The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
Nightfall

CoasterCrazyChris wrote:
coastermaster wrote: in the plan the kiosk in the que could be the small bh kiosk
But in the plans it shows a rectangular kiosk ?
The rectangle could just be a place marker for the kiosks actual shape. Alas it is probably a shipping container though.

As for the rumour on Wikipedia I'm afraid that whenever I hear a suggestion of more than 9 inversions it immediately screams over hyped enthusiast to me. I won’t rule out the idea but want a genuine and reliable source before I start believing it. As for the 4D seats it's fairly pointless. When I'm riding a roller coaster I don't want my experience to be spoilt by being poked and grabbed. That's what I ride Sub-Terra for. Plus they say the complete coaster design hasn't been released... looks pretty complete to me, most other parks don't release this much information this far in advance.

Thanks for highlighting this though. I just hope people don’t blindly believe it (judging by past situations like this some people probably will :no: )
[align=center]Image[/align]
The Psychoaster

nkay101 wrote: I realise this looks suspicious as this is my first post (although I've been a regular reader to the comments in here for a few weeks), and I only created my account to post this, and it probably looks like what I'm about to point out is something I put up there to get attention, as the chances of me just looking on there and seeing this apparently hours after it was put there are very slim...however...that said, I will stress this wasn't me, but I was interested to hear thoughts as to whether this could be true or is bull...

On Wikipedia (I know, don't believe a word of it) someone added today re: SW7 :-
Reports and multiple researches carried out by Alton Towers confirm that SW7 will be a Gerstlauer EuroFighter with 12 loops (a worlds first). It will also contain features in the seats that add an extra element (they poke and grab you). As of now, a name hasn't been leaked, nor has the complete coaster design. However, the worlds first elements are the "4th dimension" seats and the 12 loops.
There appears to be no references to supposed "researches", and I know from reading other threads you guys think 12 is unlikely, so seems "fishy" to say the least...  :?

Neil
Absolute load of rubbish, and badly written rubbish at that. "Reports and research carried out by Alton Towers" - why would they need to research details about their own ride?

I put that Wiki page together, as well as the Sub-Terra one, and every few weeks I notice some idiot putting a load of illegible rubbish on there as though its factual.  :x Gone now though  :)
The Psychoaster

Hahaha as I was about to remove it, I noticed someone else has edited it in the meantime...
Reports and research carried out by Alton Towers confirm that SW7 will be a Gerstlauer EuroFighter. It will also contain features in the seats that add an extra element. It is widely speculated that these elements are to be vibrating buttplugs, as sources linked closely to Gerstlauer have reported they are currently finalising prototype designs. It is not known whether riders are expected to share the buttplugs, or whether they are removable and cleaned inbetween rides. The latter possibility has been received negatively as it will greatly reduce throughput. As of now, a name hasn't been leaked, nor has the complete coaster design. However, the theme is rumoured to be based on shipping containers and scaffolding. Several shipping containers, 10 truck loads of scaffolding, and industrial sized tins of 'rust effect' paint have been reportedly sighted at Alton Towers and are awaiting installation at the SW7 site.
At least there is a sense of humour in there  :P
Evostance

Dingerbell wrote: The station building goes right to the bottom of the pit I think.
I think the drop from the station to where it exits is about 5m (15 feet), but there's room above the station (the top of the building is 11.3 m). Surely then there could be a lift/powered launch to reach this height?
There's certainly enough space for a dive loop or a heartline roll- but I'm not sure if anything else can physically fit in. On the plans, the thing that confuses me is that the exit of the track into the first lift is under the maintenance building, and there's really a very small amount of space it can fit in.

This plan pretty much shows it all: http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov.uk/upload/PublicAccess/REV%20station%20plan%20&%20elev%20(39854).pdf

Also, another thing that confused me. The emergency exit is on the opposite side of the building to the station. How would this be reached, and why is it there? Does this mean a possible walkthrough section through the building- because I'm not sure how it would get there otherwise. Does anyone know why this is there?
Im pretty sure the curved section at the back is just going to hold a gentle helix down to the station if im honest.
PeteB

No it isn't.

That's the retail building, and when looking from the top you could imagine the incoming track doing a helix and then joining on to the outgoing track, but that isn't going to work because the curved retail building isn't high enough. The incoming track is higher than its roof.

We've got another Th13teen here. Something significant is going to happen inside that building because there's no standard way of joining those two tracks together. There must be a moving section of track.
adsyrah

It's been noted that the building is tall and I think spoken about on this thread before. There has also been talk at the Pleasure Beach AGM or something (again in this thread) that the ride will feature the world's steepest drop.

Could the ride leave the station turning ever so slightly to the left, climb vertically, perform a 120-180 degree "drop" before flipping over so people are upright and facing towards the lift hill?

I think going the full 180 degrees would be painful, but something like 140 degrees coupled with a twist in the track while it levels out to horizontal could work. The track would effectively drop under the station.

I can't see this happening as Oblivion's USP would be nullified. But then again, it depends on how the ride is marketed.

EDIT: This really is a ridiculous idea! Don't flame me for thinking out loud!
Last edited by adsyrah on Tue May 29, 2012 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adsyrah

Okay, going to throw something different out there (hence the double post).

I'm assuming this ride will have disabled access, so how come the ride track enters the building above ground level but all the rider entrances and exits are at ground level? There could be ramps inside, but the building seems too cramped for that.

Logically, it seems the ride loading and offloading will be at ground level.

