The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
loaster

That looks awesome, but would it fit inside the building? Plus there is only one part of the track inside, how would both be in there?
I would certainly like it to be incorporated into a future ride in the UK though!
Blizzard

Remember, We still have no confirmation of how deep the building goes underground, for all we know, it could open up in a large cellar underground with an indoor section like saw, possibly giving the ride afew more inversions, & this is a big maybe, the worlds first 12/13 looping coaster!

I won't get my hopes up, but the Towers are well aware that the enthusiast community manage to find ride plans. So whats to say they havent "Hidden" the underground part & given the planning authorities a seperate "Secret" document containing im going th13tten style here What lies within!

Just thought I'd throw some ideas/possibilities in!

:D

Credit To SIMR for the signature & Avatar.
CoasterCrazyChris

Blizzard wrote: Remember, We still have no confirmation of how deep the building goes underground, for all we know, it could open up in a large cellar underground with an indoor section like saw, possibly giving the ride afew more inversions, & this is a big maybe, the worlds first 12/13 looping coaster!

I won't get my hopes up, but the Towers are well aware that the enthusiast community manage to find ride plans. So whats to say they havent "Hidden" the underground part & given the planning authorities a seperate "Secret" document containing im going th13tten style here What lies within!

...just like when Oblivion was under construction everyone speculated about underground inversions.
Blizzard

CoasterCrazyChris wrote:
Blizzard wrote: Remember, We still have no confirmation of how deep the building goes underground, for all we know, it could open up in a large cellar underground with an indoor section like saw, possibly giving the ride afew more inversions, & this is a big maybe, the worlds first 12/13 looping coaster!

...just like when Oblivion was under construction everyone speculated about underground inversions.
Well that was just plain silly, it would be near impossible to have tunnels with that many bends & hills/decents. Even if it were, the cost would have been huge! And i'm sure while the ride was being built, everyone had a rough idea of the budget. (I was only 1 so wasn't there for the hype!)

It seems withing the huge budget for SW7 that they could POSSIBLY have some hidden features. A gerstlauers are not anywhere near as expensive as a B&M, therefore meaning more track can be built...

:)

Credit To SIMR for the signature & Avatar.
BigAl

If such an element were to be included, it would probably take place upon exiting the station but before the lift (like the heart-line/jojo roll on Hydra) and then at the end of the ride (so, after the brakes, the car then goes inside the building and does a final duel with the riders going in the opposite direction).

But like I said, it's highly unlikely that this is anything at all. :P
formula1fan

Late on Saturday evening, I was in McDonalds at Blythe Bridge with Kelpie, Islander and RustyRider, and we ended up on the subject of SW7, and what the 'secret weapon' could be. One thing that came up was the possibility of 'trick track' inside the building. The track enters and exits the station building at different levels, and one theory we discussed was the possibility of the track itself flipping 180° so that the car is upside down, but facing in the same direction, and then entering a dive loop of sorts, before eventually leaving the building. Of course, it would be expensive, and would require some very good engineering solutions, but it might just work.
RyanY

I was thinking about that. But I though what would be the point of that when a inline twist would do the same job for a lot less money and less maintenance. Although if we did see something like that it would be the perfect time for a pre show. :D
JoeGibbon

It's a good idea, but how would they market it? And the last SW was based purely on trick track. Although as said before, this has an amazing layout aswell to back it up.
Satch

But that risks it being another "Thirteen", where the worlds first feature is a hidden section of track that acts as a trick-track.
RustyRider

It's really hard to explain the idea without speaking in person, but essentially you would enter onto the trick track, the whole track inverts 180 degrees, the brakes release and you dive into the lower section of the station then into your traditional in-line gerstlauer element, therefore putting a new twist (mind the pun) on a traditional element.. It wouldn't be painful as it would only be for a few seconds, plus with lap bars it would create a whole new dimension to the fear factor...watch this space people!
Ladies and Gentlemen, our first SuperHero TTFer :D - Magrathea.
Ritadz

Satch wrote: But that risks it being another "Thirteen", where the worlds first feature is a hidden section of track that acts as a trick-track.
Thirteen is a poor coaster that's main element is the trick track. This would be a good coaster with trick track attached.
Blaze

This idea was brought up a while ago. Reliability would be an issue, what if it seized while inverted, for example?
RustyRider

Blaze wrote: This idea was brought up a while ago. Reliability would be an issue, what if it seized while inverted, for example?
The same could be said for g-force no?
Ladies and Gentlemen, our first SuperHero TTFer :D - Magrathea.
loaster

I really don't think this is going to have a trick track in the building. As has been said, its been done with thirteen. I especially think it won't be done on SW7 as thirteen was SW6, I think an element like that may be included in future rides, but not one after another. I really can imagine people thinking of it as "thirteen 2" if it did involve a trick track.

