The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
JayJay90

Could it simply be that it's being called a worlds beating coaster purely on the fact it can never be beaten ever. I know this points already been made and such but what I saying is like Rita, stealth came along and beat it but then another park can again go one better and beat that. As the above post points out this trick track is a weapon to any other theme park as if to say "hey, you trying to beat the inversion record WELL HA! You can't because we can just add another spin :) it's kind of like putting an end to anyone even trying to beat it because they can't.
scw55

You can still match it with a similar device on another coaster. That's the point I'm making with the name Infinate Inverting Coaster.

Sort of like the Cold War but much less depressing.
JayJay90

Oh yes ingest you. I suppose if another park brings in the same element to do the same thing and beat then they're going to be in a constant battle and it'll be silly.

Personally i can't see another park investing £20m or whatever to do this because 'the secret weapon' aka this tricktrack is to me like a threat as if to say hey we can always go one better.

Also going on from an earlier post about the glass floor, I hope it views the trick track I know it seems more likely it won't but has anyone from the plans drawn out a possibility of where it could be used for the trick track?
Ripsaw Raver

lets just say.. i hope the system is patented so in a few years time we dont get Verbolten.v2
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
Nightfall

This is why the inversion record is pointless and should have stopped when rides like the 4th Dimension were invented. It's only a matter of time before someone builds a Roller Coaster that can do this:

Video of Gerstlauer Sky Roller ride
[align=center]Image[/align]
sweedish2009

Nightfall wrote: This is why the inversion record is pointless and should have stopped when rides like the 4th Dimension were invented. It's only a matter of time before someone builds a Roller Coaster that can do this:

How has this guy not spewed chunks?!
Now's not the time for fear. That comes later.

Follow me on Twitter- https://twitter.com/one_hung_low
Instant Mix

How I see this rotating track to work, similar to that maurer sohne video thing

The track would be held by the bottom of the cylinder, and the cylinder would rotate on about 8 motors with gears, to give sufficient enough force to do complete revolutions - and would still rotate around the heartline.  Not "technically impossible" as one person or so said
JayJay90

Nightfall wrote: This is why the inversion record is pointless and should have stopped when rides like the 4th Dimension were invented. It's only a matter of time before someone builds a Roller Coaster that can do this:

I saw this ride the other day and thought a flat ride like this would be awesome for AT
dazza4783

Hi all, i'm a long time lurker on this forum but thought i would register and wade in with my thoughts on what this new coaster will be.
I think the coaster will definitely have the trick track, but here's where my idea differs from the rest of the ideas on here, i think there will be 2 trick tracks, one at the start of the ride and one at the end. As the theme of the ride seems to be hypnosis, the first one will be to hypnotise us, the second to de-hynotise us after the ride.
I came to this conclusion as i think the smiley face logo is a clue. The Eyes, one spiralling one way, the other spiralling in the opposite direction, and inbetween the spirals is the smile which looks alot like coaster track. I may be way off but that's just what i expect it to be, any thoughts.
spin_doctor

Instant Mix wrote: How I see this rotating track to work, similar to that maurer sohne video thing

The track would be held by the bottom of the cylinder, and the cylinder would rotate on about 8 motors with gears, to give sufficient enough force to do complete revolutions - and would still rotate around the heartline.  Not "technically impossible" as one person or so said
This is exactly like the 3D model im building at the moment lol seems like the most efficient way to do it. With regards to the two trick tracks idea, it is possible for the car to go through the same trick track twice if we had a similar system to airs station with the track switching so you can enter the chamber from multiple sides, if that makes sense.
AdrenalineAlex

I guess the idea of this rotating flip track kinda fits in with the theme of the DNA as it winds and twists.
scw55

dazza4783 wrote: Hi all, i'm a long time lurker on this forum but thought i would register and wade in with my thoughts on what this new coaster will be.
I think the coaster will definitely have the trick track, but here's where my idea differs from the rest of the ideas on here, i think there will be 2 trick tracks, one at the start of the ride and one at the end. As the theme of the ride seems to be hypnosis, the first one will be to hypnotise us, the second to de-hynotise us after the ride.
I came to this conclusion as i think the smiley face logo is a clue. The Eyes, one spiralling one way, the other spiralling in the opposite direction, and inbetween the spirals is the smile which looks alot like coaster track. I may be way off but that's just what i expect it to be, any thoughts.
Valid point. We were so caught up with the rumour that we forgot what the second eye might mean anything.
dazza4783

spin_doctor wrote:
Instant Mix wrote: How I see this rotating track to work, similar to that maurer sohne video thing

This is exactly like the 3D model im building at the moment lol seems like the most efficient way to do it. With regards to the two trick tracks idea, it is possible for the car to go through the same trick track twice if we had a similar system to airs station with the track switching so you can enter the chamber from multiple sides, if that makes sense.
That makes sense in the fact that it's possible to be done that way, i think that would seriously harm the throughput though.
Nightfall

You can also have more than one cart on a trick track at the same time. This works well with double stations, Saw type stations where two trains load at once or the switch track idea that was just suggested so that the train coming back enters before or after the one coming in.

For an example see this ride.
[align=center]Image[/align]
dominoes

Just wondering, how do we know it is a Gert? I mean, Maurer posted the video with the twisting track, and the lift looks similar to Rip Ride Rocket, so could it be a Maurer?
Mattfat1

I was thinking exactly that. Having it happen 1 Car at a time isn't going to do anywhere near the output per hour thats needed. They could even ramp up the saw loading 2 at a time and work out how to do it 3 at a time and then you have 24passengers in one go (using the standard 8passenger eurofighter cars)

Its got to be around the same as Thir13en at 20passengers per train, that drop sequence is over in a few seconds and the SW7 "trick track" sequence must take longer than that otherwise it will be like a 1200rpm washing machine to make it go through enough passengers.

The Thir13en track is much shorter though so somewhere between the quick sequence at 20passengers per drop on a short track and then the longer track of SW7 with a longer "trick sequence" you would imagine that they would need to be around the same ballpark and 2 standard eurofighter cars at 16passengers still wont be enough so possibly 3cars per "trick sequence" or new cars with more than 8 passengers??
Ripsaw Raver

Providing the amount of block areas throughput might not be too bad, if there was 2 rotation chambers one next to each other a train could dispatch, complete the "speculated drop" and enter the chamber just as the next one is dispatched, as one train leaves the chamber the next one has entered the other one,and the other chamber is empty ready for another dispatch. and if there way a block area before the drop say for a explanation from the MOJ With a flash from the Smiley thats another car space.
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
Jammydodger

I kind of feel sorry for the poor sap that had the headache of working out how the block sequencing is ever going to work on this ride. That alone is going to be a technical marvel.
andyuk200523

dominoes wrote: Just wondering, how do we know it is a Gert? I mean, Maurer posted the video with the twisting track, and the lift looks similar to Rip Ride Rocket, so could it be a Maurer?
Annoyingly, as much as I want it to be anything other than a Headache inducing Gerstlauer, I have a friend over at EAS at the moment and they have confirmed from Gerstlauer that they are currently constructing a project for Alton Towers.................

I will have to reserve judgement until opening day, however, if it jolts like SAW, I will not be impressed at all!!!
Andrew

Next Trip - No Idea!
Thought when exiting The Smiler - "Which way is up?"
oliviamae

scw55 wrote:
dazza4783 wrote: Hi all, i'm a long time lurker on this forum but thought i would register and wade in with my thoughts on what this new coaster will be.
Valid point. We were so caught up with the rumour that we forgot what the second eye might mean anything.
to me the two eyes remind me of a cobra roll the spirals inside just an indicator of the rest of the ride