So I reckon the whole of the upstairs is reserved for some kind of show at the end of the ride.
Coaster_Dude

There's no way that any park would build a ride with the worlds steepest drop and hide it away inside a building where it can't be seen. I'll be very curious to see how the layout inside the building turns out though, as it all seems a bit of a mystery. A SAW-esque drop in the building would be welcomed by me, although I don't really think there's enough room for much cleverness in there.
Blaze

adsyrah wrote: Okay, going to throw something different out there (hence the double post).

I'm assuming this ride will have disabled access, so how come the ride track enters the building above ground level but all the rider entrances and exits are at ground level? There could be ramps inside, but the building seems too cramped for that.

So I reckon the whole of the upstairs is reserved for some kind of show at the end of the ride.
That's a new idea, and it's a pretty good one. I remember Wardley saying he likes to have a proper finale, which the layout doesn't really have. I assumed there would be lifts, but an indoor finale rather than opening is an interesting idea. Not sure what they could do though without it being out of place.
Coaster_Dude

SAW's platform is on the top level remember, so a disabled lift isn't out of the question.
adsyrah

Coaster_Dude wrote: SAW's platform is on the top level remember, so a disabled lift isn't out of the question.
Ah. I've never ridden it, so didn't know that.
Dingerbell

Blaze wrote:
adsyrah wrote: Okay, going to throw something different out there (hence the double post).

That's a new idea, and it's a pretty good one. I remember Wardley saying he likes to have a proper finale, which the layout doesn't really have. I assumed there would be lifts, but an indoor finale rather than opening is an interesting idea. Not sure what they could do though without it being out of place.
Hmm, Blaze that's definitely a interesting idea, and it could maybe happen, but it would be a launch (probably), as on the plans it shows a piece of straight track entering the building.
PeteB wrote: No it isn't.

That's the retail building, and when looking from the top you could imagine the incoming track doing a helix and then joining on to the outgoing track, but that isn't going to work because the curved retail building isn't high enough. The incoming track is higher than its roof.

We've got another Th13teen here. Something significant is going to happen inside that building because there's no standard way of joining those two tracks together. There must be a moving section of track.
I agree, this is almost certainly the retail building, as it is much lower to the ground than the station building, but it's impossible to rule anything out yet. I also think it would be really hard to reach where it leaves the station, as there is so little space that can be occupied.

Finally, and something that's been overlooked:
The thing that confuses me the most is the position of the emergency exit. It's on the opposite side of the building. This is really weird, as the queue-line has already be shown in the plans. Or has it?
djneice

Do you think they will tell us or let us see plans for the inside or will they keep that part secret as it gives people something to think about?
But like anyone I am intrigued by what can happen in the building as I do like saws indoor section, and so if they improved on that I would be very happy. I do this it could be interesting if this happened at the end of the ride rather than the beginning if that's possible?
Nightfall

djneice wrote: Do you think they will tell us or let us see plans for the inside or will they keep that part secret as it gives people something to think about?
If Th13teen was anything to go by they won't release any information about the inside section until several days before opening when the whole thing will be spoilt by a crummy video on GMTV without any prior spoiler warnings. I expect SW7 will follow the same patter (hopefully minus the GMTV video) unless it turns out that there’s nothing especially unique about the inside section in which case we might find out from a promotional image
[align=center]Image[/align]
smudge.

As vertical construction starts on September , was it?, might we see the 'indoor section' being built? If the station building is a 'proper building' the track will have to go up in advance wont it?

I am probably underestimating how much they can actually do in close season though.

Tbh i cant see the indoor section being anything other than a little bit of extra track (ala saw) maybe with a small post /pre show (on-ride like blue fire maybe? ) *hopes*
Dingerbell

smudge. wrote: As vertical construction starts on September , was it?, might we see the 'indoor section' being built? If the station building is a 'proper building' the track will have to go up in advance wont it?
Yes, this happened with Saw.
Anyway your clearly underestimating the ingenuity of Alton. The designs of their coasters are the cleverest I've seen (due to the height restrictions), and so I would expect something big inside the station, and the world's first is almost certainly inside (if it's not it's either in the car- possibly- vertical launch- I don't think this will happen- or mobius duelling coaster- too simple), it may be most inversions or a different kind of switch track. Therefore, I am led to believe that Alton will go for a good world's first inside the building.
smudge.

Without a doubt the designers have to think 'out-the-box' so to speak, but words first of its kind switch track? Although not really marketable ( i dont think ) maybe you are on to something? Could the track do a loop? i mean just turn over 360degrees? Worlds first? I still stick by my bet, that it will be nothing other than what we see with saw though.

To break the inversion record they will need 3 or 4 inside the building. The building really isn't that big in comparison to other indoor section roller-coasters.
Dingerbell

I thought of it after seeing BigAl's switch track idea.

http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/rct-and- ... tions/210/
Adam

I would hazard a guess that the station building will be built BEFORE any track is installed, as that is most probably going to be hiding some of the secret elements of this ride... potentially...
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
Bote

Depending on what happens inside it could happen either way around. Logic would say that they will construct a frame for the building and probably drape it in tarps to hide what they are building inside. It's a quick and cost effective way to hide what is being installed, without over complicating the process.

Alternatively, they could construct just a couple of faces and leave one side open to work through. This would give people something a bit more aesthetically pleasing to look at. If they maybe left the rear of the building open until the main work was done it'd only be viewable from the service area, and that area is never seen by guests normally.

I think as soon as the concrete floor is up we'll see the pilings going down for footers and building foundations. Once the building is nearing completion the majority of the outer track work will begin to spring up :)