The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
nemesismad

Just had a crazy thought ( can't see it happening )  but seen as though this is a speculation topic i'll throw it out there  :D

Is there a coaster anywhere in the world that is all in reverse ? If there is i can't think of one, what if sw7 was the "worlds first completley backwards coaster" haha, can't imagine it to be that comfy but it'd be pretty thrilling going through all those inversions in reverse. Imagine going up a verticle lift backwards hahaha. Just a thought i had just now so don't shoot me down i thought it'd be fun to post and see what people thought.  :)
Dingerbell

X: NWO at Thorpe :)
Chaz

^ X:\WTF
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7
RyanY

I hope at no point this ride goes backwards, Th13teen already does for a part of the ride so I doubt it will go backwards as well.

One thing I'm still puzzled about is if they use normal eurofighter cars, then how on earth are they going to get a throughput of any more than 1000 people per hour? Surely they have got to be aiming for a throughput of more than 1300 they could end up with another Rita, were the queues are always quite long.

I don't think that we will see anything spectacular inside the building, although it is a possibility. I think that they will go with worlds first self dueling coaster or the worlds first could be something to do with the trains. Maybe the trains could recline you during the right, sort of like a 4D ride but not with 360 degree turning, but like a reclining chair. I highly doubt it though.
nemesismad

Th13een isn't fully backwards though. Should of thought on x:/no way out forgot about that, x:/ no way out is literally thee worst coaster i think i've ever ridden in my life
Jiminy Cricket

I dont understand how you can get the general public excited about a ride that duels with its self.
James6

It's a massive coaster with loads of inversions and various elements, with what looks like great theming. What is there not for them to get excited about? They will eat it up.
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P
spark

Plus people will or should be excited about the near misses it's likely to offer
Bubbaride

ryanyoxall wrote: One thing I'm still puzzled about is if they use normal eurofighter cars, then how on earth are they going to get a throughput of any more than 1000 people per hour? Surely they have got to be aiming for a throughput of more than 1300 they could end up with another Rita, were the queues are always quite long.
Would it be possible for them to load 2 cars at once, send them both out of the station at the same time then immediately stoping the 2nd car until it is able to go. Whilst this is happening the next 2 cars could be loaded and in the time it takes to load the cars the 2nd car should be already up the lift hill?
This would be loading 16 (i think) people at one time instead of just 8
Sorry if this doesn't make sense, it does in my head I just can't put it into words.
TomahawkTom

I think that is how they do it with Saw
Jiminy Cricket

James6 wrote: It's a massive coaster with loads of inversions and various elements, with what looks like great theming. What is there not for them to get excited about? They will eat it up.
Yeah but your missing what i said , i cant see how the world 1st would be self duelling, i don't think the words "self duelling" with entice people, i cant see that being marketable.
James6

Ahh sorry!  I see what you mean but they'll find a way, if it won't entice the public, i'm sure they'll just market another element.

Also I've been thinking about the indoor section, and these constant rumblings of the inversion record. Maybe they could have a special track element within the building similar to this...

http://www.maurer-rides.com/x-coaster/x-car/  (Press X car video and skip to 1 minute 30)

This gives them a World First in a fairly small space. Another benefit would be that if the inversion record was ever broken, they could just increase the number of inversions it did.

Just a thought :)

(And I'm not suggesting the ride will be an MS, this just showed what I was imagining best) :)
Last edited by James6 on Wed May 30, 2012 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P
The Psychoaster

James6 wrote: Ahh sorry!  I see what you mean but they'll find a way, if it won't entice the public, i'm sure they'll just market another element.

Also I've been thinking about the indoor section, and these constant rumblings of the inversion record. Maybe they could have a special track element within the building similar to this...

http://www.maurer-rides.com/x-coaster/x-car/  (Press X car video and skip to 1 minute 30)

This gives them a World First in a fairly small space. Another benefit would be that if the inversion record was ever broken, they could just increase the number of inversions it did.

Just a thought :)

(And I'm not suggesting the ride will be an MS, this just showed what I was imagining best) :)
Hmmm, would that count as a proper inversion though considering you aren't moving? It would be a fairly awful experience, just static rotating 360 degrees.

Those cars though are exactly what I want to see on SW7 - lapbars, freedom of movement for the shoulders and the seats look fairly comfortable as well.  :)
Poison Tom 96

Bubbaride wrote:
ryanyoxall wrote: One thing I'm still puzzled about is if they use normal eurofighter cars, then how on earth are they going to get a throughput of any more than 1000 people per hour? Surely they have got to be aiming for a throughput of more than 1300 they could end up with another Rita, were the queues are always quite long.
Would it be possible for them to load 2 cars at once, send them both out of the station at the same time then immediately stoping the 2nd car until it is able to go. Whilst this is happening the next 2 cars could be loaded and in the time it takes to load the cars the 2nd car should be already up the lift hill?
This would be loading 16 (i think) people at one time instead of just 8
Sorry if this doesn't make sense, it does in my head I just can't put it into words.
SAW runs this strategy. You get a talk from the Billy Doll if you are in the second car.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2
starbugger1303

I don't know if this is reliable or not, but this has turned up in Alton Towers' workshops..

Like I said, I have no idea how reliable it is.

:)
Blaze

Looks like Gerstlauer track to me.
Dingerbell

^ Well if that's correct, then that confirms that it's a Gerstlauer (to certainty). The track looks weird from this angle, but to me, it looks like an inversion (possibly a part of the Sea Serpent Roll), however, I'm not sure.
RyanY

That looks like gerstlaurer track to me. Could it be the top of the butterfly role, cobra role or the batwing? :?
Blaze

I'd guess it was for the weird bent bat-wing, but it's definitely an inversion.

It's definitely Gerst. The support connections show it's no tan Intamin.
starbugger1303

Here's another one. Looks like a launch section to me..