The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
Jammydodger

If it did have both a drop and inversion system it seems like it would be a massive headache to construct and maintain. It's hard to imagine right now because all I can really picture is a dark cold cave looking at the construction. But in reality could well be a brightly lit room with displays and props scattered everywhere, with no "surprise" element as such, but more of dramatic build up. I kind of imagine Saw and the way Billy laughs at you before you ascend the lift hill, but instead this weird face watching you everywhere you go on TV screens, laughing away at you and making remarks etc.
oliviamae

the press release said that the sanctuary is a 50 year old medical facility, and the video where commuters get spooked involved scenes of 'brainwashing', so i don't think the face will be a kind of big-brother type figure watching you, perhaps more of a trigger for the hypnosis. i think it's going to be quite clinical, but i'm sure we'll be able to figure out a lot more when it comes to scarefest
oliviamae

incase the spinning isn't right, maybe it could be that the people in the shop who can see below to the track can press certain buttons for certain images and effects to flash up, perhaps. for example, a set of buttons, and a) will show something nice, b) something nasty, etc and it's up to the people overseeing to decide.
Morgano

Gerstlauer are attending the Euro Attractions show 2012 from today until the 11th.

http://www.gerstlauer-rides.de/service- ... ade-shows/

Maybe we'll get some answers about Eurofighter developments, unique elements and lap bars etc... I'm sure nothing will be mentioned regarding SW7 but I'm sure some information will filter through.
scw55

If Derren Brown's experiment is anything to go by, 80% of the time it'll be something nasty.
Sanction

Has anyone noticed that this rotating track could also link to hex in the towers which is where the sanctuary scarefest attraction will be located. This could link the towers with the x-sector?
Tom G

World's first 360 degree drop. It will start from the station and immediately complete a downward loop before exiting at a level lower than the station.

djneice

Tom G wrote: World's first 360 degree drop. It will start from the station and immediately complete a downward loop before exiting at a level lower than the station.

Would that not be really uncomfortable..
spin_doctor

Since this is the spoiler topic.

I can now confirm that this ride WILL have a beyond vertical drop inside the building. No more information about how and where this will take place. Not entirely certain if this is old news or not. If so I apologise.
The Moon

How. The.  :censored:.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...
Ripsaw Raver

now im getting sceptical on just how they can fit a beyond vertical drop and this TrickTrack in-Supossing that the Beyond vertical drop goes over sharp at the top and has a slightly inverted slant-abit like say the down track on G-Force i supose its possible but still would it not be slightly dangerous to Oblivion basicaly taking all the limelight away.
I mean Joe Public is mostly likely going to say..Oblivions **** compared to "SW7".

under no curcumstances am i saying that you are making this up, because i do believe in what you say. Im just trying to find a way of visualizing in that space room to rotate 4+ times and drop past 90degrees.

Well worth looking out for though
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
spin_doctor

I have no idea whats going on either. Very exciting though. To be honest I dont think this will steal the limelight from oblivion. Oblivion will still dominate the X-Sector and the sheer size of the trains and track give it a menace that eurofighters can only dream of. This drop will have to be really tight, and not very high, maybe functioning only as a way of getting from the top to the bottom in as short an area as possible.
Ripsaw Raver

right heres my latest speculation. So say you exit the station and immidiatly turn left onto a block section-images flash up of the face with some strobes. You then go left again until you are diagonal with the station. A screen in front flashes the face again and you all of a sudden dive headfirst head over heels-inverting for a slight section breaks catching you as you complete a tight leveling out of the drop you then head foward still facing the direction you dropped and come to a halt ( doors open infront of you and you turn to the right now inline with the lift hill -in this section the rotation trick track takes place - doors then open in front of you and you are ready for the rest of the coaster. This is the only way i would see this working in such a space. The only problem is that the shop glass element would have to focus on the drop not the trick track =/
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
Morgano

If this ride will feature the beyond vertical drop the size of the hole is more than accommodating. But I can't see how it will feature both the vertical drop AND the rotating trick track...

Seems near impossible. The only way to do it would be to have the rotating track at the top before any drop in to the pit. Which blows the viewing glass idea out of the water. Also notice that the pit is way lower than the exit track on the plans which means there needs to be some momentum to take the train back up to that level. Therefore I cant see how the train will stop at the bottom of the pit to go on to the trick track element/viewing area.

Its going to be very slow, very cumbersome...

START --> VERTICAL DROP --> STOP --> VIEWING AREA/TRICK TRACK --> MOVE BACK UP TO EXIT TRACK LEVEL --> GO UP LIFT HILL

However

START --> Sharp 180 degree turn --> TRICK TRACK --> VERTICAL DROP (as per SAW/Takabisha) --> INLINE TWIST --> ENOUGH MOMENTUM TO REACH EXIT TRACK LEVEL.

The current excavation just doesn't support the plan at all, especially the area where the track exits the station and goes up the lift... which leaves many questions regarding the authenticity of these rumours.

When I get some time i'll overlay the plan to the current excavation which will show there is problem with having a viewing area/trick track under the shop which would leave the train unable to exit at the same level as the lift.

Very confusing!
Morgano

Ripsaw Raver wrote: right heres my latest speculation. So say you exit the station and immidiatly turn left onto a block section-images flash up of the face with some strobes. You then go left again until you are diagonal with the station. A screen in front flashes the face again and you all of a sudden dive headfirst head over heels-inverting for a slight section breaks catching you as you complete a tight leveling out of the drop you then head foward still facing the direction you dropped and come to a halt ( doors open infront of you and you turn to the right now inline with the lift hill -in this section the rotation trick track takes place - doors then open in front of you and you are ready for the rest of the coaster. This is the only way i would see this working in such a space. The only problem is that the shop glass element would have to focus on the drop not the trick track =/
Yes the focus viewing area would be of the wrong section of track which leads me to believe the information is incorrect.
Adz
Admin
Admin

TowersTimes has no information regarding a beyond vertical drop, just for the record.

It's possible I suppose.
scw55

Tom G wrote: World's first 360 degree drop. It will start from the station and immediately complete a downward loop before exiting at a level lower than the station.

The amount of G forces that would be exerted would severely brain damage any riders. You'd have to be seriously trained in fighter jets to stay conscious. Sadly these elements would never exist.

I'm not sure how flying coasters get away with it however... is it passanger position?
Last edited by scw55 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Moon

Instead of y axis G's it is x axis. In laymans, its G's in the direction of acceleration forward and backwards instead of up and down.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...
danwhit709

I like the idea of a beyond vertical drop inside. Never been done before and will provide quite a shocking experience if paired with decent effects as it will have to be extremely tight in order to fit.

The inside drop in saw seemed very sharp and thrilling so this should be an excellent addition to the ride.

This will probably mean that the number of non trick  track inversions will be reduced or taken out all together which i think is a shame as the slow roll in Saw was a great feature and could be an awesome feature to add to SW7 with a substantial amount of themeing involved.
Boz

Here's my prediction of What is going to happen. If you compare it to the angles on the excavation, it's extremely plausible.

Edit: I'm also putting together a working Sketchup model (engineer/artist's impression), of what we belive the secret element to be. It will be released later this week as a TT exclusive, so stay tuned  8)
Last edited by Boz on Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.