The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
Adz
Admin
Admin

We have updated our SW7 site with details of what we believe the secret element will look like.

www.towerstimes.co.uk/sw7/secret-element
Mattfat1

andyuk200523 wrote: I will have to reserve judgement until opening day, however, if it jolts like SAW, I will not be impressed at all!!!
Me too, was at thorpe Monday, was determined to make that day change my mind but it didn't, saw looks and sounds so smooth from off ride but its just not.
I hope SW7 isn't gonna be like that because thats the thing I like most about AT, all the coasters are superbly built and lovely to ride. It's great taking friends who might not necessarily be into theme-park rides and whacking them on a coaster at AT because you know they will love it. But then with rides like Saw and Colossus...hmm
Ripsaw Raver wrote: if there was 2 rotation chambers one next to each other
or that
JayJay90

Adz wrote: We have updated our SW7 site with details of what we believe the secret element will look like.

Seeing this, on the discussion of the throughput it could be easy to have 3 of these trick track tunnels. Looks amazing
oblivion nut

Anyone else heard speculation that is a Eurofighter? So more than likley is going to be Saw The Ride except with a world first and different theming! Heard that there was a launch section (but how this is a worlds first im not sure)
Again! RUMOUR!  o_O
upgraiden

oblivion nut wrote:
Anyone else heard speculation that is a Eurofighter? So more than likley is going to be Saw The Ride except with a world first and different theming! Heard that there was a launch section (but how this is a worlds first im not sure)
Again! RUMOUR!  o_O
Not true. Read the last few pages of this thread.
Rollercoasters4Life

upgraiden wrote:
oblivion nut wrote:
Again! RUMOUR!  o_O
Not true. Read the last few pages of this thread.
Can I just add that the Worlds First/World beating part is not 100% yet so don't rule anything out. Its only highly rumoured at this point - not 100% definite. It looks to be a variation of a Eurofighter with an added extra, it is highly thought to be a rotating track around the heart-line in/under the station building. There is also nothing ruling out maybe a launched (albeit not a fast speed launch just one to get to the top - think Maverick) first lift hill.
Ripsaw Raver

but alton towers its self have used the phrase WorldFirst as well as the world beating, it was in the Sentinel Newspaper a few pages back
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
Morgano

Adz wrote: We have updated our SW7 site with details of what we believe the secret element will look like.

As awesome as that looks, the whole idea of having this below the shop with a viewing gallery wouldn't work as there would be nothing to view.

THIS however looks to be the most reasonable and reliable method of reproducing a 360 role. For me this now casts doubt over the whole viewing gallery idea, which could also cast doubt on the whole element. If one part of the rumour is false then perhaps the whole thing is.
Last edited by Morgano on Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Morgano

Point 2:

THIS image shows the section directly underneath the station and hole. You can see the position of the REBAR represents the location of the planned footers.

This doesn't look like it will house any special element at all.
Last edited by Morgano on Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boz

I never thought it would. My opinion is and remains, that the feature will be below the maintenance bay at the back of the site. I do however believe that the ride will drop below the shop and emerge on the other side.
Boz wrote: Here's my prediction of What is going to happen. If you compare it to the angles on the excavation, it's extremely plausible.

Edit: I'm also putting together a working Sketchup model (engineer/artist's impression), of what we belive the secret element to be. It will be released later this week as a TT exclusive, so stay tuned  8)

I was the one who created the model. I would like to say for the record, and to clear up any confusion. It is purely representational of how the mechanism could work, and not of a final product. We expect that if this is accurate, it will be in the dark, and accompanied by many disorientating special/scare effects.
The drum was purely for effect, and has no inclusion in the mechanism. But I did consider it as a possibility, given the hypnosis theme that seems to be emerging. If you look a bit closer, you will see the track in the model is attached to two rings, which I believe will be rotated in a very similar way to a trommel.
I also do not believe that the trick track will be below the shop, but below the maintenance bay at ground level, before joining the lift hill. I do however believe the ride will pass below the shop after a steep drop.
Last edited by Boz on Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
AJLlama

I'm wondering if the track will stop upside down after rotating, then go into an inversion from the top? just a thought...
Boz

That's also a possibility, or even visa versa, or indeed both. That's still up for speculation.
altontowerskid

I would say this is the perfect example of how the trick-track will work, but I do believe there will be two cars on the trick-track at a time, just to sort out the issue of timing for the duelling part of the coaster :)
AJLlama

Lovely diagram by the way Boz
scw55

I don't mean to patronise by posting this. But I find this queue video oddly, similar in tone to what we know about SW7:

I do hope the two coasters are linked beyond co-existence.
scott.smith

The comments on that video really sums up the GP
AdrenalineAlex

This proposed secret element sounds exciting but I know people were saying they could just '1 up' everyone but it would get so sickening and boring very quickly if this is the case. The gimmick would probably end up being the worst aspect of the ride in my opinion.
oliviamae

scw55 wrote: I don't mean to patronise by posting this. But I find this queue video oddly, similar in tone to what we know about SW7:

I do hope the two coasters are linked beyond co-existence.
on the second video ( it says "hypnosis is not available at alton towers".

maybe this is how they will link?
oliviamae

just had a thought after seeing the on site sanctuary sign - can we make a new thread once scarefest begins to discuss the sanctuary and speculate as to what relation it has to sw7? it might help figure out a bit more about what's going to happen indoors
ponder

scw55 wrote:
Sort of like the Cold War but much less depressing.
That would depend on the number of rotations...

Loop - Roller coaster and Theme Park inspired T-shirts
http://looptees.com / https://www.facebook.com/looptps