The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
ImURNemesis

If there is a launch on the bottom of the veritical lift then surely it would be painful and give the riders whiplash. Unless they are brakes at the top of the lift. Which would be pointless as a launch is suppost to have a big impact on the rides speed.
badboi787

ImURNemesis wrote: If there is a launch on the bottom of the veritical lift then surely it would be painful and give the riders whiplash. Unless they are brakes at the top of the lift. Which would be pointless as a launch is suppost to have a big impact on the rides speed.
But if there would be a vertical launch it would use LIM/LSM instead of a hydraulic launch, which Superman Escape from Krypton and Mr. Freeze use to launch their car backwards and as far as I know both rides don't give people whiplash or is painful.
Blaze

That's because they're very slow launches. To get the speed required to crest the hill would require a lot of acceleration. Which is why I just don't see why it would launch when a lift would be much more cost and energy efficient and achieve the same purpose.
ImURNemesis

badboi787 wrote:
ImURNemesis wrote: If there is a launch on the bottom of the veritical lift then surely it would be painful and give the riders whiplash. Unless they are brakes at the top of the lift. Which would be pointless as a launch is suppost to have a big impact on the rides speed.
But if there would be a vertical launch it would use LIM/LSM instead of a hydraulic launch, which Superman Escape from Krypton and Mr. Freeze use to launch their car backwards and as far as I know both rides don't give people whiplash or is painful.
LIM/LSM Require a lot of juice which Alton doesn't have enough of. I'm with Blaze on this. It would only end up costing the park more money for something that a traditional lift can do.
Longy

Could they just have a fast chain lift, which wouldn't be as fast as a launch, but also wouldn't take up too much power, similar to Intimidator 305?

I can't see the ride being launched up the vertical section as it is pointless; It would barely improve what is already a fantastic ride.

The world's first will, most likely, be inside the building, similar to TH13TEEN.
The turntable idea would've had to be put on the plans would it not?
ImURNemesis

Longy wrote: Could they just have a fast chain lift, which wouldn't be as fast as a launch, but also wouldn't take up too much power, similar to Intimidator 305?

I can't see the ride being launched up the vertical section as it is pointless; It would barely improve what is already a fantastic ride.

The world's first will, most likely, be inside the building, similar to TH13TEEN.
The turntable idea would've had to be put on the plans would it not?
I'm rather sure that Thirteen's drop didn't need submiting as it was inside Thirteen's station. Can't see why this would be any different. We don't even know if SW7 is going to be a "worlds first" coaster.
NastyPasty

Yes, we do. I'm pretty sure it was confirmed at the Th13teen Evening, by John Wardley. ;)
Keep on whistlin', folks.

mrbrightside

It's been confirmed in the Towers press release too. TT News covered it I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ImageImage
Mi-Nigle

spark wrote: Don't think you read the posts below the pictures, it's not the track for sw7
I did read them, I was speaking hypothetically.
Bunbury

Could that not just mean the duelling element?
mrbrightside

It could. But it could be anything. As nobody knows it's fun to speculate :)

ImageImage
The Terminator

Could it be possible to do a full circuit forwards back to the station and then be launched backwards for another circuit backwards, 16 inversions total.
It would explain the different levels in the station, but would require a high capacity train type.
I WILL be back
RyanY

Yes it would be possible but the throughput would be dire. Because it would only be able to run 1 train unless it used a mr freeze sort of loading and the trains wouldn't be that long because the elements are to tight.
spark

I'd say they will market it as duelling in some way, it won't be anything like the cars going backwards its just not AT
Big Dave

I just hope we don't get yet another gimick coaster. Can we not just have a decent, generic coaster?
mrbrightside

I think it's clear from the layout that this coaster looks to be a brilliant thrill machine regardless of any worlds first marketing. If there is a gimmick then fair enough, but I doubt that any gimmick will detract from the experience that this ride is sure to bring.

ImageImage
Big Dave

It will if the ride constantly breaksdown and has worse throughput than spinball.
spark

It's a good layout and length which has sadly been lacking in ALL of AT's rides since Nemesis
NastyPasty

spark wrote: It's a good layout and length which has sadly been lacking in ALL of AT's rides since Nemesis
Bit harsh. I think that Air and Th13teen have unqiue and intriguing layouts.
Keep on whistlin', folks.

RyanY

I agree, I think Air's layout achieves the best possible flying experience for the height limit and the size. And Th13teens layout is good for what it is, a family trill ride.

But SW7's layout looks as good a Nemesis' in my opinion. :D