The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
spark

NastyPasty wrote:
spark wrote: It's a good layout and length which has sadly been lacking in ALL of AT's rides since Nemesis
Bit harsh. I think that Air and Th13teen have unqiue and intriguing layouts.
Ok perhaps Air isn't that bad, but I was referring to length, th13teen actually is pretty poor and could of been so much longer,
Coaster_Dude

Didn't Thirteen's location affect the layout and length though? There were very places they could put metalwork in the ground and what load could be placed there?
ubagel

I think we're onto something here...

What if the first half ran backwards? The standard lift works for that.

Then the second half runs forwards...that would explain the straight bit of track...it now has somewhere to turn around.

And I think the vertical launch would work too (now the train is forwards). Not sure if this is old hat, but there was a vertical launch concept for the Dark Forest:
From Towerstimeshttp://old.towerstimes.co.uk/history/plans/darkforest.htm

So, the vertical launch would't be worlds first, but it would attract attention. And the world first is a technicality on a backwards/forwards mobus which isn't marketable or exciting. I suspect a backwards coaster sounds more exciting than it is, and a backwards/forwards combo would grab attention without losing a great forwards coaster.
Big Dave

Traveling backwards on almost any coaster is uncomfortable, especially if its got loads of direction changes.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2
-Prometheus-

Cool idea though!  But yeah, snappy transitions taken backwards on this look like they have potential for big ouch factor.  That straight track section will just be for brakes and blocks IMO.  Darnit Towers, we need some new artwork to give us a clue.  ;)
Coaster_Dude

Please no significant backwards sections, otherwise the ride might as well be called the Vomit Comet.
ubagel

Good point. Given the layout backwards just isn't going to be fun!

We're probably looking at an extended block-brake section in the middle to maximise throughput. If I remember right John Wardley's initial concern with the Mobius coaster was the poor capacity synchronising trains introduces (years ago, maybe pre-nemesis??) And if I remember right capacity is also why Gwazi no longer duels.

But if they can 'buffer up' trains mid-course, Mobius it really isn't going to affect capacity at all. Allow for 2, maybe three trains to wait mid-course and station delays don't 'ripple' through the ride, the mid-course buffer would just smooth them out. Yes, sometimes you may go off without a duelling partner, but this is preferable to holding the whole queue up on a busy day.

Oh yes, very boring answer.So the indoor bit is a worlds first and we have *no clues*. Must be an underwater backwards corkscrew then. Just in case, that last sentence was *sarcasm*.
Johno

Any significant issues that JW had around 10 years ago when designing duelling coasters would now have been 'ironed out' by technology advances.

Look at the dragon coasters at universal, the trains are weighed before they go onto the lift hill!
formula1fan

^But the Dragon Coasters no longer duel after an incident a while back - it's now a 'high-speed chase' between the two coasters.
mrbrightside

ubagel wrote: But if they can 'buffer up' trains mid-course, Mobius it really isn't going to affect capacity at all. Allow for 2, maybe three trains to wait mid-course and station delays don't 'ripple' through the ride, the mid-course buffer would just smooth them out. Yes, sometimes you may go off without a duelling partner, but this is preferable to holding the whole queue up on a busy day.
If this is what does happen I would assume that would make the vertical bit a lift and not a launch... In order to allow for the space that would be needed to prevent a rollback crashing into waiting cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ImageImage
LordOfDarkness

I'm more than certain there will be a launch coming out of the station then up the track, The launch must be pretty slow though considering it will have to be at rolling speed as it goes down the first drop in order for it to be duelling.
[align=center]Image

SamRyan ~ @SamRyanSport [/align]
Krazycoaster

Just had an idea. People think the vertical lift is going to be launched. Zierer do a vertcial hill launch coaster. Perhaps it could be the world's first multi-manufacture rollercoaster. In other words, the first half of the ride is a Eurofighter and the second half is the Vertical Tower coaster. It could be possible however it isn't very marketable!
JaykeAT

What if some ellements of sw7 are what sw6 was going to be like?
Longy

the son on the hole wrote: What if some ellements of sw7 are what sw6 was going to be like?
What?
SW6 was planned as TH13TEEN, so we wont see TH13TEEN again. That would be stupid!

As for the world's first, I have a feeling that it will be an inversion of some sort, possibly the rotating track.

Here is what I think will happen (Although I'll be completely wrong...):

You mover out of the station, into a dark room surrounded by military equipment, and you get a briefing of what will happen to you. Then, something goes wrong, and the spider-machine smashes through the side of the wall, grabs underneath the track and flips you over. You then go though a few inversions indoors before you launch out onto the first lift, into a duel with the machine itself. You could be getting chased by the machine, or chasing after it, hence the dueling element of the ride. There are two different ride types, with two different endings before you get into the station. The first train is told that you are lucky to escape the machine, and that you should be grateful for the help of your fellow test subjects. The second train gets a congratulations message, thanking you for saving the others.
djneice

Don't no if this has been said but in the building could it do a rotation to put you upside down and then you dive down from it into a drop ? Don't  no if there is space for anything like this? Just a idea
Coolbeans14

Krazycoaster wrote: Just had an idea. People think the vertical lift is going to be launched. Zierer do a vertcial hill launch coaster. Perhaps it could be the world's first multi-manufacture rollercoaster. In other words, the first half of the ride is a Eurofighter and the second half is the Vertical Tower coaster. It could be possible however it isn't very marketable!

I hate to break it to you, but the hulk coaster in Islands of adventure is multi manufacturer. the track is B&M, and the launch is a different company (Intamin, I think?)
Longy

Coolbeans14 wrote:
Krazycoaster wrote: Just had an idea. People think the vertical lift is going to be launched. Zierer do a vertcial hill launch coaster. Perhaps it could be the world's first multi-manufacture rollercoaster. In other words, the first half of the ride is a Eurofighter and the second half is the Vertical Tower coaster. It could be possible however it isn't very marketable!

I hate to break it to you, but the hulk coaster in Islands of adventure is multi manufacturer. the track is B&M, and the launch is a different company (Intamin, I think?)
Nope, I'm pretty certain it's B&M.
They keep saying that they're not actually happy with it...
Blaze

Longy wrote:
Coolbeans14 wrote:

Nope, I'm pretty certain it's B&M.
They keep saying that they're not actually happy with it...
B&M got someone else to do it. Don't think it was Intamin though.

The Zierer launch on Wicked in just magnets. Any company can do that.
RickiAscension

Vampire at Chessington is 'technically' multi manufacture...

Originally made by Arrow, but I know Vekoma supplied a new train and some other improvements in 2001...
RickiAscension

Just proves how much I know about coasters...I think 'Arrow' is possibly the design? god knows...