The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
Evostance

Hmm.

On the main site http://www.altontowers.com/ it says:

Yet if you click that it takes you to the minisite which says :

Do Alton even know if it will be first or beating?  Maybe they know of another coaster with this "washing machine" function coming this year, so if its implemented they will just increase the number of "spins" to make it beating
Boz

Why does it have to be one or the other? Why can't it be both? ;)
muttlee

Codmaster wrote:
halso86 wrote: Looking at the main AT website, the picture of the ride seems to show Overhead restraints?
Floorless trains also!!!!

The trains look a lot like the B&M floorless models, however if they are indeed floorless it will confirm OSTR's.

Maybee the Worlds First Floorless Gerstlauer!

Ohh I'm excited now!
I think it's more likely to be stock "roller coaster imagery" that has been used by a graphic artist for this image rather than an accurate view of what we will get. I think those actually are the B&M cars. Good looking imagery though!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Now we know 'The Inoculator' was not SW7's name, what do you think it is?
As I've previously identified ;) it still relates to the theme of The Smiler very well, so that's what makes me think it still has a purpose somewhere...
  • A trick by Alton Towers to draw our attention away from The Smiler?
  • Some other part of the ride, such as the secret element?
  • A new name for enterprise/submission?
Boz wrote: Why does it have to be one or the other? Why can't it be both? ;)
Exactly, that's what I've kept saying!
Th13TEENGUY

World first (washer machine element) world beating (number of inversions)
LCFC til i die
Sam198

JayTricky wrote:
Sam198 wrote: Something just dawned on me...

Could 'The Smiler' be a mere 'nickname' for the facility as a whole? Kinda like how a prison might be referred to as 'The Slammer'?

"Send him to the Slammer."
"Send him to the Smiler."

It works linguistically and fits with the context of a mental asylum.
I doubt it. They wouldn't go and promote, or trademark, a nickname. In my opinion.
This seems rather redundant now, but I didn't mean as a nickname for the ride as such... it was more a suggestion of how the term could be implemented into the theme. ;)
JayJay90

lewis97 wrote: Now we know 'The Inoculator' was not SW7's name, what do you think it is?
As I've previously identified ;) it still relates to the theme of The Smiler very well, so that's what makes me think it still has a purpose somewhere...
  • A trick by Alton Towers to draw our attention away from The Smiler?
  • Some other part of the ride, such as the secret element?
  • A new name for enterprise/submission?
Its been confirmed that the name for this coaster is The Smiler :)
I think inoculator will be something within the ride
Last edited by JayJay90 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JayTricky

Black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow!!
Sam198

JayTricky wrote: Black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow!!
Queue line/area music anyone? ;)
Samwise

The Smiler confirmed to be opening in May
21st January 2013

After weeks of speculation, the new-for-2013 roller coaster called The Smiler will open in May. This confirms earlier rumours of a delayed opening.

The information has been released by Alton Towers’ Press Office.

More to follow.

Taken from Towers Street
Wise
W@LLI$

Samwise wrote: The Smiler confirmed to be opening in May
21st January 2013

After weeks of speculation, the new-for-2013 roller coaster called The Smiler will open in May. This confirms earlier rumours of a delayed opening.

The information has been released by Alton Towers’ Press Office.

More to follow.

Taken from Towers Street
Beat me to it ;)
#GETCORRECTED
BETTER NOT GO ALONE
[url=http://"http://ridesims.com/users/4791-cawallis123/"]Image[/url]
Kenzie2012

The full release...

.  ALTON TOWERS RESORT BAFFLES THE NATION IN A BAAAARMY HOAX

Alton Towers Resort stages a hoax as it prepares to launch The Smiler, the brand new coaster for 2013

Today, Alton Towers Resort has admitted responsibility for the mysterious branding of sheep which has swept across the UK. It was all part of an elaborate stunt to reveal the name of its new rollercoaster for 2013, The Smiler. The stunt, which has puzzled the nation for the past week, saw hundreds of sheep across the county emblazoned with a strange symbol. The symbol has been identified as the logo for The Smiler, which will open to the public later this year. 
Last week a group of farmers, who were recruited by the Resort, branded their flocks of sheep using black livestock aerosol marker and a stencil of The Smiler symbol. Pictures of the painted sheep were leaked on Twitter after being posted by the farmers involved and bewildered members of the public. The pictures soon went viral as many people re-tweeted the posts and sharing their own thoughts and theories on what the symbol meant. A number of newspapers and websites picked up the story causing widespread confusion across the country.

It has since been revealed that it was all part of a stunt for Alton Towers Resort. Katherine Duckworth from the Resort commented, “We wanted to create some mystery around the name of our new world first rollercoaster, The Smiler. We’ve managed to baffle the nation and hopefully made a few people smile. The Smiler will be our biggest and most thrilling attraction the Resort has ever seen and we can’t wait for guests to join us in May and experience it for themselves.”

Ros Turner, a farmer from Melton Mowbray said: “Everyone loves a mystery and it was great to be involved in the hoax. It made a nice change from milking cows and ploughing fields!”

The Smiler is the new world-first rollercoaster coming to the Alton Towers Resort in 2013. The Smiler is an all-knowing controlling force that will make riders compliant until they become a smiling advocate.

