The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
Krazycoaster

Nightfall wrote: That’s why I’m fairly confident that the World’s First will be something meaningful. I’m still placing my bets that it’ll have something to do with the ride Duelling but beyond that I don’t have a clue.
I hope the world's first has nothing to do with the dueling. For one, the coaster isn't actually dueling, it's just completing it's circuit with more than one car on the track at the same time. Also, because of loading procedures, the ride may not always acomplish this 'dueling effect' I'm pretty sure the world's first will be something proper like Oblivion's or Th13teen's
coastermaster

i still think it will be something to do  the lift hill mabey where you go up normal then get turned around and droped backwards
badboi787

coastermaster wrote: i still think it will be something to do  the lift hill mabey where you go up normal then get turned around and droped backwards
No, just no.
dominoes

^Why?
Krazycoaster

^Because that's not a world first. It's just a lift hill with a track turntable at the top;both of which we have seen before :D
dominoes

^Good point...  :oops:
But maybe the car turns by itself?
Bote

A controlled spinning coaster then essentially? :P

;)

Personally, I think it's highly unlikely any of the exterior section of this ride will take place in reverse. The forces will just be too much and spoil it.
dominoes

Ah poo.
Krazycoaster

I'm 95% sure that the world's first will be in the enclosed part of the ride. This means they do not need to show it on the planning permission and it leaves us guessing till we find out! As long as the world's first is marketable, I don't mind what it is :D
pluk

Krazycoaster wrote: As long as the world's first is marketable, I don't mind what it is :D
I don't give a shiny if it is marketable, as long as it rides well.
Total Unique Ridecount
Krazycoaster

pluk wrote:
Krazycoaster wrote: As long as the world's first is marketable, I don't mind what it is :D
To be honest, I couldn't care about a world's first; I would be much happier with a fun and enjoyable experience. The thing with world's first is that as soon as you've done it, another park will do it and your ride will no longer be that special.
mrbrightside

Krazycoaster wrote:
pluk wrote:
To be honest, I couldn't care about a world's first; I would be much happier with a fun and enjoyable experience. The thing with world's first is that as soon as you've done it, another park will do it and your ride will no longer be that special.
I disagree with you there. Oblivion is not the only B&M dive machine in the world, but it doesn't make it any less special to see or ride. Nor does it make the ride less 'special' to the public.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ImageImage
AstroDan

The staff on park are certainly being given the 'better than Nemesis' rhetoric.

As much as that's quite something for this ride to aspire to, isn't it wonderful that the park is actually able to talk about this new ride in the same sentence?

I can't imagine for one moment that it will be better, as it would pretty much need to be the best Gerstlauer ever built and then some to do that, but clearly it is going to be a great experience.

I hope Alton Towers have made it clear to the manufacturer that jolts are simply not acceptable. This is the most exciting project at the park since Air. It must be spot on.

Bring it on.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk
Krazycoaster

mrbrightside wrote:
Krazycoaster wrote:
pluk wrote: I don't give a shiny if it is marketable, as long as it rides well.
I disagree with you there. Oblivion is not the only B&M dive machine in the world, but it doesn't make it any less special to see or ride. Nor does it make the ride less 'special' to the public.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know exactly what you mean. What I meant was that I hope the ride is not centred around the world's first and that it is just an incorparation to the ride experience. With Oblivion, which is one of my favourite coasters of all time, becuase it was created and is still unlike an other Dive Machine (i.e. it drops down into the ground and it is a short experience) This makes Oblivion special, and it always will be until another parks does exactly the same thing, which no parks ever will. As long as SW7 is unique, which i'm sure it will be, it will be one of the best rides in the park and it will stay that way! :D
Longy

If Alton say world's first, they mean world's first!

It will be something very unique, similar to TH13TEEN's drop, so that it is marketable enough to make the Marketing Department weep with joy.

I highly doubt that it would be on the outside, and thus, would be on the inside instead, to surprise riders, again, similar to TH13TEEN.
Big Dave

They tried to market Nemesis: Sub Terra as a worlds first at one point, even though there is nothing overly worlds first about it

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2
PeteMadden

Hopefully it won't be a repeat of the TH13TEEN scenario.
The ride and themeing is class. The hype of the ride when it initially launched wasn't so class.

I honestly couldn't care less about marketing or public appeal. If it's gives the same feeling as Air that's enough for me.
starbugger1303

Big Dave wrote: They tried to market Nemesis: Sub Terra as a worlds first at one point, even though there is nothing overly worlds first about it

Apart from the whole "Top loading drop tower" concept..

:)
Coaster_Dude

starbugger1303 wrote:
Big Dave wrote: They tried to market Nemesis: Sub Terra as a worlds first at one point, even though there is nothing overly worlds first about it

Apart from the whole "Top loading drop tower" concept..

:)
I think that aspect of the ride gets overlooked. It's a really complicated thing to do and yet it functions very well.
Nightfall

I don't know if it has been mentioned but Iron Shark has opened. I haven't found many reports for it yet but those that I have seen said the lap bars are a huge improvement and apparently it's quite an intense ride (maybe too much so).
[align=center]Image[/align]