The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
spin_doctor

Wow thats looks amazing. I can really imagine that working well. Although it would mean that the shop floor isnt over the secret element but this doesnt seem like such a bad idea. I like the thought of the train just whizzing past underneath, and the potential inversion spot could easily fit a corkscrew. I cant wait for this ride. :)
The Moon

danwhit709 wrote: I like the idea of a beyond vertical drop inside. Never been done before and will provide quite a shocking experience if paired with decent effects as it will have to be extremely tight in order to fit.

The inside drop in saw seemed very sharp and thrilling so this should be an excellent addition to the ride.

This will probably mean that the number of non trick  track inversions will be reduced or taken out all together which i think is a shame as the slow roll in Saw was a great feature and could be an awesome feature to add to SW7 with a substantial amount of themeing involved.
Look up Mystery Mine, gives an idea of an indoor Eurofighter drop.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...
Morgano

The Moon wrote: Look up Mystery Mine, gives an idea of an indoor Eurofighter drop.
And Saw and Takabisha
Marcus

Bit off topic but on Saw at thorpey the indoor drop is much scarier & better than the main big one.
Jammydodger

Yeah, and there's no real reason the drop couldn't have been beyond vertical if they felt like it
The Moon

Morgano wrote:
The Moon wrote: Look up Mystery Mine, gives an idea of an indoor Eurofighter drop.
And Saw and Takabisha
Beyond vertical indoor drop, the only one built.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...
Instant Mix

The Moon wrote: Instead of y axis G's it is x axis. In laymans, its G's in the direction of acceleration forward and backwards instead of up and down.
The reason it works for inverted coasters, ie. SLC's or B&M flying coasters is because relative to the loop, the head is perpendicular and facing the inside of the track. Although the same force is applied, it's not dangerous as it doesn't cause bloodflow to the head. When a car or whatevs moves in a circle, a constant acceleration is applied towards the centre of the circle (centripedal force). Centrifugal force doesn't actually exist, it's just the name of the reaction force of whatever is turning. Back on topic though, this causes the body to be constantly forced outward from the circle by the car, causing blood to flow down. in the case of an inverted coaster, that just makes blood rush to the feet, a normal occurance that our body can handle. if it was a standard sit down though, blood would QUICKLY rush to the head, giving you one heck of a hemorrhage.
The Moon

What? Inverts are exactly the same G graph layout as sit downs. Flyers are different.

Toke up...
Instant Mix

The Moon wrote: What? Inverts are exactly the same G graph layout as sit downs. Flyers are different.
No.. Relative to the body's position they aren't. Sure, relative to the floor yeah. But it's the relativity to the body that matters.
Here, coming from a physicist, i know my stuff
MG is the force of gravity, and MRω^2 is the centripedal force of the loop. As you can see, the body experiences MG and MRω^2, but as the body is used to gravity and is built for forces in the downward direction, it's essentially just the force of MRω^2 being applied. No biggie.
Exact same concept with lay-downs.
The blood travels from heart to back in a flyer rather than head to feet, making it essentially safer. Again, no biggie.

Sit-downs are horrible because:
Unlike flyers or inverts, the body experiences both gravity and MRω^2 toward the head, the exact opposite to what the body is designed to do, causing a rush of blood to the head.
Last edited by Instant Mix on Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oliviamae

if this is true maybe the use of both world's first and world beating is due to the fact that there are multiple first elements
The Moon

There's only one worlds first...

Toke up...
The Moon

Coming from someone with eyes, an invert is EXACTLY the same as a sit down in terms of G but with the track above your head. Complex physics doesn't come into it, except when comparing Flyers to the others previously mentioned.

Toke up...
danwhit709

Oh right, Didn't realise mystery mine's indoor drop was beyond vertical.

Anyway, what sort of indoor themeing, lighting, interactive features does everyone think will be housed inside the dark ride section? I personally would like to see the use of strobe lights at some point as they really make for a crazy, disorientating experience...

thoughts?
JaykeAT

On the plans,isn't there a bit where there's an inversion and then a long straight,so would it be possible for the train/shuttle to go through the loop multiple times?
The Moon

No, that would be impossible.

Toke up...
abigsmurf

All this talk about the physics of an outward loop...

Are there actually any flying coasters with a loop 'underneath' the track where you remain on the outside of the track all the time? I thought they either twist you around at the bottom or the loop is above the track.

That's a massive force whipping your head away from the headrest when you're at the bottom. Seems really dangerous to me.

Had a look and I can't see any flying coasters with a complete loop of that nature.
The Moon

In that case, the bottom of any drop or apex of any turn would be dangerous. Loops on flying coasters are not used simply because inside loops and different, unconventional inversions are possible.

Toke up...
abigsmurf

The Moon wrote: In that case, the bottom of any drop or apex of any turn would be dangerous. Loops on flying coasters are not used simply because inside loops and different, unconventional inversions are possible.
Forcefully pushing your head back into the seat = safe
Forcefully pulling your head away from the seat = whiplash
The Moon

The base of a flying drop or turn on a Flying coaster is exactly the same as a loop base. Where you're getting the idea of whip I will never be sure.

Toke up...
Instant Mix

The Moon wrote: Coming from someone with eyes, an invert is EXACTLY the same as a sit down in terms of G but with the track above your head. Complex physics doesn't come into it, except when comparing Flyers to the others previously mentioned.
Yes but you know, if you actually wanted to read what I was saying I was stating that despite G being the same, the relativity of it and the rider's body changes it's impact completely. And if you are going to blatantly ignore me, I'll bring in "complex physics" if I have to.