The ride, which is the Resort’s biggest ever investment, will feature a track the length of ten football fields, gut-wrenching 30-meter drops and hurtling speeds of up to 85km per hour. For more details on the The Smiler, coming to Alton Towers Resort in 2013 visit www.altontowers.com/thesmiler

Notes to editor:

About The Smiler:
In 2013, Alton Towers Resort will launch its biggest ever rollercoaster – The Smiler (www.altontowers.com/thesmiler). The first of its kind in the world, The Smiler will be the biggest ever investment for a ride at the Resort. Whilst many of the details are still a closely guarded secret, here are a few exclusive facts:

·        Highest drop – 30m
·        Maximum speed – approx 85km/hr which is 10km/hr faster than Air
·        Track length – 1,170m. This is 3x the length of Oblivion
·        Ride time – 165 seconds which is 3x the ride time of Rita
·        Passengers per ride train – 16 (4x rows of 4)
·        Minimum rider height – 1.4m
·        Location – X Sector, on the site of the old Black Hole ride
·        Investment for the Resort - £18m
Last edited by Kenzie2012 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
astralAndy

Which type of restraints are we getting for The Smiler? I think it's likely that the ultimate reason we are seeing over shoulder restraints in the concept art is that these were the most suitable decent close up shots which AT had at hand with which to make a quick poster style image. Say if they *are* using lap bar type restraints, they may have just had no instantly usable shots at hand. As someone noted earlier in the marketing thread, much of what is in the promo concept pic is reworkings of  'Oblivion' shots, which I would guess are just leftover shots which were not used in the original Oblivion promo images.

That doesn't mean to say there will or will not be a similar type of restraint used for The Smiler, it just means that the reason these particular images were used is ultimately because they were already there and ready to use. Of course there's also still weight behind the argument that another reason they have used these images is because they actually *are* using similar type restraints to Oblivion, but that is speculation. Guess we'll have to wait for some other revelation to give us more hints as to the exact type of restraints used.
riley_h96

.  ALTON TOWERS RESORT BAFFLES THE NATION IN A BAAAARMY HOAX

Alton Towers Resort stages a hoax as it prepares to launch The Smiler, the brand new coaster for 2013

Today, Alton Towers Resort has admitted responsibility for the mysterious branding of sheep which has swept across the UK. It was all part of an elaborate stunt to reveal the name of its new rollercoaster for 2013, The Smiler. The stunt, which has puzzled the nation for the past week, saw hundreds of sheep across the county emblazoned with a strange symbol. The symbol has been identified as the logo for The Smiler, which will open to the public later this year. 
Last week a group of farmers, who were recruited by the Resort, branded their flocks of sheep using black livestock aerosol marker and a stencil of The Smiler symbol. Pictures of the painted sheep were leaked on Twitter after being posted by the farmers involved and bewildered members of the public. The pictures soon went viral as many people re-tweeted the posts and sharing their own thoughts and theories on what the symbol meant. A number of newspapers and websites picked up the story causing widespread confusion across the country.

It has since been revealed that it was all part of a stunt for Alton Towers Resort. Katherine Duckworth from the Resort commented, “We wanted to create some mystery around the name of our new world first rollercoaster, The Smiler. We’ve managed to baffle the nation and hopefully made a few people smile. The Smiler will be our biggest and most thrilling attraction the Resort has ever seen and we can’t wait for guests to join us in May and experience it for themselves.”

Ros Turner, a farmer from Melton Mowbray said: “Everyone loves a mystery and it was great to be involved in the hoax. It made a nice change from milking cows and ploughing fields!”

The Smiler is the new world-first rollercoaster coming to the Alton Towers Resort in 2013. The Smiler is an all-knowing controlling force that will make riders compliant until they become a smiling advocate.

The ride, which is the Resort’s biggest ever investment, will feature a track the length of ten football fields, gut-wrenching 30-meter drops and hurtling speeds of up to 85km per hour. For more details on the The Smiler, coming to Alton Towers Resort in 2013 visit www.altontowers.com/thesmiler

Notes to editor:

About The Smiler:
In 2013, Alton Towers Resort will launch its biggest ever rollercoaster – The Smiler (www.altontowers.com/thesmiler). The first of its kind in the world, The Smiler will be the biggest ever investment for a ride at the Resort. Whilst many of the details are still a closely guarded secret, here are a few exclusive facts:

·        Highest drop – 30m
·        Maximum speed – approx 85km/hr which is 10km/hr faster than Air
·        Track length – 1,170m. This is 3x the length of Oblivion
·        Ride time – 165 seconds which is 3x the ride time of Rita
·        Passengers per ride train – 16 (4x rows of 4)
·        Minimum rider height – 1.4m
·        Location – X Sector, on the site of the old Black Hole ride
·        Investment for the Resort - £18m
But it could be a typo possibly...!
Kenzie2012

No it's not a typo, hence why I've quoted it. It is being launched in May and it has been confirmed as that.
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
icecream88

So what do people think of the trains that feature in the latest marketing photo?
imo they look like 2 oblivion trains hooked together (obvs with only 4 per row)
Kenzie2012

I really can't tell to be honest, what you can see of them is just too small to make any huge comparisons. The OTSR'S though, I get the feeling they are actually Oblivion restraints.... It's been mentioned already that they could be old Oblivion photos that have been doctored to fit this ATM.
Sam198

icecream88 wrote: So what do people think of the trains that feature in the latest marketing photo?
imo they look like 2 oblivion trains hooked together (obvs with only 4 per row)
They appear to be four rows of the standard B&M floorless configured trains...

Now obviously, that's not what we're getting. But that's not to say we won't be seeing a similar design from Gerst. ;)
Chaz

I am 100% that image is of The Hulk, IoA.

Concept art is just that, it's a concept, look at old Samurai (CWoA) that had concept art from a Top Spin's restraints. And N:ST obviously, and Vortex originally.

There's loads of examples, I would like to see lap bars though!

Edit: the part of the image I am referring too is the train with the actual people in it (left), not the smaller train image obviously.
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7
#SmileTrials

Does anyone know where I can have the link or file transfer, if not the name of The Smiler font used in thier promotion>? :shock: