The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
Ritadz

After looking at that track, I've had a thought. The heartline of that inversion looks tight to me, so you'd think it'd be taken at a slow speed (like the pre lift hill roll on SAW) but that is tri rail track, which is intended for handling the increased forces when the car is going through the track faster.

So basically it's a tight inversion with the track intended for fast inversions. Strange much?
Dingerbell

That track looks completely different to any type of Gerstlauer track I've seen (unless someone has seen something the same). The typical launch track is like this:

As in, bi-rail.

EDIT- also, that track is curved, meaning (if it was a launch) then the first lift may be a launch.
dominoes

I have heard that the track won't be delivered until september, so I'm not sure... But if it is an upwards launch, then that would be awesome...
JoeGibbon

Have Gerstlauer ever done quad-rail track like the one in the second picture? Also, I though that the track arrived ready for bolting together, if so, why is someone still welding it together?
James6

^ Yes, the first was Takabisha in Fuji Q.

You can just about see it here Image

And I also find it hard to believe that this was taken at the Alton Towers warehouses, mainly because its un-painted..
Last edited by James6 on Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P
Coke

Don't want to burst any bubbles here, but after doing a reverse image search the box track image that was posted on the last page was first posted in 2010 here:
http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... photo.html

:cry:

Are you thirsty?
dominoes

Yeah, on Coasterforce they said the first one was from Iron Shark. So yeah, sadly I think it is fake...
starbugger1303

I knew it wasn't reliable.. Oh well, it was exciting while it lasted.

Thanks for clearing it up Coke.

:)
Mi-Nigle

I don't know whether it's paint or just dirty but I love the look of rawness that track has. If they do end up going for a dilapidated theme for the station, that texture for the track would compliment it.

I don't want them going for that theme in the first place, I don't think it fits with X-Sector, but if they did it would be nice to see them do it well.
spark

Don't think you read the posts below the pictures, it's not the track for sw7
Dormiens-Dave

We will put aside the fact Towers never store new track indoors because they don't have the space... nearly all delivered track for new coasters arrives in car parks J&K for some reason.
pluk

and not for some time yet I'd imagine, considering no ground prep has even started yet.
Total Unique Ridecount
NastyPasty

Dormiens-Dave wrote: We will put aside the fact Towers never store new track indoors because they don't have the space... nearly all delivered track for new coasters arrives in car parks J&K for some reason.

And for this Secret Weapon, that's gonna be a lot of track.  ;)
Keep on whistlin', folks.

mrbrightside

Interesting (but totally ridiculous and probably unlikely) idea for the worlds first element. Bare in mind this has come to me without checking if something already does this or even looking at the plans again...

The long straight bit of track before the vertical lift... Which is presumably some block brakes and a launch... What if it featured some form of turntable, which turns the cars backwards and then launches them off the rest of the track in reverse.

I doubt that is a feasible plan though as I would assume the forces involved and track layout are not suitable for going in reverse. However, would it be a worlds first if you do one half of the coaster forwards and one half backwards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ImageImage
Coaster_Dude

mrbrightside wrote: Interesting (but totally ridiculous and probably unlikely) idea for the worlds first element. Bare in mind this has come to me without checking if something already does this or even looking at the plans again...

The long straight bit of track before the vertical lift... Which is presumably some block brakes and a launch... What if it featured some form of turntable, which turns the cars backwards and then launches them off the rest of the track in reverse.

I doubt that is a feasible plan though as I would assume the forces involved and track layout are not suitable for going in reverse. However, would it be a worlds first if you do one half of the coaster forwards and one half backwards?

What about Thirteen, that does part forwards and part backwards?
NastyPasty

mrbrightside wrote: Interesting (but totally ridiculous and probably unlikely) idea for the worlds first element. Bare in mind this has come to me without checking if something already does this or even looking at the plans again...

But then you'd enter the station backwards and during the next cycle would turn forwards halfway around... it's an interesting theory and is feasible, however it's unlikely in my opinion.
Keep on whistlin', folks.

JoeGibbon

Coaster_Dude wrote:

What about Thirteen, that does part forwards and part backwards?
And most shuttle coasters aswell :D
mrbrightside

Mm true, though in those cases the train doesn't turn, it just follows the same track. I guess it is essentially the same thing - though it would be interesting if one car was in the station backwards and one car was forwards and they switched halfway through.

This is all just silly rambling though to be honest.

ImageImage
Bunbury

I'm pretty convinced that we're going to see a vertical launch on the ride, from tha very flat section. This also makes it marketable next to Oblivion, as a sort of sequel. That notoriously goes down vertically and quickly, and SW7 will do the opposite.
djneice

If it does launch you, its going to have to slow up pretty quickly to get over the top because wasn't it a bit tight?