The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
BigAl

They should do something similar to what they did for Oblivion and X-Sector. Fence the whole ride area off properly rather than the cheap fence that's there now and hire actors to patrol the perimeter. They could also fit sensors that trigger a warning when someone touches a fence or gets too close, etc... (isn't that what they did for Oblivion? :? )
smudge.

CoasterCrazyChris wrote: I reckon to build Nemesis today would cost at least £25 million.
The cost of Nemesis in 'today's' money is £15m, taking general inflation into consideration.

Maybe £16-17m at a push, but no way £25m!

Can we not just have another one of them please  :D
thefatone

Taking inflation into consideration, yes. But when the price of steel and general landscaping work has risen way more than inflation, I would assume that chris is about right.
spark

Anyone got any pics of the current site with the tent being dismantled?
mrbrightside

spark wrote: Anyone got any pics of the current site with the tent being dismantled?
Construction Discussion
ImageImage
smudge.

thefatone wrote: Taking inflation into consideration, yes. But when the price of steel and general landscaping work has risen way more than inflation, I would assume that chris is about right.
Although steel has, at times, risen more than 'inflation', it is still factored into general inflation. In 2009 for example, the average price of steel almost halved over the year. landscaping carries a heftier bill as you say, bu this is because of fuel, labor etc, which is factored into inflation as-well.

I'm not saying my figure is correct, but to cost an extra £10m ("at least") on-top of inflation, ( the same amount the whole project cost 18 years ago ) I think is a bit exaggerated that's all.

£10m to £15million (£5m) = 100% inflation
£10m to £25million (£15m) = 300% inflation - I doubt to be the case; for 18 years straight anyhow.
LordOfDarkness

Are you ready for your mind to be blown?

SW7 Logo upside down, Swap the M with the S.  It spells LSM,  Which stands for launched coaster.

Which coincidently Gerstlauer use LSM for their launched rides.

If image dosen't show look here: http://www.coastersandmore.de/previews/ ... _lsm_2.gif

Gerstlauers prototype LSM... Where have we seen that launch/ascent before? They also said that Gerstlauers LSM's are all about airtime which could explain the bunny hop hills.

http://www.coastersandmore.de/previews/gerstlauer_lsm_launch/gerstlauer_lsm_launch.shtml <- Intresting read just use google translate on it!

That M Also looks alot like a spider...

I have to much spare time on my hands.
Last edited by LordOfDarkness on Fri May 11, 2012 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[align=center]Image

SamRyan ~ @SamRyanSport [/align]
BigAl

You're looking into things faaaaaaar too much! :P

An LSM would be good but Alton Towers doesn't have enough... juice, for such a ride to use so quickly. :/
The Psychoaster

May I suggest that perhaps, as Al has just posted as I write this reply, that is taking the speculation a bit too far  ;)

EDIT - Just noticed, interestingly, in that article LOD just posted it mentions the train capacity:
The system will only require a connected load of 150 kW (150,000 watts). This is achieved through small trailer combinations with a maximum of two cars coupled together, the latest generation of LSM ( Linear Synchronous Motor ) drive modules with high efficiency and a mechanical energy storage system in the form of a flywheel.
Perhaps SW7 will be two cars?
Last edited by The Psychoaster on Fri May 11, 2012 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyanY

Two cars. Yes Please, that would probably make throughput 1.6 times better than just one car. And I think someone worked out that if they used normal euro fighter cars then the throughput would be 860 ish so times that by 1.6 and you get 1,376. Which isn't fantastic but is better than Rita and most of the rides at Thorpe Park.
SIMR

*warning*you are now entering th13teen territory*warning*

As creative you may be, LordOfDarkness, I think that's a little too in-depth thinking. :P

I do hope there is more than one car on a train - ~800pph is not enough for a new thrill ride in Britain's biggest theme park. Even more worrying, is that if the ride is self duelling, I presume the pph would be knocked down a fair bit due to stalling some cars to match the trains up so they duel at the right time.
starbugger1303

I highly doubt the coaster's throughput will be less than 1,000 pph... John Wardley said in 'Themes,Dreams and Screams Machines', he would never consider a ride with less than 1,000 pph.

:)
Joelio

starbugger1303 wrote: I highly doubt the coaster's throughput will be less than 1,000 pph... John Wardley said in 'Themes,Dreams and Screams Machines', he would never consider a ride with less than 1,000 pph.

John Wardley also said GET. A. LIFE!

;)
Johno

Nah, this thing will have to be a throughput beast. 1400 pph at least.
BigAl

starbugger1303 wrote: I highly doubt the coaster's throughput will be less than 1,000 pph... John Wardley said in 'Themes,Dreams and Screams Machines', he would never consider a ride with less than 1,000 pph.

And yet Rattlesnake at Chessington has a maximum throughput of 900 riders an hour. :?
AstroDan

900? I saw a sign tacked onto the operators cabin on Rattlesnake that said 450.

Matterhorn Blitz is one of the highest throughput wild mouse, with dual loading station and even that only just scrapes 960.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk
CoasterCrazyChris

AstroDan wrote: 900? I saw a sign tacked onto the operators cabin on Rattlesnake that said 450.
Jesus.

If it wasn't for the Rattlesnake's superb theming and landscaping and the fact they could never fit or get planning permission for anything else in that pit, I would advocate the ride be torn down and sold for scrap.

I mean 450?! That's ridiculous even for Chessington.
BigAl

AstroDan wrote: 900? I saw a sign tacked onto the operators cabin on Rattlesnake that said 450.

Matterhorn Blitz is one of the highest throughput wild mouse, with dual loading station and even that only just scrapes 960.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk
That's just what RCDB said. I knew that was too high, but I guess that's what it should be.
LordOfDarkness

SIMR wrote: *warning*you are now entering th13teen territory*warning*

As creative you may be, LordOfDarkness, I think that's a little too in-depth thinking. :P

I do hope there is more than one car on a train - ~800pph is not enough for a new thrill ride in Britain's biggest theme park. Even more worrying, is that if the ride is self duelling, I presume the pph would be knocked down a fair bit due to stalling some cars to match the trains up so they duel at the right time.

Hey, You gotta keep the mind active at interesting times like these ;)
[align=center]Image

SamRyan ~ @SamRyanSport [/align]
PeteB

Can I just let it be known to everyone that ride cost of Th13teen was not £15m. It was much much less as the £15m budget had to include things like marketing and also the retheme of the areas amongst others.

This is why the ride budget is a LIE. Its all for the purpose of marketing gimmicks - i.e. make the people think that we are investing more and more money into furture rides.  A similar thing is happening with the £20m quoted for SW7. It's all lies.

Go back to 1994-98, and the budget for Nemesis WAS actually £10m, Oblivion £12m.  Alton Towers had an annual marketing budget at the time of around £4m.

This is why Th13teen looks so cheap in comparison, because it was a cheaper ride. Figures were manipulated to make it look expensive. I dont have a problem with Th13teen or SW7, I just hate Alton's current manipulation and deceit tactics!
Last edited by PeteB on Sat May 12, 2012 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.