The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
Locked
User avatar
MikeJ
New Member
New Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:53 pm

Brilliant news! Looking forward to seeing the construction boards popping up early next season and the first diggger appearing on site!  :D
User avatar
Nightfall
Member
Member
Posts: 2634
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:10 am
Location: Cambridge

Well it's about time  :D good to hear. I do hope the delay hasn't caused too many issues. I expect they were planning to remove the Black Hole tent as soon as half term was over. They won't have much chance before the park reopens if this is still the case.
[align=center]Image[/align]
AstroDan

Nightfall wrote: Well it's about time  :D good to hear. I do hope the delay hasn't caused too many issues. I expect they were planning to remove the Black Hole tent as soon as half term was over. They won't have much chance before the park reopens if this is still the case.
As far as I am concerned, the date in February was effectively a smoke screen to allow more time for consultations or something. Not entirely sure.

Either way, all is on track.
User avatar
Nemesis94
New Member
New Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:55 am
Location: Sheffield

Yay! All those hours slaving over my model were not in vain :-) an update on which... JAMMYD778 has very kindly agreed to do a new video of the "Mark II" model (POV and all), which will hopefully hit net within the next couple of weeks.

But in the meantime ... Bring on 2013!!!
See my No Limits recreation of SW7 (filmed by JAMMYD777) at
Blaze

Time to crack on now, let's 'ave it! 12 months to go... :D
User avatar
Adam
Member
Member
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:07 pm
Location: UK

I suspect work will begin immediately now this have been approved. Think we may be in for a shock next weekend
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
AstroDan

Staffordshire Easter Holidays begin Friday, 29th March next year. So I reckon Alton Towers will be targeting Saturday, 23rd March as opening day.

Bring it!

:)
User avatar
QTXAdsy
Member
Member
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:45 pm
Location: Fife, Scotland
Contact:

Well, at least there is some good news coming from Alton, after some dodgy set of news *cough* new closure times *cough*
Image
User avatar
sixstringhotshot88
Member
Member
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:31 pm
Location: Newcastle upon tyne

this is great news.

really not sure if i'm going to make it to alton this year but if i don't having 2 new attractions to hit up next year will be awesome.
User avatar
Stelios7
Member
Member
Posts: 2218
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:22 am
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.
Contact:

Great news, just before the new season. Some good news to lighten up these tough times. To be honest, after reading the reports I didn't see much to oppose to even from a locals perspective.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
User avatar
adsyrah
Member
Member
Posts: 341
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:39 pm
Location: Manchester
Contact:

Excellent news!

And more pushing from AT that this is a world-first ride!
Image
User avatar
smudge.
Member
Member
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:54 pm
Location: Midlands

adsyrah wrote: Excellent news!

And more pushing from AT that this is a world-first ride!
So I guess this does confirm the 'worlds first' statement...?

I predict that the tent will be down by next weekend & we will already have a boarded off site with advertisement all over it. Such an investment as this will be shoved down the GP's thoughts with OTT statements.

There is a LOT to be done, I look forward to the pics/views of construction from the top of Oblivion, just hope I don't drop my camera if I cant get it back in my pocket in time for the drop :) my fingers are like butter.
User avatar
Rollercoasters4Life
Member
Member
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:34 am
Location: Crewe, Cheshire

smudge. wrote: So I guess this does confirm the 'worlds first' statement...?

I predict that the tent will be down by next weekend & we will already have a boarded off site with advertisement all over it. Such an investment as this will be shoved down the GP's thoughts with OTT statements.

There is a LOT to be done, I look forward to the pics/views of construction from the top of Oblivion, just hope I don't drop my camera if I cant get it back in my pocket in time for the drop :) my fingers are like butter.
Argh, great more Oblivion stops at the top/lift hill because of people wanting to take pictures of the construction of SW7...can't wait! :roll:
Image
Poison Tom 96

smudge. wrote:
adsyrah wrote: Excellent news!

And more pushing from AT that this is a world-first ride!
So I guess this does confirm the 'worlds first' statement...?

I predict that the tent will be down by next weekend & we will already have a boarded off site with advertisement all over it. Such an investment as this will be shoved down the GP's thoughts with OTT statements.

There is a LOT to be done, I look forward to the pics/views of construction from the top of Oblivion, just hope I don't drop my camera if I cant get it back in my pocket in time for the drop :) my fingers are like butter.
Hmm not the cleverest idea taking the camera is it now
User avatar
smudge.
Member
Member
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:54 pm
Location: Midlands

^ Ill have to use that other magic photograph taking device then... ;)

I have only seen oblivion stopped once for this since its opened (not saying it doesn't happen) & it was a girl swinging it about trying to film her and her friends, I'm sure any sensible person would be a little more reserved with it. (I suppose you could argue its not sensible in the first place, but my original post was in half jest)

Is there somewhere else you could get construction pics from (other than if the park release any)?

Maybe a blurred/action one from Enterprise, or if you hold the camera upside down on Submission? ;)
Last edited by smudge. on Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Nightfall
Member
Member
Posts: 2634
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:10 am
Location: Cambridge

smudge. wrote: Is there somewhere else you could get construction pics from (other than if the park release any)?
May I recommend the top of the tower closest to Oblivion. It’s at the same height as the top of the drop although the trees might get in the way in the summer. I believe it's open normally. At least nobody stopped us and we only walked through doors that were wide open and areas that other guests were already exploring.
[align=center]Image[/align]
User avatar
mrbrightside
Member
Member
Posts: 996
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: Norwich

The point being made is that cameras are not allowed on Oblivion and so you shouldn't be using one anyway - regardless of how secretively you hold it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ImageImage
User avatar
smudge.
Member
Member
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:54 pm
Location: Midlands

mrbrightside wrote: The point being made is that cameras are not allowed on Oblivion and so you shouldn't be using one anyway - regardless of how secretively you hold it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What about if I use my iPhone using Tapatalk?  :lol: okok, camera's are bad, I consider myself spanked  :roll: although I'm sure no one would complain if you seen full pictures of SW7 when others are blocked with trees.
User avatar
Rollercoasters4Life
Member
Member
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:34 am
Location: Crewe, Cheshire

/\ I would rather people didn't use a camera and get partial photos of SW7 from the tower than have some burk use a phone and then get Oblivion halted which only causes problems for the ride staff, the people in the queue & the people on the ride with you.

Also sure that Alton Towers themselves will release pictures from the top of Oblivions lift anyway (they would be mad not to utilise the high), we will just have to wait for them - which builds up to a little treat for when we do get them.
Last edited by Rollercoasters4Life on Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Johno
Member
Member
Posts: 1603
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:21 am

When saw was being built, someone used a watch based camera?

Also, who knows. AT may have a flikr page like they did for 13?
Locked