Do we have any idea how far the building could go under ground? Realistically, for the 20 million budget, with the track, station, theming, and landscaping, how much would be left over to create an underground section of the station?

By the way, is the removal of the Black hole tent, and other site clearance included in the budget for the ride, or is that a separate cost? (Also is the ride marketing part of the budget too?)

Sorry for the questions, I'm just interested in how much of the 20 million will actually go on the ride.
smudge.

Its for the whole project inc marketing etc & deconstruction. I wouldnt imagine the deconstruction of the tent would of been ruinous, infact a lot of demolition firms don't get paid, but take away the scrap. (especially if a building is full of say, copper wiring) i don't know if the skeleton & canvas would cover it, probably not, but it would be subsidized by it.

This is a guestimate:

£12m landscaping & hardware
£2m other ride systems
£3m theming
£3m marketing

I cant remember where I read this, and not too sure with the figure, but wasn't blivvys hardware only £6m or 7m? the rest went on the hole & THEMING! (hence why it & nemmy are still a class above the rest)
Bote

Personally I can see the themeing costing a fair bit more than £3M. Given Studio's prices I'd bet there's at least £1-2M in the spider alone. then there's theming the exterior of the building, and any internal theming.

Oblivion may have only cost around £7M for the hardware but there's still a fair old lump which would have gone into digging and constructing the tunnel. The same no doubt goes for Nemesis. Turning a grass slope into those ravines can't be cheap :P
Big Dave

The tunnel cost about as much as the ride did on Oblivion. On SW7 I think a huge portion of the budget will be theming to the area and additional costs. The ride system is fairly cheap assuming we are getting a bog standard Gerts

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2
LukeJ

I just hope people realise that the budget won't be exactly £20m. Probably more like £18-19m and then rounded up to look better with things such as standard maintenance on the park etc included in the cost. It's no coincidence that all ride seem to be £15m, £12m etc
CoasterCrazyChris

Bote wrote: Personally I can see the themeing costing a fair bit more than £3M. Given Studio's prices I'd bet there's at least £1-2M in the spider alone. then there's theming the exterior of the building, and any internal theming.

Oblivion may have only cost around £7M for the hardware but there's still a fair old lump which would have gone into digging and constructing the tunnel. The same no doubt goes for Nemesis. Turning a grass slope into those ravines can't be cheap :P
Not to mention with Oblivion the cost of building the huge queue mound and all of the structures on it as well as the Rehydrator and drop zone area.

I reckon to build Nemesis today would cost at least £25 million.
RyanY

I've been thinking about what Merlin did with The Swarm and it leads me to believe that we will see similar things on SW7. Firstly the use of live actors, The Swarm had Lez Cougan a man warning people about the incoming danger. Also The Swarm had staff coming to take him away every so often. This leads me to think that we might see a Lez Cougan figure. But warning people to stay away from the rides because they are deadly experiments. Also we could see X-Sector staff dressed in themed clothes taking the man warning people to stay away every so often.

Also The Swarm has TV screens showing a pre-show sort of thing that works really well and kept a lot of people entertained while queuing. This makes me think that we will see this with SW7, but with a similar effect that the Oblivion video has. But I feel we could see two different video's, one for the outside queuing and one for the the indoor part.

One thing that The Swarm has is a lot vehicle theming objects. SW7 only has one, I think that this is a good move because the X-Sector is supposed to be a secretive place run by the government, and that means they wouldn't let to many vehicles in the area. Also the ugly worn station building that some people don't like, I also feel that having it worn is a good move, because in a place that has experiments taking place, it's more important what we could see inside than what we see on the outside.