to Mr Ropers house is again asking for trouble.
Also do a YouTube search for Tabaskia (not sure of the spelling) on ride footage, this is a comparable ride in terms of manufacturer and design ie two lift hills, and as you will see the first one is a launch.
Ok Tabaskia is a Eurofighter and we know Smiler isn't but its still comparable.
I WILL be back
clayj

The Terminator wrote: Also do a YouTube search for Tabaskia (not sure of the spelling) on ride footage, this is a comparable ride in terms of manufacturer and design ie two lift hills, and as you will see the first one is a launch.
http://rcdb.com/9795.htm?p=0

It's Takabish which is Japanese for Dominant.
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
JaykeAT

Sorry if it has been mentioned before but in the smiler game advert there are two thing I have noticed.
1) When you are choosing the inversion elements there is a top secret section,could that be where the secret element will be after it opens?

2)When the car is going inside,the flame button is pressed which made it go quicker,could that be a hint of a launch?
Owen

JaykeAT wrote: Sorry if it has been mentioned before but in the smiler game advert there are two thing I have noticed.
1) When you are choosing the inversion elements there is a top secret section,could that be where the secret element will be after it opens?

2)When the car is going inside,the flame button is pressed which made it go quicker,could that be a hint of a launch?
I noticed this too,hints are getting stronger...
clayj

thillmad wrote:
JaykeAT wrote: Sorry if it has been mentioned before but in the smiler game advert there are two thing I have noticed.

But it seems to launch into the break run
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
JaykeAT

clayj wrote:
thillmad wrote:

But it seems to launch into the break run
Depends what goes on inside...
arsenalfan-1

The Terminator wrote: I posted an opinion which by definition can't be wrong, so I'm not. (End of right or wrong discussion)

The idea of an inverted lift is not a new one its has been done before but not with a launch I believe.
Basically the launch is up a standard hill that then inverts as it reaches near the top, this could match the current track that is in place, but equally it could just be a standard lift, however this is unlikely for the following reasons.
Firstly there are no footers in the bottom of the channel to support a standard chain lift, second it would be a bit boring after the initial barrel roll, secret element and then a boring chain hill, unlikely.
Thirdly chain hills are noisy so having two on one ride right next to Mr Ropers house is again asking for trouble.
Also do a YouTube search for Tabaskia (not sure of the spelling) on ride footage, this is a comparable ride in terms of manufacturer and design ie two lift hills, and as you will see the first one is a launch.
Just to let you know the correct spelling is Takabisha. Also I thought Hulk has a launch into inverted drop.
Thanks Lewis97
The Terminator

Thanks for the spelling correction, like I said I wasn't sure. :oops:

I don't think this will be the worlds first, that will be under the maintenance shed in my opinion, but it would make for a more exciting start than a boring old chain lift.

Even if it doesn't invert I'm 90% sure the first hill will be a launch as all the evidence points towards it.
I WILL be back
RubyGaga

clayj wrote: - From full post below....
The barrel would work better if barrel/tube span the other way around (anti Clockwise) as would give the effect of rotating too the right.
Now if this barrel is to be confirmed, i would be a little disappointed as we have all seen this kind of illusion on other rides. However, if this barrel is definatley going to be in place, i can be sure that alton towers add an element of something different to it. For example, like on space mountain in Magic kingdom, Florida, there is a mirror at the end of the first tunnel, which creates some sort of illusion to make the rider think the tunnel is longer than it actually is.
I really hope that its true that the designers have stretched the boundaries for this ride. Im speculating alot of illusions, as Wardley said, there will be 5(i think) elements that test your mind. My uncreative mind cant think of what these will be, apart from videos etc.

Image ImageImageImage
mattallennet

Whatever happens, I really hope it either lives up to the hype or completely blows out minds with something completely unexpected.

I would be so excited if the station end of the ride (already built) suddenly had a roof / ground level walkway put on it so that part of the ride was buried - with oblivion style holes where the track appears and disappears! Shame that's not likely to happen though...
clayj

RubyGaga wrote: Now if this barrel is to be confirmed, i would be a little disappointed as we have all seen this kind of illusion on other rides. However, if this barrel is definatley going to be in place, i can be sure that alton towers add an element of something different to it. For example, like on space mountain in Magic kingdom, Florida, there is a mirror at the end of the first tunnel, which creates some sort of illusion to make the rider think the tunnel is longer than it actually is.
I really hope that its true that the designers have stretched the boundaries for this ride. Im speculating alot of illusions, as Wardley said, there will be 5(i think) elements that test your mind. My uncreative mind cant think of what these will be, apart from videos etc.
Full explanation is in origional post earlier, but heres a snippet of how I think it would go...
clayj wrote: The train stops[/u] under maintenance shed section.  The exit hole will be covered by a “moving screen” which is mechanically lowered down covering the first hill & continues to leave the space in the darkness.  This section of track in the tube could be one of two things;

A/. Washing machine effect - doesn't need explaining as has been exhausted on here. Personally, I think this would be too much with the (potential) 15 true inversions outside, too much of a unnecessary technical challenge & has kinda already been done with 13 but on a different axis. For that reason I prefer the simpler option B

B/. Spinning vortex tunnel - the track is stationary inside a barrel which in turn rotates around the track. Basically, the train would enter the tubed section (in darkness) and slow to a stop at the far end. Presented to the riders on the lowered “moving screen” would be the smiler logo (increasing in size). The car is slowly sent backwards along the tube, at which point the tube would start to rotate and illuminate with the smiler’s yellow & white spirals along the sides of the tube. Once the train has reached the back of the tube, everything crackles as if there is a technical fail. Everything goes off and plunged into darkness (again), at which point, the “moving screen” would be removed...

5/.The train would be launched through the tube and up the first hill giving just enough airtime at the top before entering the outside track, mind blowing inversions & Spider themeing.
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
RCT3Bross

I think you're right with this here. Exept on two points.
The barrel roll by the brakes: Let it go it will not happen. There has not even one indication that there is a barre roll, even the game sneak peak shows a turn and then brakes towards the station. ;)
My guess will be that 5 is just a normal chain hill. As the game sneak peak showed a dueling effect one launched and one chain lift will take away this effect. My guess Chain lifts for a dueling coaster. ;)
This is my opinion. ;)
aaron j gallimore

The sanctuary on Twitter have said the spider thing is the innoculator? Didn't AT say it was the marmalisation thing???  :D
lewis97
Admin
Admin

aaron j gallimore wrote: The sanctuary on Twitter have said the spider thing is the innoculator? Didn't AT say it was the marmalisation thing???  :D
Yes it's called The Marmaliser in the app. Don't take what unofficial accounts say seriously at all!
aaron j gallimore

Looks official